• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV / FMTV AC Air Conditioner Compressor Mounting Brackets Install Write Up

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL. Maybe an index post with links?
That might work. I just know I was searching for the posts about different bolt sizes and had yours and Scottmandu's and just thought instead of having, I think about 10, different threads with varying information that it'd be a lot easier if it was all in 1. I still don't know what the size and length of the new fan bolts need to be. I'm hoping to have everything together to have someone else install it for me and it'd be best if he didn't need to stop and run 20 miles in to town to get 3 or 4 bolts that I could have pre-stocked.

coachgeo

Overdrive

mkcoen,

I have not installed a primary belt pulley yet that would need longer fan bolts. I have been told that my prototype pulley is on the way to me. When I get to it I will post up bolt info for that.

bikeracer917

Hi. I'm in the process of obtaining all the ac system parts. Everything is pretty easy to find. The auction site has a bunch. I noticed that some of you were trying to find the crank pulley. It's available at the caterpillar dealer. For my c7 its only $188.65. I didn't ask about the idler pulley but would think that they have it as well. Probably the belt also. Hoses can be built with Aeroquip ez clip fittings. Easy.... I found the same compressor from an online supplier for $249.00. Wiring is something I haven't gotten around to yet. Annyone have any input for wiring on a cat c7???

acropilot

I posted some of this in the AC thread but thought it would be helpful to have its own write-up for the AC Compressor brackets installation. This is a write up using the two key upper and lower brackets used to install an air conditioning compressor on an LMTV. I did this installation on my 1997 A0 LMTV with the CAT 3116 engine.

Installing item #12 (upper bracket) and #15 (lower bracket) in the diagram

View attachment 620237

Here is the compressor mounted up using the two brackets. CAUTION is required as you are unbolting the left front engine mount bolts for the lower bracket, a few front engine cover bolts, and unbolting the ONLY two bolts that hold your air pump/power steering pump to the front cover/engine.

In the diagram for the brackets it shows a spacer (item #14) inserted on the rear engine mount bolt between the block and the lower bracket. I need to find a suitable washer or spacer and stick it in there. As it is, you MUST NOT TIGHTEN the lower bracket bolts (2 engine mount bolts) until you have ALL the upper bracket bolts installed (engine cover, pump) and attached to the lower bracket loosely otherwise you will be cursing and trying to use a pry-bar to get the lower and upper bracket bolts to match up... Don't ask me how I know this, Jedi training
View attachment 620238 View attachment 620239

I used longer metric bolts (of the proper strength same as the factory CAT bolts) for all the engine cover and pump bolts since the upper bracket adds about a 1/4". be VERY careful to not jar the air compressor loose when doing this. My Air pump did not move when I unbolted it but do this at your own risk since yours may move. Also, the threads on the lower bracket that attach the upper bracket are easily stripped. I stripped one and was able to drill it out and put a nut on the bolt. You can see the three grade8 bolts with the 4th hole the one I stripped.
View attachment 620240
I eventually routed the big wire loom behind the bracket for a cleaner appearance and to not pinch anything.

View attachment 620246
Pic of two longer bolts I used for the Air Pump.

It looks like ALL the threads on the upper bracket are clogged with powder coat and machining residue so you MUST chase them with a tap or you will mess up your bolts/threads.

For the AC compressor to upper bracket and upper to lower bracket I used SAE bolts. All other bolts already on the truck were metric.

View attachment 620241 View attachment 620242

When your done please be sure to torque your two left front engine mount bolts... Actually check them ALL since I found all of mine to be scary loose.
View attachment 620243

You MUST torque the engine cover, air pump, and engine mounts to spec... you do not want your air pump coming loose going down the highway. It is REALLY tight in there once the brackets are in place but I was able to torque those bolts.
View attachment 620244 View attachment 620245

I hope folks find this helpful.
OD

Here is a picture of a Cat C7 with the AC already installed. The picture was sent to me by a buddy that had bought the C7 on Govt. Liquidation. Thanks,

TonyIMG_1616 copy.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
That looks like an MRAP JERRV C7 engine not LMTV. I dont think that big alternator will clear the cab hump. I do have those bracket kits though.

coachgeo

...How do you attach pictures?
One way to post pics is using the Insert Image Icon in the row of little icons in the area above the box you type your post in. It is in the 3rd row in the 3rd from the end menu box. Looks similar to this icono-insertar-imagen.pngimage. Here it's a photo of a tree with corner tabs holding it in a photo album like mom use to do lol. You can probably figure it out after that. If not post up and someone will chime in to take you further.

Last edited:

bikeracer917

I guess because I'm a basic member of this site that I can't post pictures. There is no icon to attach pictures.
The ac compressor goes on the driver side. Alternator is passenger side. There is a v-groove pulley that mounts on the crankshaft behind the cooling fan. It can be purchased from Ringpower corp. It's around 180.00. I found the correct sanden compressor online also. It was 320.00.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks