• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV starting issues

reelclassic

Still having trouble starting my LMTV. Has to be a wiring issue. Have installed a new fuse panel, new ignition rocker switch (which now gets power). Battery's are all
new. Push red ignition switch and nothing. I saw a video on how to start an LMTV and it showed the owner pressing the brake down. I don't currently have air in my
tanks for the brakes. Could it be related to a pressure switch telling the ignition the brake is engaged? Also, I am missing the CTS system. Could it be related to the CTS?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't have to hold the brakes for it to turn over or start. The CTIS system shouldn't be a factor either as many of the trucks have the CTIS unplugged anyway. My CTIS works but I have unplugged it before so that I could run a little higher tire pressure, and mine cranked and ran just fine. Actually my CTIS module was unhooked when I bought mine at auction and I drove it that way then too.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you turn on the ignition, do the instuments jump on and the low air warning starts to scream? When you press the red button, is there any clicking anywhere?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Don't you have another thread on this? His truck is an A1 so a bit more to this. You need to diagnose. Does the fuel solenoid engage when you turn on the power switch? Do you have proper power to the engine computer? You can jump the starter solenoid to crank the engine. If it has fuel and the engine computer is powered and properly operating it should start like that. You can work backwards on the push button issue. It's very possible the trans ECU is not happy and it will prevent cranking for stuff like neutral safety.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't you have another thread on this? His truck is an A1 so a bit more to this. You need to diagnose. Does the fuel solenoid engage when you turn on the power switch? Do you have proper power to the engine computer? You can jump the starter solenoid to crank the engine. If it has fuel and the engine computer is powered and properly operating it should start like that. You can work backwards on the push button issue. It's very possible the trans ECU is not happy and it will prevent cranking for stuff like neutral safety.
Looks like 2 other threads on starting issues .
[h=1]Need Assistance with LMTV in Jacksonville, FL[/h]
[h=1]Realln need help with LMTV[/h]

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is no "it's this" forum answer for your issue. And I don't have an A1 troubleshooting manual. The cat dealer should be able to plug into and run diag on the truck.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It also could be the crappy start relay over in the right side penal, I have run a hot wire from the hot post on the starter to a added push button on the dash then back to the starter solenoid start post. I have had a few lmtvs that had starting issues, some no start, others only started when the truck felt like it. When ever I went to recover a lmtv, I had with me a remote starter rig just in case of no dash start, and the same with previewing, I found most no start other then batteries (jump truck took care of that issue), was the start relay, besides being a crappy relay, there is about 8 different senders that all need to be aligned with the stars to make the start relay happy. ALL I can say is that the lmtv/mtv trucks are a super duper TACTICAL truck, ideal for the battle field, great trucks to be DROPPED on isis, A whole new meaning for the usage of "truck bomb"

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
In the first gen trucks the VIM module will cause a no start if the trans ecu sees something it dosnt like. You can open the vim and use a jumper lead to bypass each relay one at a time. In the A1 trucks there is no VIM the trans ecu does it all.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Its accessed behind the passenger kick panel. No fuses. You need to start small. Does the fuel solenoid work with the dash switch? Engine ecu power also? 24v at starter? Can you jump
the start solenoid and crank the engine?

cheesehead dave

Could you give me a quick overview of your bypass wiring. We went to the hot side of the start solenoid back to a push button switch then back to the start solenoid with a 20 amp fuse in between. Works great. What do you think?

Wes11293

New to this I apologize but I really need some help stranded here.. I have a M1078A1 that didn’t have power at all to the dash.. I replaced the ECM and now have power to the 24 and 12V side on the Power panel lugs. The solenoid jumps the started when jumpered and everything has power as it should to start.. only issue is now when I push the red start button nothing happens?? Any help on this because I’m about to just wore the button straight to the solenoid at this point. Also all the relays and CBs are brand new as well

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks