• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV to OE18, Our Achilles Heel and other diversions...

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chapter 1.

We had been planning a long trip in 'Thor' for some time. Overland Expo seemed like a great way to test the recent modifications made and see some beautiful country at the same time.

We departed Gardnerville, NV at a decent morning hour on Tuesday the 15th. The goal was to travel as far as Alamo, then head into an early camp spot near the venue in Flagstaff on Thursday morning. We had passed through Tonopah and had just about gotten as far as Warm Springs, when we began to hear a loud intermittent clicking noise coming from the front of the truck. I also noted that the volt meter twitched each time the 'click' was heard. The further we went, the more frequent the clicking. We eventually pulled over for a break and I left the truck to idle. Now, each time I heard the click there was a slight hesitation, like a miss, in the engine. As the truck was still running strongly, it was decided to keep pushing on to Alamo where I would pop the cab and have a closer look. The clicking continued, and as we descended toward the 93 junction, it quit running! I muscled it over to a shaded area, and began looking for the problem. As first, I thought it was fueling as there appeared to be a clogged vent line for the dual tanks. I blew out the debris with the truck air, and tried pumping fuel back into the system, but no go...

I called the Windmill Inn, to let them know we were going to be a late check in, and asked if they know anyone locally who was good with diesels. They said Yes, call Jason. I took the number as the afternoon was quickly turning to evening, I called the number. Jason answered, and I briefly explained our problem with the 3116 Cat that had died. He said he would be out in 20 minutes. Jason turned out to be a local rancher who had another business of fixing things. All kinds of things. We finally narrowed the problem down to the Fuel Cutoff Solenoid. We guessed the intermittent clicking was due to a loose ground lead with eventually caused the unit to burn out. After securing the truck for the night, he and his son gave us a ride to our hotel. He said not to worry and he would give me a call in the morning.

At this point I was amazed at the generosity of this stranger who took time away from his family (7 kids!) to come out in the dark and rescue a complete stranger. I made a comment to his son about angels appearing when you needed them most, as we said good night and parted company. At least we wouldn't be sleeping in the back of the truck next to the highway that night. :clinto:

Pointman

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chapter Two...

That night I logged into the hotel Wi-Fi and learned as much as I could about the 3116 fuel system and this evil 'Solenoid'. I also learned that they were only $80.00 or so on two popular on-line sites. The only problem there was that the nearest one was only days away, as in arriving after Overland Expo.. So, the next morning I called the Yellow Parts People at Cashman in Las Vegas. They could have one for me in North Las Vegas the next day. Only $308.00, including the proper tool (CAT #9U5120) needed to properly remove it. Sometimes I think there must be a lot of gold in that yellow paint..

In order to insure this part never failed again, I also made sure to order the special tool..

The next morning, Jason texted and said he would be over shortly. When he arrived he was in his nice pickup, a late model Ford F-350 double cab. He said he brought this in case we had to drive to Las Vegas to get any parts. Apparently his Cummins equipped Dodge with ranch bed was somewhat less in the comfort department. After calling Cashman, I was assured they did have the part in Los Angeles and could have it there the next day. Just to be sure, I ordered it. Jason had a plan 'B', so after making sure Mrs. Pointman would be OK at the hotel, we went of in search of his friend with a motorcycle parts business located in the area. This friend had an old loader that just happened to be powered by a CAT 3116, and Jason suspected he might lend us the part for a few days to get me on my way. At this point, it was worth a chance and would get us out of there in time to catch the event.

After arriving, the friend was not around. His Daughter-In-Law told us to take what we needed. After promising to return it and get them a new one to boot, we were on our way back to see how Thor survived the night at the Roadside Rest. After checking the wiring setup, which was a bit different than what the military used, we were able to connect the leads and rig a second power source that would shut the fuel off to shut the truck down. With the power on, I hit the starter and it fired right up, first time! After high five-ing each other, I paid my rescuer for his time and trouble. I promised to return the part when done and hurried back to the Windmill to collect the missus and get on the road to Flagstaff, and the event!

Pointman

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got home last evening after a howling rain storm all the way from Fallon to Gardnerville. I had the new part sent to Cashman in Sparks and will collect it later this week.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In order to insure this part never failed again, I also made sure to order the special tool..
Best insurance ever! Do you have a picture of the tool? Is it something that we could reverse engineer and make a 3D printable version, or is it heavier duty than that?

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will have it in hand later this week, and will continue the post and story with repair photos then, thanks!

I am told that most folks just use a punch and hammer in the little mounting homes to get them out. This can ruin the mounting holes. TM specifies 50# torque using the tool, so i decided to order it. I do not recall is being very pricey, but a huge time saver if you need to remove the solenoid. I plan to keep a spare in my tool box, just in case...

Pointman

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish we’d have had a chance to meet up. Did you look closely at the trucks next to Brutus with the travel trailers for habitats? A little pricey especially since they pulled the hydraulics and you had to tilt the cabs with the ha d pump.

Duckworthe

I saw the trucks and know someone that went that route. Works for the short term. In the long run the camper will come apart little by little. They didn't even put matching tires on them. But it is an option to do it that way. Just not for me, or for that price.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next chapter will deal with OE. We did meet all of the LMTV folks. The 'travel trailer' guys happen to also be based in Gardnerville. We will not be going that route. One of the trucks running the Michelin's suffered a blowout on their trip to the event. A couple of us marveled at why they would have not changed over the to the higher speed rated Goodyears.. :doh:

Pointman

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We will not be going that route. One of the trucks running the Michelin's suffered a blowout on their trip to the event. A couple of us marveled at why they would have not changed over the to the higher speed rated Goodyears.. :doh:
They don't know what they don't know yet. agazza and I stood around talking to them for probably an hour trying to explain the trucks to them and items to look for. They apparently have been here before (SS) but didn't know where the TM section was and are building the trucks without access to any of the manuals.

Last edited:

Duckworthe

From my point of view you get the following- a new truck with warranty. for example... a 1997 LMTV brand new. its the same thing that ICON is doing with the old Scouts and Land Cruisers. Just making them new and modern. I don't know what the prices were but you start at one level and go up from there. They said that all rubber items/seals/bearings are replace even if they didn't leak on the truck and the rest are inspected. They seem to really know these trucks well. They hire guys who used to build them in the factory if they can. Can't really beat that,as long as they are quality employees and those I met seemed to be.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Duckworthe. Their trucks were spotless and something I wouldn't be concerned with any more than any other NEW vehicle. I like the little extra step they added to the cab. I'd probably do that myself if I was keeping my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks