• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV's show me your WINCH

Newbie here, in the process of trying to find the LMTV for me, but doing a lot of research.
I know a few LTMV"s come with the 'factory' winch, but that is in the way for me in my mind for adding an extra gas tank, storage box, etc..
Also all the pieces to it that could go wrong.
I am considering 2 of these, one for the back & one for the front:
What have you done, and got any good pics of how you have mounted them front and/or rear...
Thank you

muddiver

Newbie here, in the process of trying to find the LMTV for me, but doing a lot of research.
I know a few LTMV"s come with the 'factory' winch, but that is in the way for me in my mind for adding an extra gas tank, storage box, etc..
What have you done, and got any good pics of how you have mounted them front and/or rear...
Thank you

Thank you
No not yet, the well has gone dry with this Covid19, which is right at the time I went all in looking for one locally. Nothing new has popped up locally for a while. Hoping some do soon that are 'drivers'.

Just buy a winch truck. Its side mounted you can pull from the front or back.
Correct me if I'm wrong but because it's PTO you can not put the truck in gear while the winch is engaged. If so, it is a huge drawback. Winches are meant to assist recovery of the truck. Not being able to put your truck in gear during recovery is a huge problem.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Correct me if I'm wrong but because it's PTO you can not put the truck in gear while the winch is engaged. If so, it is a huge drawback. Winches are meant to assist recovery of the truck. Not being able to put your truck in gear during recovery is a huge problem.

The pto will kick it off when you put it in gear. Just a crappy Parker setup. You can however get a Muncie pto to go in its place that can work in gear and even up to 30mph. Or a pto that is always engaged at any speed. They are pretty cheap at around 1300$

The pto will kick it off when you put it in gear. Just a crappy Parker setup. You can however get a Muncie pto to go in its place that can work in gear and even up to 30mph. Or a pto that is always engaged at any speed. They are pretty cheap at around 1300$
Gotcha. Anyone have picks of aftermarket front and back winch setups? I am really leaning that way.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you are in any area that you will need the winch alot I would not go with the Sherpa.

The 18k warn is around the same price. I would go with the warn that member hardhead has then for sale

If you are in any area that you will need the winch alot I would not go with the Sherpa.

The 18k warn is around the same price. I would go with the warn that member hardhead has then for sale
These trucks are too big for an 18000 pound limit. Yeah you can use pulleys, etc. for mechanical advantage, but you want to have an adequate power plant to begin with. Sherpa is 25000 pounds and actually engineered to exceed that.

Third From Texas

The thing to remember is that a winch rated the same weight at your truck is *still* going to need a snatch block system.

Reason: the added resistance of being stuck will often exceed the capability of the winch

So forget the SWR trucks, IMO. Far too over-priced for a winch not even rated to the weight of our trucks.

Get a Sherpa and don't look back...

*guy on the LMTV FB group just got a pair of them (one fore and aft) and it's still cheaper than the extra cash for a winch truck (just forget the expense, shipping, and time of trying to retrofit a SRW onto a non-SRW truck

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
These trucks are too big for an 18000 pound limit. Yeah you can use pulleys, etc. for mechanical advantage, but you want to have an adequate power plant to begin with. Sherpa is 25000 pounds and actually engineered to exceed that.

They have the 18k warns on 27,000lb MATVs. Simply use a snatch block. It will single line pull it just fine. Using the snatchblock even on a not hard pull is fine. I have a 13k electric and it has to be triple lined to pick up my 8500lb trailer neck over a roller. Use pulleys regardless of the wjnch
They use the same side mounted winch from the LMTV on the M1075 PLS trucks that weigh 53,000lbs. Winch can do the work just fine with blocks

The 18k warn is pretty over built compared to the Sherpa.

I was the first person here really to go with the sherpa On a 5 ton. I know what they can do vs the people who have never bought one.

On any electric winch using a snatch block will mean less wear and tear on the motor.

Unless you are using a massive hydraulic winch like a 45k. Use a block. Even the m35s have a 10k winch on a 13,500lb truck. 5 ton trucks have a 20k hydraulic/pto winch on trucks that weigh 17,500lbs to 44,000lb. Why would they put a 20k on the front of a 44k lb wrecker if it couldn't do the job

Last edited:
The thing to remember is that a winch rated the same weight at your truck is *still* going to need a snatch block system.

Reason: the added resistance of being stuck will often exceed the capability of the winch

So forget the SWR trucks, IMO. Far too over-priced for a winch not even rated to the weight of our trucks.

Get a Sherpa and don't look back...

*guy on the LMTV FB group just got a pair of them (one fore and aft) and it's still cheaper than the extra cash for a winch truck (just forget the expense, shipping, and time of trying to retrofit a SRW onto a non-SRW truck
Completely agree. Like I said, snatch blocks are great for reducing wear on the system but starting with the right size power plant to begin with, is essential. It is what it is no matter how many snatch blocks you use.

They have the 18k warns on 27,000lb MATVs. Simply use a snatch block. It will single line pull it just fine. Using the snatchblock even on a not hard pull is fine. I have a 13k electric and it has to be triple lined to pick up my 8500lb trailer neck over a roller. Use pulleys regardless of the wjnch
They use the same side mounted winch from the LMTV on the M1075 PLS trucks that weigh 53,000lbs. Winch can do the work just fine with blocks

The 18k warn is pretty over built compared to the Sherpa.

I was the first person here really to go with the sherpa On a 5 ton. I know what they can do vs the people who have never bought one.

On any electric winch using a snatch block will mean less wear and tear on the motor.

Unless you are using a massive hydraulic winch like a 45k. Use a block. Even the m35s have a 10k winch on a 13,500lb truck. 5 ton trucks have a 20k hydraulic/pto winch on trucks that weigh 17,500lbs to 44,000lb. Why would they put a 20k on the front of a 44k lb wrecker if it couldn't do the job
You're the only person I've heard of who's owned both a WARN and Sherpa winch. What sizes were they and what were there differences?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's not a lot of truth to this. You get an SRW setup off a donor truck for a couple grand, and it includes everything you need. There is no "retrofitting"... it's very straightforward bolt-on, plug the wiring harness in, and go. I'm installing mine now.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You're the only person I've heard of who's owned both a WARN and Sherpa winch. What sizes were they and what were there differences?

The warn has double mounting arrangements meaning it can pull against itself or over the top. The sherpa can't do this.

Duty cycle on the warn is longer with an OLI and thermal protection, the sherpa does not. The warn 18k is listed as a long duty cycle winch. Sherpa simply states 30 seconds and watch Temps on the motor, which says nothing.

Warn has a bigger cable. 12mm on the sherpa, shade under 1/2", vs 1/2" on the warn. Sherpa claim 31 000lb on their cable but every 1/2" cable you can buy has a break strength of 26,500lb max. This is why the 20k wrecker crane has 1/2" cable vs the 20k front winch has 5/8" cable.. dont want to overload the crane.

Spring load tensioner is nice on the warn.

Sherpa does have a 9hp motor vs the warn 4.5hp.

Warn has 85ft of cable, sherpa has 115ft.

If I were going to be dependent on a winch I would go hydraulic. 20k winch can handle 280ft of cable. Or nearly 400ft of half inch cable. This would give you 80,000lb of pulling power at 100ft distance quad lined This hydraulic setup could easily be done by a 6hp yanmar motor with 9 to 15gpm pump on the frame rail. This will be slow but will pull. There is a high volume belt driven pump that could be mounted on the motor and run off the alternator. These are reasonably priced.

Or a HATZ diesel engine to run a generator, pumps etc for the overland guys. This is a 26hp small diesel engine from a bomb loader. Simply connect every with a lovejoy.

There are some crankshaft driven pumps for the 3116 but they aren't common.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks