• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locker selection for daily driver

TacticalDoc

Daily pick up (Silverado 2010) "4x4." I guess this would apply to CUCVs too. Don't take it off road much but if I do I want to have the ability of having at least 3 wheels with power. I also don't want something that needs the seals changed when you go in water or anything that requires much maintenance.

My two questions are:

1. Which lockers?
Automatic....Detroit, Gov-lok, EF?
Selectable...Ox, Eaton,ARB?

I'm thinking of something automatic because selectable are more complex and require more maintenance but they are also harder to drive and more wear on tires. Maybe the Ox locker would be my choice since you wouldnt have electronics or compressed air to deal with and its selectable.

2. Rear axle, front axle or both?

I'm thinking just in the rear axle which would give me power to 3 wheels at minimum. but may do both if I go with a selectable locker like the Ox.

Suggestions or comments???

ARB
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/howto/21459/index.html

PS I have done some research and looked at old posts on SS... if this is redundant I'll delete it.

Last edited:
How deep are your pockets, and how hard core do you offroad?

As this is a daily driver, on paved roads most of the time, limited slip in rear, open front diff.

Avoid full lock up automatic as they can be a bit exciting when powering through a corner.

Next step up would be ARB Air lockers.

Many have automatic full locker in rear with ARB in front, and have learned live with the quarks of the rear...accelerating, lifting the throttle, then accelerating again, can be rather "high pucker" type moment.

Some hard core types keep the front open differental for extra stability going up steep hills off angle. Seems to.reduce sliding sideways back down hill.

TacticalDoc

mostly it will be on road but want the ability to get traction off road if needed. I also dont want ARBs because you have to change the seals when waterfording and needs maintenance. If I go with a selectable locker a simple wire controled one like Ox would be a good choice because its a simple design...I think.

I think I would go with a automatic locker in the rear axle alone.
Or, automatic rear locker and front selectable wire controled locker like the Ox.

I want simple and low maintenance lockers. That rules out ABRs and electric. If I'm correst this only leaves the wire controled selectable locker like Ox.

Anyone have experience with the wire controled Ox Lockers?

K10A

DETROIT true tracs front and rear will be all you need. Auto, no maint no quirks.

Untrue on the ARBs. The OX do not function very well from what I hear from ppl in the know.

TacticalDoc

DETROIT true tracs front and rear will be all you need. Auto, no maint no quirks.

Untrue on the ARBs. The OX do not function very well from what I hear from ppl in the know.

will they be difficult to drive with since the majority of driving will be on road

can I ruin them if I make sharp turns and give it gass or will it just wear out the tires?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No-Spin differentials from trachtech have been providing traction dependability since 1941. Commonly called a Detroit Locker today. Understand their few quirks and adjust you driving accordingly and you will never look back. I have ultimate faith in them.

TacticalDoc

No-Spin differentials from trachtech have been providing traction dependability since 1941. Commonly called a Detroit Locker today. Understand their few quirks and adjust you driving accordingly and you will never look back. I have ultimate faith in them.

Can I ruin the Detroit lockers if I don't drive it correctly. I say this because I'm sure I can adjust but have a wife that may not and I dont want to ruin the lockers.

Also, a big factor is maintenance and durability. So, which needs more maintenance and which will wear out faster?

I would think Detroits will wear out faster since they are always functioning especially if driving mostly on road.

TacticalDoc

Unlikely that you will hurt a Detriot/Eaton.

The other thing is that Detroits will eat up your tires faster and can not be rebuilt.

As far as maintenance what does it take? Just changing the gear oil?

Do any of the Eaton locker parts need to be changed periodically?

What do the cost for just the rear axle?

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

Now I'm thinking of the eaton E lockers because:

1. the lockers wont get worn out when using them on street
2. I wont eat up my tires
3. I can replace the springs and parts for 200 bucks to get it rebuilt
4. the clutch material in the diff fluid doesn't damage the diff bearings, so they can often be reused. When the truetrac wears out & gets noisy, the metal in the fluid pits the bearings & races.

One other thing...I have a factory anti slip switch for rain and a trailer tow button. Will they affect the lockers.

ii

Last edited:

ODdave

Are you towing with the truck? If so true lockers are frowned upon. They will stress the crap out of one axle and can even cause it to break.

Look in your golve box at the build codes. Is there a G80..... if so just use the locker thats in it.

mudman

You are going to need to be able to control the front locker (be able to disconect it) when not needed, besides breaking your stub axle, You will either need 40 acres to turn around or if driving down the road...You will be in the ditch. Trust me a fully locked up unit with no way to unlock the front is not the way to go at all.!! Oh and lockers do not like different sizes of tires either, ned to be all the same size side to side.!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks