• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockout hubs

coke29

Does anyone other than ouverson's directly sell their hubs? I need a set soon and they have a wait of 2-3 weeks before they could be shipped. I am hoping to find a set in-stock somewhere.

plym49

My DD Jeep and Chevy 4x4 have one split axle up front. Disconnecting that one axle shaft lets the front axle freewheel when the transfer case is in 2WD.

And, per this thread, to unlock the forward rear axle, you only need one lockout hub.

So, why not only 1 lockout hub on the front, as well? Would save some $$$ - buy a pair of hubs and a double splined axle, and you can disconnect the front axle and/or forward rear axle for maximum flexibility.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...So, why not only 1 lockout hub on the front, as well? Would save some $$$ - buy a pair of hubs and a double splined axle, and you can disconnect the front axle and/or forward rear axle for maximum flexibility.
This is according to my understanding -

Putting only one lockout hub on the front axle would only make the one side of the axle stop spinning. The other axle side, the differential, and the driveshaft would still spin and remain a parasitic drag.

The front axle is already disconnected from the engine via the transfer case air shift, so the point of a lockout hub on the front axle is not to prevent power transmission to it, but to prevent the road from rolling the axle, differential, and driveshaft. Presumably, wear on these parts would be reduced as well, as they're no longer turning all the time. Steering, certain vibrations, tire wear, and other things may improve as well.

ucfjeeper

Putting only one lockout hub on the front axle would only make the one side of the axle stop spinning. The other axle side, the differential, and the driveshaft would still spin and remain a parasitic drag.

The front axle is already disconnected from the engine via the transfer case air shift, so the point of a lockout hub on the front axle is not to prevent power transmission to it, but to prevent the road from rolling the axle, differential, and driveshaft. Presumably, wear on these parts would be reduced as well, as they're no longer turning all the time. Steering, certain vibrations, tire wear, and other things may improve as well.

The drive shaft wouldn't spin if you have open spider gears. With 1 lockout unlocked, and one drive cap, the spiders would spin inside the diff. Now, the drive shaft may still spin due to friction, but it wouldn't be as bad as if you were running 2 drive caps.

plym49

I am not sure about that. With the transfer case in neutral and one hub disconnected, the ring and pinion will not rotate (neglecting some nominal movement due to friction).

The GM and Jeep 4WD systems I described only disconnect one axle. Disengaging a dog clutch on one axle is the same as opening a locking hub on that axle. With the transfer case in neutral, the remaining (connected) axle will just spin the spider gears as a unit. No wear and tear at all.

I'm pretty sure this will work. I am just mystified why everyone always installs front locking hubs in pairs when only one is needed.

plym49

The drive shaft wouldn't spin if you have open spider gears. With 1 lockout unlocked, and one drive cap, the spiders would spin inside the diff. Now, the drive shaft may still spin due to friction, but it wouldn't be as bad as if you were running 2 drive caps.
I agree. (I did not see your reply when I responded above.)

ODdave

IMO, if your gonna be spinning those spider gears all the time, You better switch to a high grade synthetic fluid. I belive it would work, as long as the carrier holds up.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Spinning the spider gears all the time is a good way to lead to premature failure. They were never designed for that!

Welder Sam

I agree with the beauty of the hobby and a2 part. I may soon even agree with the hubs part. I havent driven it yet. However, i definately disagree with pepsi and may in the future disagree with che[thumbzup]vy. Idk. I drive one now but undecided on a new truck within a month.

Nice rebuttle there bud

plym49

IMO, if your gonna be spinning those spider gears all the time, You better switch to a high grade synthetic fluid. I belive it would work, as long as the carrier holds up.
Over 20 years ago I bought a brand new Chevy 4x4. I was concerned by the way the front axle disconnected - the passenger's side axle disconnected by a dog clutch. I visualized all that stuff spinning around inside, and anticipated trouble.

I now have a quarter million miles on that axle, 99.5% of it with the front axle disengaged. No problems at all and not because of synthetic lube, either.

The same thing can be said for my Jeep.

Obviously, Detroit is happy to produce millions of automobiles set up this way.

No one on this thread has challenged placing just one locking hub on the intermediate rear axle.

I am trying to understand why front locking hubs must be installed in pairs. Other than a sense of symmetry, it seems like it is not needed. Can someone explain if in fact it would cause a problem? And if so, why the situation inside the front axle of a Deuce is any different than the millions of vehicles Detroit has produced with just one axle unlocking?

With only one hub unlocked I think your missing the whole point of lockout hubs. The idea is to stop rotation of the axles, carrier, spider gears and drive shaft when you don't really need them. With only one unlocking hub, that axle, the carrier and the driveshaft are not connected to ground speed anymore. However the other hub that is connected to ground speed is spinning the spider gears at warp speed because the side gears are no longer turning together. In my opinion, you haven't saved anything with one unlocking hub, you've probably created a new problem.

I'm not sure, but I suspect on your Chevy and Jeep, both sides lock/unlock at the same time.

ODdave

Over 20 years ago I bought a brand new Chevy 4x4. I was concerned by the way the front axle disconnected - the passenger's side axle disconnected by a dog clutch. I visualized all that stuff spinning around inside, and anticipated trouble.

I now have a quarter million miles on that axle, 99.5% of it with the front axle disengaged. No problems at all and not because of synthetic lube, either.

The same thing can be said for my Jeep.

Obviously, Detroit is happy to produce millions of automobiles set up this way.

No one on this thread has challenged placing just one locking hub on the intermediate rear axle.

I am trying to understand why front locking hubs must be installed in pairs. Other than a sense of symmetry, it seems like it is not needed. Can someone explain if in fact it would cause a problem? And if so, why the situation inside the front axle of a Deuce is any different than the millions of vehicles Detroit has produced with just one axle unlocking?

Obviously your not up to the times on the chevy disconect style axle huh? There is a TSB on the lube used in the front axle. ALL GM front axles require synthetic lube and the TSB states to replace existing non-syn with synthetic. Yea occasionaly you get one that lives but take a guess what it looks like in there.

But insted of talking about it, Just do it. It your truck so rightfuly your the only one that needs to be concerned about the outcome. It obviously dosnt bother you so why ask for input?

Last edited:

ODdave

Another thing to keep in mind it the construction of the lockout, How long do you think the bearing/bushing will last efectivly spinning twice as fast?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks