• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockouts on the deuce. Wow big diff.

I just put a set of lockouts on my deuce. Wow, what a big difference in road manners. The steering wheel no longer shimmy's in the turns and it seems to roll along a bit more effortlessly. I'm anxious to see if the MPG's increase. I'd recommend this upgrade to anyone that runs their deuce or 5 ton down the road. I have the Selectro lockouts on mine. There are many other brands out there but I've had a set of these on an offroad truck and they've lived through 14 broken axle shafts with nothing more than a couple chipped splines.

MCHoward

I got my lockouts from Ouverson Engineering. Maybe a little pricey. But what a difference. Pull out a rear drive axel, replace it with one of the front hub drive flanges, and the truck really changes it street manners.

connectingbar

I just put a set on mine this weekend and I cant wait to take it for a ride. JT advised me to replace the forward axles with the front caps. This is what he did when he went cross country and all was well and with everything he was loaded down with he had 10mpg.

MO MV man

I just put a set on mine this weekend and I cant wait to take it for a ride. JT advised me to replace the forward axles with the front caps. This is what he did when he went cross country and all was well and with everything he was loaded down with he had 10mpg.
Is it necessary to remove BOTH axles on the forward rear?

I haven't done it yet but I keep reading about folks removing one side and replacing it with one front cap.

timass1

Has anyone here put locking hubs on the first drive axle versus swapping the front caps and what makes putting the front caps on the drive axle achieve. I assume limit slip?

Billy Bobbed

I just bought a set from Clinton at C&C Saturday put them on Sunday.Just drove it today they really do make a very noticeable differance.Better steering,exceleration and less vibration.And they will never lose there value.I see used ones more than I paid for new ones.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it necessary to remove BOTH axles on the forward rear?

I haven't done it yet but I keep reading about folks removing one side and replacing it with one front cap.
No. One side unlocks the axle. Diff still spins due to driveshaft. It's been explained how it works before, and I understand it, but can't explain it in words. I did it to my M35. Don't go offroad, they will get stuck in wet grass without both rear axles and the front axle disconnected.

Last edited:

LanceRobson

No. One side unlocks the axle. Diff still spins due to driveshaft. It's been explained how it works before, and I understand it, but can't explain it in words. I did it to my M35. Don't go offroad, they will get stuck in wet grass without both rear axles and the front axle disconnected.
Not just off road. They can get stuck on gravel.

Lance

MO MV man

Not just off road. They can get stuck on gravel.

Lance
Meaning I'd better wait a month or two for monsoon season to be done here in MO.

My front wheels did nothing backing my Deuce into my yard on Friday.
They just skated along no matter where I turned the wheel......my yard is pudding. :evil:
If one set of my duals was disconnected right now, I would have been a stuck duck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got stuck on a speed bump, slight upgrade, wet sealed asphalt. This coming back from Aberdeen in 05. Only need to pull one axle, there is absolutely no benefit by pulling 2. I've written on this ad nauseum. If I can sell of one of my mostly complete winch kits, I'd shop for a pr of Selectros. Sorry, just can't swallow the look of the OEMs or AVMs.

jatonka

I know I am contradicting what some of my friends are saying here on two parts of this thread and normally I would just sit here and shake my head and post nothing. But I have some substanial experience with deuces in off road and long distance on road driving and would like to offer my observations and opinions. First, disconnecting the front tandem axle will never get you stuck on a speed bump in a parking lot, but taking the intermediate driveshaft out to disconnect the rear tandem sure will. This is from experience. I have done it both ways over the years and you can go a lot of places with the rear tandem and front steering axle doing the work. When we crossed the US in 2008 we went all the way to the Pacific and drove the trucks out on the Beach just north of Newport Oregon, I had no trouble in the sand or coming back up to the road even with the M105 trailer on the back.
Second, I will admit that I am not a mechanical or automotive engineer, but, when you disconnect one side of a differential and leave the other side connected , and there is power transmitted through that differential to the rear axle, wouldn't that cause the spider gears to spin a lot? If both sides are disconnected on the forward tandem axle, then the power transmitted through to the rear tandem axle may not force the spiders to be spinning?
To my friends who have posted already, don't get mad at me, just tell me where I got the wrong idea, to the people who are new here and not "deuce experienced" weigh the comments and do what you want, we all have tried or own ideas plenty around here. JT out

Attachments

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
no you are correct on the spinning spider gears. They are not made to be spinning at high speeds for long amount of time. There are no bearings in the spider gears, just a thin shim.

hklvette

JT,

If you're moving down the road with one axle-shaft pulled, the open spider gear will rotate at the same speed as the one that still has a shaft, at the difference in rotational speed of the ring gear and remaining shaft is zero. For this reason, I can see no benefit (maybe turning radius) to removing a rear axle shaft unless one were to remove the rear-rear axle shafts (or use lockouts) and the inter-axle drive shaft so that the rear-rear differential gears aren't spinning.

As for the front axle, using an air-shift t-case, lockouts allow the shafts, differential gears, and drive shaft to stop rotating since they are powered from neither end, eliminating that source of parasitic drag.

my 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks