• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Log of my M1165. Project Joshua.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know some have done that. I’m not sure if I’m up to the challenge.

EDIT Jan 10-2024 - In retrospect after having performed an IP swap, NDT is absolutely correct. Loosening the injector lines at the engine and then removing the pump might be easier than fiddling with the injector lines at the rear of the injection pump. Reinstallation with loose lines at pump and engine seems also smarter and easier. Not obvious when starting this job but obvious after performing my first swap. Thank you NDT

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s alive!!! And just in time for Halloween.

She started right up after injector lines were purged. Batteries were half dead. Made no difference.

Thanks again to amazing support from RWH and forum members. Special thanks to Hummer H1 for his help! Eric kicks ass.

Alternator and regulator work!!!

Even found buried treasure.

I’ll post videos later this week.

The oil cooler leaks, gonna replace the stack. Radiator will get a 4-core rebuild.IMG_1057.jpegIMG_1054.jpegIMG_1060.jpegIMG_1068.jpegIMG_1089.jpeg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m back in NYC, planning my next trip to Cali.

Engine is sealed up but also covered with a tarp.

Batteries were charged and then removed.

Vehicle is on “mothballs”.

Dreaming of finishing the job and going for a meandering offroad drive.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone here use/install the MRE food warmer.

I have one and I want to know best place to install and best uses.

Looking to use it on long off the grid trips.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone here use/install the MRE food warmer.

I have one and I want to know best place to install and best uses.

Looking to use it on long off the grid trips.
I have the RAK15 mounted in my truck, but it's not the best mounting and a little unconventional.
Currently I have a 40mm can bolted to the top of my radio tray as lockable storage. I then used standoff nuts on the posts on the back of the RAK15 and bolts into them from the side of the ammo can.
Power is not permanent install. I was given a slave port cable that ends in a computer power plug that I made an adapter for to plug the ration heater into.

Not the best mounting solution, but I haven't come up with anything better yet.

Best use I've found is treating it like a crock pot. It warms food slowly, so you do have to plan well ahead for when you want to eat, but having hot water available is really nice when it's cold out.

I found I did have a pic of it, so here it is. Definitely needs more work, but it's already kind of cramped in my 2 man truck as it is.
View attachment 911540

Attachments

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the RAK15 mounted in my truck, but it's not the best mounting and a little unconventional.
Currently I have a 40mm can bolted to the top of my radio tray as lockable storage. I then used standoff nuts on the posts on the back of the RAK15 and bolts into them from the side of the ammo can.
Power is not permanent install. I was given a slave port cable that ends in a computer power plug that I made an adapter for to plug the ration heater into.

Not the best mounting solution, but I haven't come up with anything better yet.

Best use I've found is treating it like a crock pot. It warms food slowly, so you do have to plan well ahead for when you want to eat, but having hot water available is really nice when it's cold out.

I found I did have a pic of it, so here it is. Definitely needs more work, but it's already kind of cramped in my 2 man truck as it is.
View attachment 911540
Thanks Coug. How long will it take to warm food (in minutes or hours) +/or warm enough water to make 4 cups of tea?

My plan is to begin hitting the trails with HummerH1 in the M1165 this January.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Coug. How long will it take to warm food (in minutes or hours) +/or warm enough water to make 4 cups of tea?

My plan is to begin hitting the trails with HummerH1 in the M1165 this January.
Not sure the actual amount of time it takes, as I usually turn it on just as soon as the glow plugs stop cycling, and don't use any water out of it for at least an hour. The food is going to depend on multiple factors, because the food is in a pan, inside of the warmer, and so there will be dead air space around the food packages. doing one small entree or multiple, how much packaging, and other factors. You aren't supposed to put food directly into the removable basin.
I suppose you could use something like a crock pot liner if you wanted to warm up stew or something like that, or seal it in a ziplock.
You're going to get moisture into the food area from heat/steam coming up around the outside edge of the basin. Some of that will condense and come down into the basin, so having unsealed food will get watery.

I'll agree with RWH about there being better options for tea. I would treat this more like a crock pot than anything else, as it's designed to get to around 185 degrees and sit there.
Works well if you plan ahead for everything, but not so much if you decide short notice that a cup of tea sounds good.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. I bought the units for $30 apiece so for that price I’m cool. Later I can buy something better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks