• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Log of my M1165. Project Joshua.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric Hummer H1 and I got a lot done today! Fun times!!

Rear brake line, replaced. Front brake line that was unscrewed was rescrewed.

Brakes bled. (Yes, DOT-5).

Transmission fluid refilled. Dextrin III

Xfer case refilled. Dextran III

Power steering topped up. Dextran III

Missing directional signal stalk plugged in. It works but I need the four screws to attach it to the column (I don’t know the screw sizes and no idea how to scroll through TMs on my iPhone. )

She drives forward and back at low speed. Brakes work well. Tomorrow jacking her up to 15 degrees to bleed steering.

She now moves and stops. I will go over the hubs and diffs tomorrow. I have NOT taken her past reverse and first gear yet.

After that, stack comes out. Custom oil and tranny and steering cooler going in. Modular to enhance future repairs.

Radiator will be recored 4 core dimpled.

Next trip… B-pillars get reinstalled and doors go on. Turret hole becomes moonroof. Dashboard gets customized. New shoes go on with 24 bolt and Runflats and MTR’s from Feltz.

Then work on the A/C units and heating.

Pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, a day of frustration but progress just the same.

Working with Eric is always great

It’s cold. Engine won’t start,,, so I tested the glow plugs. Only a few are good. Can’t find my glow plug tool or working glow plugs so I get to purchase AGAIN.

Pumpkins were dry, refilled.

Killed the batteries and the battery charger… deal with new charger tomorrow

Oil cooler bypassed. Eric’s idea is brilliant. Bypass the leak while we sort out the truck. Saves having to pull the stack for a while. Eric has run hundreds of thousands of miles without the cooler and his engine runs just fine. A few days won’t hurt my engine.

I purchased jackstands. Eric works without them. As a trauma Orthopaedic I’ve seen some stuff. For $40 I’m a hero.

Tomorrow we will use Eric’s 400 Amp ECV to start my rig. Using 2 gauge jumper wires. Then pulling the wheels and checking the hubs. Tonight I’ll order glow plugs and another extraction tool. Feltz tires is getting my rigs new shoes ready

Maybe I’ll remember to snap a few pics.

Vehicle names are important. A large branch from a Joshua tree fell into my rig last year. Perfect! Rig’s name will be “Joshua”. Great name from the greatest of all scrolls/books. A leader who bravely brought the nation to the Promised Land. May this rig bravely serve me.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joshua is alive!

Hubs are tight. All were drained of fluid by Uncle Sam’s mentally challenged red headed stepchild. Refilling sucks. One had a missing drain plug. Eric had spares! Tire had to come off as that plug is at an angle.

Power steering needed much more fluid. Bled system with Eric by lifting from to at least 15 degrees and going back and forth lock to lock 20 times. Pump was noisy BUT i knew better. I let it sit for a couple of hours and now steering and brakes are smooth and quiet. Took tons of fluid to sort out.

Tranny still taking fluid. No leaks. Just needs topping off. Those things take TONNES of fluid

Brakes are brand new. Drove and the small amount of rust cleaned right off. Literally stops straight and on a dime.

Eric’s idea of an oils cooler bypass is terrific (attn SteelSoldiers owner of this site). Not one drop oil leaking. Later I will hook the new oil cooler module up and place it on top of the stack temporarily in order to shake out the truck.

I will post videos later.

IMG_1635.jpeg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmission light comes on, and I can shift into reverse, 1, 2. Then nada.

I see my future… RTFM

Still, awesomely successful trip to visit Eric and work on my ECV. This is just a minor setback.

Heat works and puts out tons of hot air. Fan is whisper quiet. A/C will need a charge and eval.

Brakes are literally brand new and pretty much unused. Hubs are tight on the drivers’ side. Will check passengers’ side next time around.

Joshua is destined to be an amazing rig.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dashboard mods are now in motion.

I hate the current gauge placement so I purchased a template from an old International. I like the form. Now I need to tweak the fit. I will use this pattern but square it off. I plan to reposition gauges in front of the steering wheel. I anticipate the speedo cable will be short and I will need to find a suitable replacement. Then custom switches. IMG_1950.png

Soon the interior will be getting major changes. Comfortable breathable seats and sound deadening and heat insulation.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, now that I know I have heat I need the directional vents to work. I need a source. 2007 M1165 ECV. I searched Kascar and EBay, no joy.

Intact (green circle) and broken vents (red circle) on my rig are circled.
EDIT- thanks HoveringHMMWV, units purchased. IMG_1949.jpeg

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In have some but I am hanging on to them until I find a good cross over vent and see how many from my "stash" I need.
Can you take a closeup of the far left side where the vent is evidently bolted to the windshield frame?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mog,

Best I can do is focus in with software. I hope that is good enough.
IMG_1951.pngI left Cali. Vehicle is in Cali. If it’s an emergency I can ask Eric to shoot a few pics. I’m 3200 miles away.

That area broke away. Bolt holds broken piece of plastic. I will customize to resecure. L-shaped bracket and a few screws and she should be good.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, waiting to get back to Cali at the end of January to do the traditional transmission checks.

I will also BYPASS the computer to see if the manual controller works in all gears. Essentially turns the tranny into a manual shift. That will allow me to see if all gears and OD all work.

Not affiliated with tranny device product or seller.

Attachments

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purchased a dashboard. I’m going to make a negative mold from which I can make a better dashboard in an improved shape that I want.

After that I will have a reinforced fiberglass dashboard with custom cutout for gauges and another cutout for switches and hidden relays.

I’m looking to mount the above International 1700 gauge cluster in post #47, (or a squared off home made version), to a home made dash.

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Received and measured a takeout HMMWV dashboard. Dashboard base unit is a simple rectangular footprint with one angled edge, and passenger and driver side tabs held in place with rivets. The angled and shaped bits interfere with gauge placement. Rather than use body filler and such to fill it in to make a template, this weekend I will make a form out of thin 3mm sheet plywood. I will then paint and gelcoat it (or just cover with tin foil/wax paper), and make a dash base unit out of a fleece piece of cloth and fiberglass hardener. Light switch and starter switch holes and such will be decided upon when I place the International 1700 gauge cluster. I will decide where to place the International 1700 Gauge cluster on my trip to California later this month.

I will post initial results and pics hopefully this weekend.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks