• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Log of my M1165. Project Joshua.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the support!

No leaks on the air intake. I’ve replaced or refurbished all the air hose clamps. Just found another silly oil leak around the transmission cooler, but, I’m changing that entire assembly tomorrow hopefully. The 200 amp is definitely better than the 400 amp because it just doesn’t get in the way as much however, I prefer Hummer H1 idea of swapping over to GM amps. I see no reason to run a large amp that cost $1600. I am already planning on using a rebuildable amp. That will be in the future.
I don’t know how to do anything like that but I’m not opposed to it in anyway. I cleaned my resonator out when I did my injection pump. Maybe H1 could post a step by step conversion for dummies? Can you still run our tach’s with the swap?

HUMMER H1

It has deep fording exhaust, I wonder if someone threw something inside?
It won’t be hard to open and look,

also that black smoke it’s unburned fuel, could it be that turbo is not working?

it has almost no power to go up hill very gentle grade, seems like something is restricting either the exhaust or the intake.
Truck was smoking awfully hard going up and no power at all.

Last edited:

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the elbow off of the intake, look at the filter. My elbow was torn in half. 4 or 5 bolts gets the stack off of the exhaust. Turbo has to be working unless you are hearing noises from it. I don’t think elbow is the problem but you need to what you got. Check the cap on the intake, maybe it’s smashed against the intake tube and restricting the air flow. Take it off and see if you have better results.. that’s all I got

HUMMER H1

Take the elbow off of the intake, look at the filter. My elbow was torn in half. 4 or 5 bolts gets the stack off of the exhaust. Turbo has to be working unless you are hearing noises from it. I don’t think elbow is the problem but you need to what you got. Check the cap on the intake, maybe it’s smashed against the intake tube and restricting the air flow. Take it off and see if you have better results.. that’s all I got
ahh great idea to check the air cap,
tomorrow we will check the exhaust pipe as well,

thank you

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ahh great idea to check the air cap,
tomorrow we will check the exhaust pipe as well,

thank you
I don’t think you are very far away and maybe at some point you could show me the work of Gypsies with this alternator swap.. lol reference to ant-man and nothing else

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, seems like there may be a happy ending…

Brought fluid down to appropriate. Shifts downhill but not uphill. Black smoke uphill. Downhill shifts all four gears. Uphill engine is gutless and exhaust turns black.

When I placed the new IP I am guessing the timing is not right. I will retime tomorrow.
many of these trucks have collapsed catalytic converters due to long idle times and JP fuel usage, drop the turbo down pipe and drive it…if not change your Turbo charger isn't working….

HUMMER H1

I don’t think you are very far away and maybe at some point you could show me the work of Gypsies with this alternator swap.. lol reference to ant-man and nothing else
No problem
whenever you want swing by to humvee heaven,
Between Charles and myself we have 14 humvees here and 3 H1s to play with 🤣
24v alternator swap is very easy,

Eric

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No power. Black smoke. Rechecked timing and TPS and all correct.

Spoke to Steve and worked with Hummer H1.

Eric and I had disconnected the exhaust early on for other reasons. Yesterday I reconnected. Suddenly no power. Timing and throttle sensor were checked. Still issues. Texted with Steve and discussed with Eric. Then based on their advice I dropped at the turbo end and held open with a screwdriver. Power returned turbo spun up and whistled, and power came back. Blocked exhaust. Should be easy enough fix.

Thanks RWH and Mogman and everyone else. Thanks Eric for all your insight and help.

Tomorrow gonna remove entire exhaust system and fix.

Got a lot of other stuff done. Removed the damned oil cooler. Torch heat and still had to easy out one bolt. Stupid soft metal screws with shallow hex heads hold the thing in place. What a farking stupid design. Hammered star screwdrivers into another to remove. Eric machined some bolts into flathead screws for us to resecure the new unit. New unit screw points were a mm too narrow, making securing it another adventure. At least the stack was clean.
IMG_4475.jpegIMG_4474.jpegIMG_4478.jpegIMG_4481.jpegIMG_4485.jpeg

Last edited:

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only one place your exhaust can be blocked. Unless it’s sabotage! How long must you idle to make the resonator fail?

HUMMER H1

Only one place your exhaust can be blocked. Unless it’s sabotage! How long must you idle to make the resonator fail?
I really think someone threw something in there,
when I got my m1123 it had deep fording exhaust, there was bunch of junk inside the pipe, I found the horn button inside the exhaust pipe 😂😂

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really think someone threw something in there,
when I got my m1123 it had deep fording exhaust, there was bunch of junk inside the pipe, I found the horn button inside the exhaust pipe 😂😂
That was the first place that I looked for my horn button! Lol that’s really weird you found it there

No power. Black smoke. Rechecked timing and TPS and all correct.

Spoke to Steve and worked with Hummer H1.

Eric and I had disconnected the exhaust early on for other reasons. Yesterday I reconnected. Suddenly no power. Timing and throttle sensor were checked. Still issues. Texted with Steve and discussed with Eric. Then based on their advice I dropped at the turbo end and held open with a screwdriver. Power returned turbo spun up and whistled, and power came back. Blocked exhaust. Should be easy enough fix.

Thanks RWH and Mogman and everyone else. Thanks Eric for all your insight and help.

Tomorrow gonna remove entire exhaust system and fix.

Got a lot of other stuff done. Removed the damned oil cooler. Torch heat and still had to easy out one bolt. Stupid soft metal screws with shallow hex heads hold the thing in place. What a farking stupid design. Hammered star screwdrivers into another to remove. Eric machined some bolts into flathead screws for us to resecure the new unit. New unit screw points were a mm too narrow, making securing it another adventure. At least the stack was clean.
every diesel I have owned ends up being straight piped if I had a plugged exhaust like yours sounds like the perfect time to straight pipe it.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, pulled the exhaust system. Finally!

Unconventional removal. Finally forced the bolts in the cat converter out. Dropped the cat. Then cut the rubber support for the muffler so support bracket removal became a non-issue.

Horsepower has returned!!! Haven’t checked shifting.

Gonna do glow plugs tomorrow. Gonna go highway tomorrow.

Thanks Eric Hummer H1

IMG_4498.jpeg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Catalytic converter is legally required. Muffler is not.

Gonna use working catalytic converter. Gonna attach to custom stainless straight through pipe instead of muffler.

Rubber on support bracket is aligned perpendicular to muffler. I will use old tire to make new rubber loop at 90 degrees to current alignment. I can then string fuel cell strapping through it and wrap around muffler bypass pipe for exhaust support. That will make it robust while making installation and removal a snap. This will also make it robust as a support for the deep water fording exhaust pipe.

What a fight to get that poorly designed muffler out yesterday, but then got to watch the humming birds dance around Eric’s feeder afterwards. Beautiful acreage.

I rented a Jeep for the dirt roads by Eric’s acreage. Better than the Nissan economy car I rented in the past, but the HMMWV suspension is still vastly superior. Fun little 4WD though.

Attachments

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Horsepower and turbo whine are back. Attached the down pipe to turbo. Nothing else behind. Wired in place temporarily as support. Sound was not too loud. Turbo to down pipe still leaks exhaust a bit so it will need a gasket.

Went on my first real trail with Eric in the lead. Ate some of his dust, but it was great to be out and driving a trail with a friend!

Hit one road with 30% down grade. Not an issue.

Seats suck. Aftermarket will need to be to the rescue. Selling the factory seats. Not really trail friendly. I’m sure there’s blood in my urine. 😂

Handles well. Alignment is straight. Brakes are spot on. Went up to third gear on trails. No point in going faster, yet.

Pics to be posted later.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went for a short adventure with Eric/Hummer H1 and his amazing fiancé Aubrey.

Great power. Fun time. Ate some of Eric’s dust, but it’s all good. The 30% decline dirt road was fun.

Some more work like glow plugs and seats and doors and sound deadening BUT adventures can begin and that crap can be sandwiched in.

IMG_8698.jpegIMG_8704.jpegIMG_8700.jpegIMG_4511.jpeg

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To quote a great friend of mine as a message and sign off appreciation to all you good citizens, “thank you for paying your taxes on time, to allow people like us to buy amazing machines like these”.IMG_8698.jpeg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kascar just got me my glowplugs. And a nice new keyfob which I’ll use for my H1 keys.

Initially they were going to mail to the wrong address. I emailed them and they seamlessly redirected. Solid customer care. I sent them a E-mail thanking them.

Decided I’ll install another time. More wind outside in LittleRock than an F2 tornado. Man is it windy.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks