• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lolly-Pop lights

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M818 has "lolly-pop" lights and added side clearance markers.

Does anyone have the installation instructions for the lolly-pop lights?

Mine have a single element bulb and are wired to come on with the turn signal.

My additional side clearance lights are wired to come on in both park and service drive positions.

I don't understand why they wanted to add a second forward facing signal light directly above the original signal light.

I am considering rewiring them to stay on with the side clearance lights, so I have a front "park" light on for better front visibility.

On other trucks I have , I have run a wire up to the front to illuminate the front parking lamps, when the headlights are on(service drive position).

What's the proper way to have these things wired?

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are installed wrong. They should face to the rear so a car beside you can see that you are moving over.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my old gasser m52 had markers and lights like that, thay were double faced

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are installed wrong. They should face to the rear so a car beside you can see that you are moving over.
:ditto:

The lollipops came about because they were required in Europe to face backwards for other drivers to see the turn indication. I'm sure that some CONUS units installed them as well, because it does help if you do a lot of driving. Try moving over when someone is pacing you...

Not to hijack, but does anyone have or know where to get the little plates that bolt to the side of the front light bracket for the side marker light to mount on?

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the lolly-pops forward facing only? If they have a rear lens, I would leave them as signal only.

My lolly-pops have an amber front lens and a red rear lens(double faced). I have some concern that the red is to far forward to be legal(I may change them to amber also).

So, the consensus is, they are supposed to be signal lights? That's what I have, and they are correct then?

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine are amber only on one side. The rear (facing fwd) is solid plastic. I did just see that Saturn has the whole assembly for 12.50 each. I think they also sell just the bulb assembly for about half that. I don't think i'd want red up front either.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd install these: lollipop 6$ ea.

The description for those lights at Saturn Surplus, seems to be wrong(if they are supposed to be rear facing lights)

Brand New!! Military Part Number 11663048. It measures 4" in diameter with a stud mount on the bottom to create the ground. The back of the light is solid OD plastic so not to shine into the drivers eyes.

Does anyone have the installation instructions for the lolly-pop lights? Maybe that would answer if they should be one sided or two sided, also amber only or as mine are.

I may just replace the rearward facing red lens with an amber lens, then rewire the front park lights to be on with the headlights (and when in park)

It seems like if rearward and side visibility of the turn signal indication was the priority, Double side mounted clearance lights would have been a sufficient modification(like Bjorn has done).

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got mine 4-5 years ago new in the box. I used to have the directions but they are long since gone. They definately said rear facing, and are one sided with one side amber the other OD plastic. I am guessing whoever wrote the ad for Saturn either didn't know or just goofed it up.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to reconnect the parking lights to the clearance light wires(so my front parking lights are on in park and service drive).

The lolly-pops are connected to the signal lights(as they were).

And I am going to replace the rearward facing red lens, with an amber lens.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Last edited:

jkelly66

I had lolipop lights on a Freightliner Cabover I drove for North American Van Lines many years ago DH and the rear facing lenses was always red. I traversed upstate NY many times in it and never had any issues with law enforcement.
If only I had taken pictures when I was young and dumber.

mikeroot2

Eric,
The 818 I got from the same auction is set up exactly like yours. Lollipops over the front blinkers with red facing rearward and amber to the front. I have seen a couple 816's set up the same. I have also seen commercial trucks this way. My freightliner is amber/amber.

Attachments

M813A1

Yes you can run a jumper opn the back of thew 3 lever switch and have parking lights on in ( Park and Service ) !! The loli-pop lights can be amber on either side or amber and red without any problems !! But that is subjected to each state laws !! I would like to find that setup tp put on my M813A1 , I have already added the side clearence lights !!

Last edited:

emr

I have a one side amber and love em, took em off to paint a few years ago, I want to put em on sooo bad...one day they will be on, glad to see this thread... :)

todds112

Perfectly legal because the red light shows toward the rear. No different than the red LED arrows on some newer vehicle's outside mirrors.

Disclaimer: I only have direct knowledge from 2 states (WY and OH), but state laws (especially equipment) are based on the NHTSA standards and are very similar state to state.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks