• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lookin for upgrades for my 6.2 "84" 1 ton cucv

jesseoutlawjames

I just bought a 1984 1 1/4 ton cucv with only 60,000 miles on it. It has the 6.2 diesel and runs awsome until i try and tow something up a slight grade then it slows down to turtel speed.is there anything i can do besides a expensive sidewinder upgrade.like nslaaling new injectors our something else.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can drill holes in the air clearer can. It's starving for air. It will make a noticable difference. But not much. It also makes that engine roar much louder. You can also install a 2 1/2 inch dual exaust. That made another noticable difference on my 1028. And last but not least you can turn up the fuel rate about 1/8 turn that will wake it up eve nmore. But don't go much more than that with out a turbo.

m35tech

ok , not to be funny but , your talking about a 6.2 non turbo, there are not too many upgrades to this engine, this is why the mil went with the 6.5 diesel engine.... you may want to check out one of the diesel forums....

jesseoutlawjames

the truck has a k-n filter that is in the air filter housing and also has a 2 and half inch dual exhaust already.I am not sure if I should mess with the fuel ratio. the banks kit so far what I have seen costs way more than I could afford.I am installing some 255-85-r16 bfg mud terrains with the 456 gear ratio those should help would new injectors make a difference?
The truck got 10 mpg the last two tank fulls I was hopin for better not sure if something is wrong

motormayhem

My m1009 gets about 18 but it has 308's in the rear and 35's. But I thought the m1008 got better than 10, but I could be wrong. Maybe your fuel filter needs changing?

m4A1

My 1028 used to get about 14 and that is mostly in town. Never took it for a long highway drive to know what it would get on the highway.

Westech

CPL
you can get new High performance injectors (the internal parts, springs, spray head ect.. ) for around 80 bucks for the set. All you have to do is take the injector apart and slap the new guts in. Its really ez!

allrevup

The teerain and your driving style can affect your mileage. I live in the flat Mid- Atlantic region With the original LT235/85/R 16 at 65psi, I average 15-17 MPG convined city/hwy. On a trip to N.Y. and back 300+ miles at 50-55 mph, I average 19 MPG. With the 36/12.50/16.5 Humvee tires wheels and 2" spacer I am lucky to average 11-13 MPG, Off-Road Mileage is all over the place with diflated 36" tires with 7-8 MPG as an average. Speed and distances are GPS comfirm and adjusted for the taller 36" tires I regularly used the Power_____? additive from Wally-World , Lucas or cheap 2 stroke oil. Other then a turbo instalation (to me, not cost effective) good engine maintenace, addresing the air intake, exhaust and FI adjustment is all you can do.

tsmall07

the truck has a k-n filter that is in the air filter housing and also has a 2 and half inch dual exhaust already.I am not sure if I should mess with the fuel ratio. the banks kit so far what I have seen costs way more than I could afford.I am installing some 255-85-r16 bfg mud terrains with the 456 gear ratio those should help would new injectors make a difference?
The truck got 10 mpg the last two tank fulls I was hopin for better not sure if something is wrong

Sounds like you're pretty set on new injectors and you don't want to listen to other suggestions. You should get the new injectors and report back on how it works.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also consider that the 255 tire will decrease your RPM for a certain speed, it will also rob you of a fraction of pulling power, your chief complaint. About the best you can do without a turbo is what the folks already said, open up the air cleaner, free flow exhaust and bump up the fuel rate. FWIW adding a second snorkel to the air cleaner helps and looks almost stock. A balance tube between the duals will help as well.

RockyM1028

You can drill holes in the air clearer can. It's starving for air. It will make a noticable difference. But not much. It also makes that engine roar much louder. You can also install a 2 1/2 inch dual exaust. That made another noticable difference on my 1028. And last but not least you can turn up the fuel rate about 1/8 turn that will wake it up eve nmore. But don't go much more than that with out a turbo.
How and were can I turn up the fuel ratio? 1/8 turn clockwise????

kennyw

How and were can I turn up the fuel ratio? 1/8 turn clockwise????
Turning up the fuel can be risky if you don't monitor the temps as you can melt down your pistons. Make sure you understand the risks and how to minimize problems before making that kind of mod. A pyro meter is good for watching exhaust temps if you start turning up the fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks