• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a 2200 mile recovery ! What would you take ?

1951M1078

It went to Utah. I did not have the ok in time.

Think I will keep working on shipping and working on the Wife on a road trip.

Last edited:

1951M1078

M-1078

Cab List.
Dash GPS
Charging Station ( USB,12V)
CB Radio
Invert-er 12V to 120V (wired to cab)
PC Station
Road Flairs (10)
Safety Triangles (2 set's)
Cooler ( water and others)
First Aid Kit (large)
Fire Extinguisher (2 large)
Tie Down Straps (large and small)

Storage Box.

General Tool Box
Spare Tire stud tool (installing )
20 ton Jack Tow strap
OTC U joint Tool Chain
Spare Relays and Fuses
Nuts and Bolts Kit (sae and meter)
Lug Tool and sockets
Blast-it (rust eater)
Wood blocks 4x4 and 8x8's
Tape (duck,electrical,green)
Glad-hand air line Water ( 15 gal )
Jumper Cables (Mil and general)
Hand Cleaner
Battery Charger
Paper Towel and TP
Gen-set ( Honda 120V and 12V )
Tarp
120V power cord (100')
Ground Pad
Wire kit (10 ga,to 18ga )
Rain Gear and boots
Wire end kit Tow Bar
Hose and clamp Kit.
Pinata Hook for 2" x 2"
Motor Oil,Trans Oil,WD40, other lub's
Tow Light Kit
Grease Gun and Grease (spare zerts)
Tire Patch Kit
Gas for Gen-set ( 5 gal)
Flash Lights ( small to large and battery's )
Spare Diesel ( 5 gal)
Light Head Set
Coolant ( 10 gal)

Anything missing ?

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perfect plan!!! If the sellers honest and has went over the truck and put some miles on it to shake it down, jump on a plane and go get it. Take your time and have fun...

M925A2 with dump hoist

coachgeo

Also think I'm just going to pay for the LMTV and then figure how to get it home. This is just making me nuts.
smart move.

For your piece of mind.. and for others whom may need one hauled. Here is a couple of haulers who have served the Unimog community well; so been told, but have not used myself.

ken_klog(AT)yahoo(DOT)com has hauled a few Mogs for folk. Also, Roxy Tussey comes recommended as well. Try doriteenterprises(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Going too make a call to a friend (user here but not active in long time) who use to do hauling too. He may have some suggestions as well. Will follow up. Oh and with user here in mind... 98G would be a good candidate as hauler and or as a co-driver in a recovery. He is in AZ too. Appears he has lot of experience and is a helpful fellow.

Last edited:

Overdrive

I had all the same thoughts and feelings about recovering my truck from Ft. Carson to St. Louis... Spent over $700 in tools and gear to recover 800 miles but in the end I opted for transport. So glad I did and didn't have to worry about breakdowns. At 6+ dollars per mile for heavy truck towing the numbers were piling up.

Paid to ship and sat back while she was shipped and delivered to my doorstep.

See my recovery thread on the excitement trying to get her off the semi with dead batteries. Which is how I figured out you can jump start an LMTV with a 12V source :). Multi-meter is your best friend and what I call the Jedi tool for an LMTV.

After going over my truck once it was home the amount of time it took me to lube and check/service it would have taken me a couple of days in Colorado before I could drive it home... Two big issues I had were two batteries with zero water and a driver's front hub with oil that was almost tar. Not counting the shattered driver's window not reported on GP (but not a show stopper on drivability).

FYI, I used Rounders Logistics a vendor on this forum and their prices smoked anyone else for my recovery.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

OD

Last edited:

1951M1078

The end of the story .

Just got my ass kicked. Now the wife said "NO". I give up. I even found shipping.

Thanks for all the input.

Randy

coachgeo

sounds like time to regroup and consider taking on a smaller mountain. Seems there is a few rigs in AZ. Consider looking into arranging with some of them as a co-driver or Tag-Along to events there going too. Heck maybe even after getting to know one another and their rig well; you might can rent it for a weekend few times a year.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The end of the story .

Just got my ass kicked. Now the wife said "NO". I give up. I even found shipping.

Thanks for all the input.

Randy
You are still getting the truck, right? I understood you message to say the recovery was off due to wife's answer and you found shipping for it anyway.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are still getting the truck, right? I understood you message to say the recovery was off due to wife's answer and you found shipping for it anyway.
It appears the op's wife put the total cabosh on a truck even one locally. It really has to be a joint agreement to keep a happy household. Luckily mine "forced" me to get the truck even after I had decided to use the money for medical bills. Guess I made the right choice when I decided she was a keeper 24 years ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks