• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at buying my first deuce is this a good deal?

jbailly

Looking at buying my first deuce. It is a multifuel standard with winch with Michelin XML 395 18-20 singles and air assist steering. For $7,500. Is that a deal? I have no idea if that is high low or average.
Help please.
Thanks,
Jon

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without pictures it is hard to tell but probably on the high end of the scale.
Edit ; Does it have a clear title ?

Last edited:

Cruceno

395's and air assist steering are nice perks, but condition is a big part of it too. How are the systems? What type of fuel has he been running (diesel? or oil/hydraulic fluid/other)? How does it shift?

Post some pictures and that should give us a better idea. On the surface though, that price definitely sounds high. Even with those upgrades, I'd only pay that for a pristine truck.

Sephirothq

What wheels are the tires mounted on? How are the tires? are cracks or dry rot? Are they the stock wheels where the tires are ballooned outward or custom wheels that are the propper width for the tires? air assist is nice. and a winch is nice. Does it have a clean title? what shape is the body in? turbo or not air shift transfer case or not what bed is on it? hard or soft top does it have a heater, etc. So without this type info we can't tell you.

skinnyR1

Is this the truck that has the paint stripped off the bed, and he hasn't done the cab yet? It has to be the same truck in PA.

That guy dodged me for weeks at the end of last year, even after talking to him a couple of times. I eventually gave up, even though it was posted again on CL.

Something was fishy there.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever truck you end up buying, make sure the serial number (VIN) on the title matches the S/N on the data plate and most importantly matches the S/N on the frame. That price sounds high to me.

Bill W

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Looking at buying my first deuce. It is a multifuel standard with winch with Michelin XML 395 18-20 singles and air assist steering. For $7,500. Is that a deal? I have no idea if that is high low or average.
Help please.
Thanks,
Jon
With all the buddies on this site (and in your area?) It would be (very) wise to perhaps have someone "in the know" accompany you to view / drive / purchase. (especially after comments bordering on warnings (Caveat emptor))Etc. Etc.

FloridaAKM

With all the experianced help here, from guys in the know, I am following their advise as to a first buy. By not listening, you may be less than happy with your purchase. I admit, that I really have only a clue as to what is going on in sales, not the big picture.

ATPTac

Not to :deadhorse:but I'm going to have to agree with everyone else. If the tires are newish, mounted on non stock rims (MRAP's, combat rims, A3 rims, etc...), has a hard top, heater, winch is in good working order, and the rest of the truck is in very good shape then I would say that would be a little on the high side, but not unreasonable. But if the truck isn't in very good condition that's too high in my opinion.

jbailly

1970 model. It has a soft top with heat. Troop seats, but no bows or cover for the bed. I'm not sure what rims they are, but I know they are some what like a bead lock. He said you can remove the bead and remove the tire without taking the rim off the truck. Tires a fairly new. Truck is desert camo was last in service late '90's early 2000's. This is not in PA it is in Ohio in fact the owner may be a member here. He has like 10 different military vehicles.

bonedoc

I agree with everyone else here....and I'm looking for my first deuce as well. If you want an honest opinion from anyone here you need to match things up. The picture you sent is NOT representative of the vehicle you are talking about. So which is it? I understand they all have different options but if I'm possibly spending 7500 on a truck you better believe I'm going to know what it has, what it doesn't and have pictures as well. No one can give you an honest opinion based on a vehicle that changes post to post. Get everyone some pictures that represent the vehicle and accurate description and you will have more answers than you'll know what to do with.

jbailly

I guess maybe I screwed my description up. I see bows and a hard top as well and don't see a winch. How much does that change the price? I would rather have a winch than the top and bows. I don't know I wasn't looking at this truck when I went to his house so I didn't study it. I was interested in the CUCV he has, but decided to pass on it. This guy has a bobbed deuce on 54" Goodyears, a bobbed whistler deuce on stock tires, a deuce dump, a 5 ton tractor, a 5 ton gasser, a CUCV pickup and a CUCV blazer. And I think I missed one. So it is EXTREMELY possible I screwed my description up. I'll email him and find out exactly what this truck does and does not come with.

Last edited:

Sephirothq

Those wheels are A3 wheels also which are designed for an MPT tire. Not going into detail here but a different bead then the tire. Like a 16 and a 16.5 tire.