• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a deuce tractor

ida34

Print out the code and plead your case to the officer. If he goes ahead and issues a citation go to court and cite 42-2-402 to the judge or magistrate. He or she will most likely look it up in their own book then dismiss the case or find you not guilty or responsible. I would think that showing him the code would take care of it. Also print out 42-1-102 to show the definition of Recreational vehicle. The whole purpose of the exemption is to exclude personal use vehicles from the Commercial vehicle requirements. Take not that the Colorado code is very similar to the code I posted for Michigan. That is because it is the norm except for a few states such as California. They require a non-commercial class of license to drive big personal use trucks.

The best thing you can do to help prevent a wrongful ticket is carry the law with you to show the officer. Also ask him to call a commercial enforcement officer to ask about it. I caution you that if you are taking 20.000 lbs of scrap metal to the re cycler and you claimed it was personal use I would not believe you and would issue a ticket as most people do not collect 20,000 lbs of metal for personal use. They do it to make money and this would make put you in violation by not having a CDL.

ida34

I have not researched weigh stations but I would think you are also exempt. Think of a Uhaul truck. Do you think you would have to stop with a uhaul?

nattieleather

Unless you paint the truck candy apple red and put chrome rims on it and a chrome bumper (in other words leave it a stock MV) you probably will never even get stopped. Here is why I say that. Cop sitting at the side of the road watching traffic sees a MV pulling a trailer with (I am assuming) other MVs on it.... He's thought process will be huh there goes the guard, the army the marines, etc and that will be that. Now if you do as I stated in the begining above then your just asking to get pulled over... :)

Crash_AF

Well, that's all fine and good for a MV tractor, but let's say I bought a small commercial tractor for those longer trips to pick up GL wins (because 10 hours in an 818 isn't the most comfortable ride... LOL) Now I'm not 'stealth' and look like any other commercial truck on the road.

Would 'Not For Hire' painted in 3" letters on the doors be enough to avoid unnecessary traffic stops?

Crash_AF

ida34 said:
I have not researched weigh stations but I would think you are also exempt. Think of a Uhaul truck. Do you think you would have to stop with a uhaul?
UHauls are under CDL requirements for weight and simply by their distinctive markings would be ignored by DOT cops so I'm not sure if that's really a fair comparison.

Here's a hypothetical... you have two 26' straight trucks driving down the same highway with the same load, one is in UHaul livery and the other is plain white. Do you think the white truck is going to be able to sail by the scales unnoticed?

In reading the statutes, it appears that commercial status has nothing to do with the scales, only exceeding the 26k GVWR or GCWR limit.

ida34

It would help but if you have the load safely secured and are not violating the law then you are no more likely to get stopped than anyone else. I would put not for hire as the one thing that might get you pulled over is the absence of a company name and location. This is required for commercial trucks over 13,000 lbs gross combination truck and trailer. I might be off on the weight but it should be really close. You would also not have the DOT numbers and this might get you stopped so I would put not for hire on it. Not for hire really does not mean not commercial so I might put something like Personal Vehicle on it. If you did not want to paint it you could get magnetic signs made up.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still subscribe to the, "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it," philosophy. Hence, if I'm going to pull something, I want the truck that will as opposed to the truck that might.

I'd look at things like the deuce tractor probably will not have power steering, (I'm not familiar, but I think this is the case), and the 5-ton tractor is just made for the job. The deuce is an awesome truck with lots 'o power in many cases, but it's just a BIG pick-up truck. Pull with the 5-ton. It's the tool for the job.

To me, it's like comparing a 3/8" drive wrench to a 1/2" drive wrench when you're trying to break a stubborn 9/16" bolt loose, and you have your entire tool set available. Use the 1/2."

Is the option of obtaining your CDL out of the question? The training is valuable, but I know it's not something that everyone wants or needs. Just a thought.

(Here's a happy 5-ton tractor owner!):

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....2&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Not trying to be pushy or nosey. I'd just like to see you go the 5-ton route for what you describe. I think it will work out better. Good luck and know that your fellow SS members will back you all the way with your choice.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In FL you will spend $$$$$ to get a CDL. If it were as simple as taking a test I'd have one but I'd have to lease, beg or borrow a tractor trailer to take the driving test. If I go to a testing agency authorized by the state, I have to cough up the cashola. That's the only problem I have with it. Oh, forgot the exam and medical card expense.

ida34

Ken

Look a little further down the page and you will see that personal recreational vehicles are exempt. Or you could just read my post directly from the same CDOT CDL manual a few posts up.

For those people not used to reading law. Most laws have the law then a laundry list of exceptions. Most CDL manuals say the same thing. A truck over 26,000 lbs requires a CDL but keep reading and you will find the personal vehicle exception.

Not trying to flame you Ken but I already posted the exact wording from the manual you posted the link for and on the very first page of the manual it does say what you said it does but toward the end of the 1st page it lists the exceptions which include recreational vehicles used for personal purposes.

A CDL is not needed for a personal vehicle over 26,000 GVWR in Colorado. Period.

Sorry but I get frustrated continually trying to correct the misinformation. aua

Crash_AF

oifvet said:
Is the option of obtaining your CDL out of the question? The training is valuable, but I know it's not something that everyone wants or needs. Just a thought.
No, a CDL isn't out of the question, but you have to carry a medical certificate to have one and it takes time, which is one thing I'm short on right now.

I'm looking at an 818 in the IA sale right now, but it's a 10 hour drive to bring it home if I were to win it. I also have my eye on an International 8100 in KS that would make a decent 'run to get it' rig with the right trailer.

You guys have me convinced that the 5T is the way to go if I can find one for the right price that's not too far away(too bad there aren't any at the Ft Carson sale).

I'm also pretty sure that weigh station stops are required regardless of commercial status, but I'm going to call CDOT tomorrow to find out for sure.

Later,
Joe

Capt.Marion

Hope you are able to get something you'll enjoy both driving and maintaining. It has been established that you don't need a CDL if you use it for "recreational" purposes, so depending on whoever's particular interpretation of "recreational", you shouldn't need a CDL.

ida34

I should just be quiet about the CDL thing so all you guys will stop bidding on the five tons. Then I can get one cheaper. :driver:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to KY the other day in a comercial vehicle. I noticed the TN scales say "all trucks must stop" but the KY scales say "all comercial vehicles must stop".
Kenny, I don't know about FL but in TN you could go take your class A CDL test in a 5-ton tractor with a trailer behind it ( if it was in good enough shape to pass inspection). You wouldn't need to "rent" a truck to take the test.

jasonjc

ida34 said:
I should just be quiet about the CDL thing so all you guys will stop bidding on the five tons. Then I can get one cheaper. :driver:

New fed law just pass anything with more than 4 wheel's needs a CDL.
So no more big army trucks :wink:

ida34

Why go through the trouble and expense when you don't need to? Some say it will help in case you get in an accident but I would say that you are actually in worse shape if you get in an accident and have a CDL. The attorney suing you then can clearly show that you had training and it makes it easier to prove you were negligent. Face it. Professional drivers are usually held to a higher standard. I would not get one unless I planned to haul commercially.

Getting a CDL when not required is like getting a teaching degree to be a Boy Scout merit badge instructor.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We could test in a 5 ton but it has to be DOT compliant. Adding lights and the such. I'm not worried about it anyway, sold the deuce tractor and the trailer will be gone soon. Since all I fool with is deuces, no worries anymore.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I went down to see miltrucks today for a deuce part, and fell in love with a 2 1/2 ton tractor he has.

He enlightened me on a few things, and convinced me that a 2 1/2 ton tractor will definitely, :grd:

It's probably still a good idea to try to get that towed vehicle in a piggy-back position. Less rolling resistance, (tires on the ground, wheels and axles turning). The 2 1/2 ton tractor might not like that kind of weight on its back. I don't know.

Right now I've got 2 1/2 ton tractor-on-the-brain, and can't think straight. :|

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
oifvet said:
The 2 1/2 ton tractor might not like that kind of weight on its back. I don't know.

Right now I've got 2 1/2 ton tractor-on-the-brain, and can't think straight. :|
Nonsense, it loves the weight in that superior location.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks