• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a deuce tractor

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a fine pic, Kenny! What kind of tires did you have on the tractor? Also, is that a canvas or vinyl cargo cover on the second truck? Looks good.

Miltucks has an interesting tractor. It was a long-wheelbase 2 1/2 ton cargo deuce, w/ bed removed and 5-ton fifth-wheel installed. The headache rack fit nicely and still left adequate room for trailer swing radius. I also learned that borrowing the over-load springs from a 2 1/2 ton box-van, you can have a nice load-bearing tractor.

I really like that truck of his.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tires were fairly worn 900 NDTs. The bed cover is vinyl and odd as it may seem, I just got that very cover back from the guy who replaced it. It will be going on the back of the dropside until I can get the special order one from GMA

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thing, Kenny. What step(s) did you take with the wheels/axle of the deuce being towed? Anything to make it free-wheel? Drop a shaft? Pull an axle and re-cap the hub?

Just curious. Not trying to track away from the topic.

Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny you ask! I planned on my trip to OH and was leaving Saturday night. Friday night I was headed to Ft Lauderdale with the cargo on a towbar behind the tractor to have the device all welded up. I get down to Matt's place and for the next 3 hours he welds his behind off. While the device is too hot to handle from welding, we use a forklift and lock it into the 5th wheel. Matt squares his Mack wrecker around and we hoisted the cargo up in the air. I back the tractor under it, he drops the cargo and we are done.By now it's late and I wanna get home to get ready. (Remember, both rear axles are still on the ground). I head up the interstate and within 3 miles the driveshaft between the bogies explodes. I guess too much articulation and bumps at highway speed and the shaft hit the trunion axle and broke it. I've got not a tool on me. Quick, call Matt! 5 minutes later he arrives with tools to remove the garbage and a replacement shaft. Load up and go home. Since the shaft is already out I just suspended the fore axle and went with it. On the way back I removed the axle shafts and covered up the holes. Whew. 2003 will go down in history for me as the most adventurous MV year.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What 2 1/2 ton truck does one start with to build a nice tractor? Which one has the long wheelbase so the 5-ton fifth wheel installs, and leaves you with room to put a nice headache rack from a pipeline truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks