• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for engine source

david1092

Does anyone know of a good source for 6.2 or 6.5 NA engines and a th400 transmission. I need to do a drive train replacement and have been looking at some of the hmmwv pull outs as an option on the engine.

Last edited:

oilcan

Uncle Sam has been releasing tons of the n/a 6.2's recently. You should be able to find one in a can at a reasonable price. I just stuck a canned 6.2 in my 715 not long ago. Runs just fine for a take-out.

I don't know if the TH 400 in a cucv is the same as a hmmwv unit or not, but I bet it wouldn't take much to swap 'em. Plenty of guys are cutting 1008's and 1028's for the axles.

david1092

I've seen a few guys selling the pull outs at pretty low prices. The problem is to find someone that will ship a known good engine as shipping costs almost as much as the engine.

On the transmission, I might opt for one that has been rebuilt for racing as they seem to use better parts and some come with a warranty. Price on these are around $1000 + shipping.

oilcan

Are you going to be racing? If not, you could end up with a tranny that's not at all set up for what you need. You'll hate your truck. your transmission guy, and yourself.

I know what you mean about shipping. Sometimes it takes some ingenuity to work things out. I got an M116 leap-frogged all the way from south Texas to ohio. It took a long time but I wasn't in a hurry, and the price was right!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the CUCV 400 is the same, except it has park .
Park parts is what alot of us are adding to these mid 80's humvee's trans
The shifter would need changing to a later shifter with park.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVFAN has a good, clean running take-out motor for sale. I believe he told me it had new injectors. PM him...

david1092

On tjhe avatar - Thats my british built fv-622. It is fully amphibious.

Good point on the racing setup for the transmission. AAfter talking with the suppier, they will supply both a diesel torque converter and valve setings for you applicaitons but you have to ask them to do so. Thanks for bringin g up that point. The only reason I was looking at the racing rebuilds is that they offered a 2 year warranty, whereas others the others did not.

I would prefer the park option. I'll take a look at the cucv transmission to see if it will work.

I'll also send a message to CUCVFAN to ge teh details on his engine.

Thanks for the replies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks