• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for engine source

david1092

Does anyone know of a good source for 6.2 or 6.5 NA engines and a th400 transmission. I need to do a drive train replacement and have been looking at some of the hmmwv pull outs as an option on the engine.

Last edited:

oilcan

Uncle Sam has been releasing tons of the n/a 6.2's recently. You should be able to find one in a can at a reasonable price. I just stuck a canned 6.2 in my 715 not long ago. Runs just fine for a take-out.

I don't know if the TH 400 in a cucv is the same as a hmmwv unit or not, but I bet it wouldn't take much to swap 'em. Plenty of guys are cutting 1008's and 1028's for the axles.

david1092

I've seen a few guys selling the pull outs at pretty low prices. The problem is to find someone that will ship a known good engine as shipping costs almost as much as the engine.

On the transmission, I might opt for one that has been rebuilt for racing as they seem to use better parts and some come with a warranty. Price on these are around $1000 + shipping.

oilcan

Are you going to be racing? If not, you could end up with a tranny that's not at all set up for what you need. You'll hate your truck. your transmission guy, and yourself.

I know what you mean about shipping. Sometimes it takes some ingenuity to work things out. I got an M116 leap-frogged all the way from south Texas to ohio. It took a long time but I wasn't in a hurry, and the price was right!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the CUCV 400 is the same, except it has park .
Park parts is what alot of us are adding to these mid 80's humvee's trans
The shifter would need changing to a later shifter with park.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVFAN has a good, clean running take-out motor for sale. I believe he told me it had new injectors. PM him...

david1092

On tjhe avatar - Thats my british built fv-622. It is fully amphibious.

Good point on the racing setup for the transmission. AAfter talking with the suppier, they will supply both a diesel torque converter and valve setings for you applicaitons but you have to ask them to do so. Thanks for bringin g up that point. The only reason I was looking at the racing rebuilds is that they offered a 2 year warranty, whereas others the others did not.

I would prefer the park option. I'll take a look at the cucv transmission to see if it will work.

I'll also send a message to CUCVFAN to ge teh details on his engine.

Thanks for the replies.