• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for list of recommended tools

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power bleeder is a must have in my book. A GMTK isn't always practical in size but has a nice well rounded set of hand tools. Extra lights including a quality headlight (head mounted light) and road flares or cones. A wheel bearing socket is an on board must have as well. I think a jump box power soirce is quite useful as well.

rustystud

10 ton bottle jack with dunnage should be adequate.
I prefer to use a 20 ton bottle jack now that I'm older. When your under the truck jacking on the frame you don't need as much leverage or muscle power to jack it up. I also have a "air over hydraulic" 20 ton jack that connects to the truck air supply.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am also looking for a jack what height of jack does one need to change the tires if they are flat?
I carry two Jacks and cribbing. One jack rarely has all the travel needed to go from as low as you'll need to start removing the flat one, to as high as you'll need to be to place the fully inflated tire.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add this, along with cribbing, I used to keep some 4x6 blocks in the truck as well. If you get a flat and you are able, drive the flat up on the 4x6. It will save cribbing time and efforts whilst changing the tire.

big block 88

Thats why 2 jacks may be needed. Jack up on frame till you can get under axle. Or drive the flat tire up on a 4x4 or 6x6. To raise the entire truck so the jack will fit.

I made mine out of 2x8 boards and stacked them in a pyramid formation. Works great.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You are going to find out real quick what you don't have for what it is you want to do.
The game is don't buy sets and sets of stuff that You will never use.
Get a really good pair of Klein diagonal cutters (dykes) and needle nose Vise-Grips.
Don't skimp get the real ones.
Look
First get the Truck Second, drive the truck. Third, fix the truck.
Decide to do one job. Get what is needed for that job. Don't just buy a lot of stuff for someday.
It takes a while to maintain a vehicle and to learn how to do that.
Ready, OK, Ready?
Pull all the wheels off put her on jackstands and inspect repair all the brakes. Let me know if you find soldier B.
Write back next month how you did.
There used to be a manned motor pool contingent that fixed a vehicle like yours, Now it is just you. And you are only thinkin of a flat tire.

Write, the people here have solved problems you don't even know you could have.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add this, along with cribbing, I used to keep some 4x6 blocks in the truck as well. If you get a flat and you are able, drive the flat up on the 4x6. It will save cribbing time and efforts whilst changing the tire.
And if it's a outside dual that's flat with the 4"x6" block to drive up on you don't need to bother with a jack.
Of course Murphy's Law usually kicks in and the flat is on the inside.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And if it's a outside dual that's flat with the 4"x6" block to drive up on you don't need to bother with a jack.
Of course Murphy's Law usually kicks in and the flat is on the inside.
Outside duals never go flat, and never blow. It's mandated that only the inner ones fail.

Edit - if one did fail, this is what it might look like :

20151007_180852.jpg

20150906_155750.jpg

Last edited:

winfred

perhaps you need to reevaluate what big is, eventually itll fall over then driveline cleaning and maintenance becomes a snap :gimp2:

you know i have tried this numerous times on my super single and i just cant get it to work... no matter
how big of a block i drive on the weight is still on that tire. I dont get it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
20v Dewalt XR impact, 4 - 4x4 blocks, 2 - 4x6 blocks and 2 - 6x6 blocks. Sometimes it can take a bit to get em off the ground. 20ton air/hydraulic jack, 1/2" air line at 30', Standard military lug wrench set is for my spare tire things.

I carry enough tools and sockets in 2 ammo cans to do every repair except heavy stuff on the road. You always need a chain fall in the truck as well. works great for lifting flats into the bed if needed or other crap or pulling your axle back into place after a torque rod insert pops off.

rustystud

I don't wonder where rustystud got that one from...............
I've said that for decades now. Might have started during my Marine years. About the comment of military personnel taking care of the deuce. When I was a Sargent in the motor pool we had about 40 guys in our platoon. So when a deuce came in it was swarmed and put to rights in about two days.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I will get scorned for this as lots of people don't like them but I don't travel without a hi lift jack. Not so much for jacking but winching and clamping. They are great for pressing dogbones back on the bushing.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks