• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for Whistler Turbo

sermis

I wanted one too until last weekend. Have you ever heard one in person? That thing is about annoying. At idle it whines and at RPM it really whines. You can here it a mile away coming.

bottleworks

Re: RE: looking for Whistler Turbo

sermis said:
That thing is about annoying. At idle it whines and at RPM it really whines. You can here it a mile away coming.
You consider that a bad thing? It makes the truck unique.

sermis

RE: Re: RE: looking for Whistler Turbo

Not a bad thing if you like the whine. I can’t call it a whistle, it’s a whine to me. I put a muffler on my truck. You can carry on a conversation in the cab now. On short runs to town you can get away with out hearing protection. I think with the C turbo you would need hearing protection even with the muffler. Even if it is at idle and you are working on the truck.
I have some hearing loss from being young and stupid so I now watch out what I am doing to keep it from getting worse.

bottleworks

Re: RE: Re: RE: looking for Whistler Turbo

The NAPA lowers the exhaust noise quite well even with the C turbo. I don't feel a need to wear hearing protection with that muffler.

sermis

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: looking for Whistler Turbo

I'm running the NAPA muffler but my turbo is a "D" I guess. In the truck I can hardley hear the turbo. Otheres around can here it spool up and down.

FreightTrain

Banned

hee hee hee,whos truck did you in?MyM35A2 or the Recovery's Deuce tractor?I think we are the only 2 at the rally crazy enough to have a C.With my soft top on(a newer style) it ain't that bad in the cab.I drove 200 miles each way with no hearing protection....but when I did the trail ride without the cab top I bummed a set from wreckerman.

sermis

I guess it was Recovery's Deuce tractor. I had to leave before you got there...........

aboonski

You can obtain a C turbo from a guy who lives in Live Oak Florida and sells parts for the M35 on Ebay under the name of Green Gem Army Surplus Depot. He has everything for a deuce up there and is a great guy to deal with too. His name is Matt and the phone number is 386 364-4669. I know he had a C turbo on Ebay recently and I don't believe it sold. Since you are in Georgia, you could drive over to get the part you need.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL, yeah, it was prolly my tractor you heard. I don't call it a whistler either, more like a screamer.

Blythewoodjoe

I have a spare "C" at the house. I had planned to install it on my truck but came to my senses before I had a chance. I don't mind the noise but my little girl and all her cousins like to ride in the truck so quiet is now "hip". In fact I installed one of those NAPA mufflers before I left for the rally this weekend. I guess it is quieter. It's still real loud at 60 MPH. I couldn't really hear my DVD player with the boom box for an amp.

So do you guys think the muffler makes a real difference. I did drive the last 3 hours with no hearing protection because the ear plugs where making my ears hurt. I did have a slight ringing when I got home. One of the three things I hate about a long trip: Imploding head around the ears, numb right foot and tingly fingers :lol:

Master Trapp
AKA That smar tass

sermis

Muffler makes a big difference but long trips need hearing protection. These trucks are real noisy. I was thinking about some sound proofing for the front of the cab, behind the seat, and in the doors. Don’t really want anything on the floor due to water and dirt.

Blythewoodjoe

I bet some sound absorbing material on the inside of the roof in my hard top would help a lot. I would also think under the hood, I mean the literal hood would help a lot too. I have found sound travels around steel real good. I found that out the hard way while working in an equipment room yelling at a co-working with my head at the end of a 6" steel line we where running. The other end was in the ceiling of the waiting room for the MRI area. It was 200 feet in the building and I could be head like I was standing there. It's good I don't cuss, but I am a little crude :oops:

joey

what nappa mufflers are you all using? I think I have the c turbo because I cant hear the engine or car horns honking at me. I like the sound but I also want my daughter to be able to ride with me so am thinking about trading eventually.

Blythewoodjoe

I don't have the number in front of me but I found it on the forum after searching for M35 mufflers. It's a strait through 3.5 inch unit that is about 3 feet long. I actually mounted mine in the riser above the fender. I figured it's my truck and if I wanted to cut it up that was my business. I have the number down stairs. If you want a D turbo it looks like there are lots of guys that would swap you.

Armada

[/quote]If you want a D turbo it looks like there are lots of guys that would swap you.
Code:
I have a D that I will swap for a C.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Freight Train,

Recovery's unit was the starting point but your's was the closer on the deal. :lol:

Everyone talks about the "muffler" add but mine has one since it's a non turbo and it's not any quieter than the straight exhaust on a turbo. In fact, because the pipe is smaller on mine it whistles anyway cause the engine is smothering. It'll probably breathe better with the larger pipe. It's a fine line in decibels from "wheezer" to "whistler."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks