• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LOOKING FOR WW II 2 1/2 Ton OWNERS!

Dr Deuce

I have a collection of 8 CCKWs one of them being a LeRoi Kompressor late war open cab with winch.

1943 CCKW cargo with M32 MG mount (my baby. I have driven this one over 50,000 miles since I bought it 25 years ago)

1945 CCKW-Schiled-Bantam Crane (ABM-51 prototype)

1944 CCKW LeRoi

1942 CCKW shopvan

1944 CCKW 750 gal aircraft refueling tanker

1945 CCKW cargo w/w with artic cab top

and 2 parts trucks

Then we have the Chevys:

1944 M6 Bomb Truck

1942 cargo

1942 (civy) dump plow truck with wing plow

1942 K51 radio panel truck (under restoration now)

1945 telephone auger truck

1 parts truck

You can view some of them at:

http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-859870.html

LeRoi Kompressor (only) and Bomb Truck on moving day:

http://www.cckw.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=264

Steve AKA Dr Deuce

Desert Rat

Dr. Deuce,
That represents quite a bit of hard work. You have my deepest respect for what it represents!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Steve, great to have you on the forum. I always enjoyed your emails on the MilVeh. You have a very impressive CCKW collection and other cool goodies too! I look forward to your input here at the SS Forum.

lacoda56

Steve,

Just wanted to add my welcome! I've talked to you before on the WWII Chevy and GMC forum. While most of the posts are about the M35, there's an unbelievable amount of information here. You'll find a lot of people here who actually use their trucks and maybe even modify them a little.

Dr Deuce

I am glad you all (no you-all) like them. They represent over 25 years of collecting and restoring, and restoring....

Most of mine have slightly newer engines that bolt right in. Some prople find that blastphamy, but I consider it wise. I drive my cargo CCKW 2-3000 miles a year. I want to get into it at any time and drive it with any trailer I have in a safe and reliable way. I want it to start, go and stop all the way to where I am going and back.

One thing I love about the WW2 HMVs is that you can go to a good autoparts store and buy parts. With the GM HMVs, they kept the same designs and compatibily for decades. Case in point: My 43 GMC cargo CCKW has a 1956 GMC 302 6 cyl engine in it (dropped right in) with a 1974 Corvette 11" clutch behind it! All parts bolted right in and work perfectly together!

Steve AKA DR Deuce

pix of 1944 Clark Air Airborne dozer

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, let me throw a ? at you. I've had a little thing for CCKW short WB closed cab for a while. I surely wouldn't to be shot but and I've not really thought this through but do you know of anybody that put diesel power in one and lived? I even like the idea of the 302. Which bring more money in regards to open/closed cab and long/short wheelbases? I've got a ton of projects going on now but that appeal of the closed cab never goes away.
Kenny

Dr Deuce

To me the most valuable cargo truck is as follows:

Short WB

Closed cab

All Steel cargo bed

Hole in roof and MG mount

Winch

Banjo (GM) axles

There is a guy in Vt who put a 3 or 4-53 detroit in a WW2 Chevy. It is pretty tight in there AND once you get away from the original bellhousing, you have to do something with the pedals. They mount to the stock bellhousing. That is why a 302 is a good upgrade. It bolts to the stock housing.

Steve AKA Dr Deuce

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah, the banjo axles! I prefer them also. I could get used to the 302 easily, it's a great engine. I think I'm going to keep my ear to the rails to see what pops up. What about the Chevrolets? Were all the Chevys closed cabs? A 1 1/2 ton closed cab Chevy with Banjo axles would be a cool truck also. Steve, are the chevys similar to the GMCs driveline wise?
Thanks,
Kenny

Dr Deuce

The Chevys are similiar but quite different in many ways.

Chevy engine is 1.5" shorter, mounted 2" lower has different tranny and xfer case axles with differences, smaller U-joints and shafts....

For a Chevy a later full pressure 235 6 cyl is a nice conversion. I have that in 2 right now. The difficult to find 261 is even better!

The only open cab Chevy is the M6 Bomb Truck. See pic below

Steve AKA Dr Deuce

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Steve. I've always wanted to ask the questions but didn't want to look too much like an idiot.
Kenny

Desert Rat

Kenny, :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I thought you never worried about that since you've included that in your avatar! :lol: :lol: :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: [^] [:)] [:)] [^] :yeah: :yeah:

Desert Rat

Kenny,
Just observing, not thought required this time! Check to see if yer biscuts are burnin'! (attach southern twang in last sentence)

lacoda56

Hey! If you two are gonna fight, you're gettin' grounded!

BTW Dr Deuce, what was te cubic inch of the stock chevy engines? The jimmie was 270 but I thought the chevy was 235.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry DR. When you said "I thought" I assumed you were thinking. My bad!!!!

We ain't a fightin' just pickin a bit!

ylecyote

I have a CCKW here in Western Iowa. Have a Feed Mixer mounted on it and its been feeding cattle on this farm for about 40 years. They are tough trucks. Im about to retire it as I have rebuilt the motor till there is nothing left to rebuild and it spun a bearing last fall and scarred the crank. still runs after polishing up the jounal and replacing the bearing but that was a bandaid. The rest of the truck seems sound but I dont know where I would find a GOOD 302. Ive heard that there is a small diesel perkins that will bolt righ up to the hogs head but have never been able to find anyone who knows what model that is. Guess it was in a few early Massey Combines. If anyone knows anything about this engine I would sure like to track one down. Or for that matter any repowering suggestions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks