• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LOOKING FOR WW II 2 1/2 Ton OWNERS!

grizzly127

GMC 2.5 Ton M135

Hey Guys,

I´m new here and just bought my first 2 and 1/2 ton truck. Is this what you are looking for? Mine is a 1952 so its a cerca WWII era vehicle.
Anyway, great to be on the forum and hopping to learn lots of stuff.

redchief

CCKW

I have a 1941 closed cab 352 tipper w/winch. It was always used as a tow and recovery vehicle and on the farm to haul gravel and do logging. I have had this truck about twenty years and it was used to tow a beaver tail trailer for our half track, M37 or Jeeps if we had to rescue one or just drag home something else that we couldn't resist. This truck is now going to get restored as it should have been years ago. This truck has the early dash, and the dump box is by Hercules I researche the serial numbers and it would appear that the box was changed...probably in the late 1940's..... this truck was used one year as a town snow plow..I could be wrong tho ! Would like to hear from other CCKW collectors.

lacoda56

Hey there grizzly, good to have you here. Sorry i didn't see your post sooner, but better late than never. Your truck is the M135/211 series of gmc trucks. Manufacture of the CCKW series was discontinued in '45 I believe. Your truck is a later series that was gmc's answer to the M35. It eventually lost out, but is still a popular and fun truck to own. Good luck with it and don't be a stranger.

courtney_martell

My brother has a 1956 2 1/2 ton 6x6 M-135 Canadian that was being used as a fire truck. He is looking for maintenance manuals for it now. Does anyone know where they could possibly be found?

M211GMC

hello all !
I have a 1945 CCKW 353 Cargo truck , its a blast to drive ! going to sell my M211 ( about 85% restored ) so I can restore the CCKW and do it right ! cant do both trucks at the same time .

Scrambler

We just bought one yesterday. It's in original condition, even first paint. Slightly rusted but no rustholes. Just a coat of paint will do. it's an early 1945 or late '44 (I think), open cab, with winch and a tipper. it has been parked since 1972 and has only 8000 miles done. Tomorrow I'll see if it will run. I towed it home with my M36A2

Attachments

Scrambler

Wow! The thuck has been sitting in a barn since 1975. I put a battery in it, replaced the missing distributorcap, pumped up some fuel (32 yrs old gas) and tried the starterbutton, see if it has some life in it. It fired right up! on the button, and it runs so smooth... unbelievable!
I traced down the hoodnumbers and they're the orignal! Truck has its first paint and original numbers... :D

lacoda56

Awesome find! That's what we all dream of, the old "truck, jeep, halftrack, whatever in a barn". Give the old girl a good home and don't be afraid to show her off once in a while. [thumbzup]

Scrambler

Nice looking truck, seems to be in Beltring.. been there, seen it... Your truck sure can be a 1944's but the Van body is not. they're Swiss built in the early '50s. Looks good tho..

willysmd

Correct on both accounts, it is 44 and swiss back I am trying to find info on the swiiss trucks anyone know of any good websites out there please.

paulfarber

Thats a nice 353. I like the look of the closed cabs... they have that passenger truck look to them.

A 43 would have a wooden cargo bed (wooden cargo beds were in production since 1 Sept 1942) and also a wooden steering wheel. But I agree both are hard to find in good condition.

I noticed the GMC logo... is that just bling or is does the truck supposed to have it?

Do you have any motor pics? Most of the interesting stuff is under the hood.

paulfarber

Pick up a copy of "GMC A UNIVERSAL TRUCK"

While lite on specifics, it has tons of post war pics (french, swiss, dutch, Israli) and the mods they did to them. The book is not really good for detailed info, and I don't recall any interior shots.. but a good reference as most, if not all the trucks are ID'd as to origin, modifications etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks