• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking To Buy MKT-85 Feild Kitchen

One of our favorite Auction sites has a bunch coming up;-). I'm thinking it might make a really nice Fathers day gift for my favorite Father in law. I'm looking for thoughts and advice on what makes one a good buy, such as, contents found in trailer. Do some come with better set ups than others, have you ever seen or bought one that had any bonus surprises? How do they pull? And whats a good price at auction, say if a guy found some at GL.? Thanks Mark

m109guy

We got a MKT-90 here. They are nice trailers, but it can be hit and miss what you get in them. Ours is 99.9% complete, and came with a ton of extra juice and water containers. But I have heard of some people getting them with a lot of parts missing. If possible, get a look inside before buying. Also get a hold of the manual so that you can come with a check list of equipment that should be inside.

The most expensive thing you could be missing would be the MBU's (Modern Burner Units). If you can, try to make sure they are all there (6 of them), as well as the wiring and converter box (120v AC to 24v DC). I have seen some of the MBU's going for as much as $250 each, and some people paying for them as they can be hard to find in good shape. Our MKT had all the MBU's in it and two of them were brand new (0 hours for use). I did have to get a hold of one of the wires for connect them all up together.

There are many other things which can be almost impossible to find, like the metal splash screen that goes around the griddle. Sadly if you don't have it in the MKT, there is a good chance you will never find one (or at least find one that someone is willing to sell). But that goes for pretty much anything surplused you might buy. Most times they are selling it because it is old and parts are hard to come by.

Another plus for ours was that it came with tons of untensils. 2-3 of everything, which was pretty nice.

Also make sure the tarps are there and not all ripped up. Though sadly many of them have rotten cavas roofs and sides. Not too fun when working in the rain.

Ours pulls really well behind a deuce. I would not recommend pulling one for very far without the air breaks. A fully loaded MKT weights a lot and will be hard to stop quickly without breaks.

Good luck on your buy. An MKT is a really cool addition to any fleet, and a blast to setup and use.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A virtually unused MKT-90 sold at Ft Sam a while back and unfortunately I only saw it after it sold. There were five or six at a site where I just picked up a M101 but the GL rep said they were basically stripped inside. Preview for these is a must and take pictures if you intend to buy so you have recourse with GL if stuff is missing at pickup.

Thanks for the preview advice! The local in S.CAL. has been a bit dicey in the past about looking at a cattle call of lots, they have preferred that previews be kept to a minimum prearranged number, " what do you think, this is Walmart" has been the comment of choice in the past. Seeing how theres 15 up for auction, I for one could not stand not looking at all:!:. I'm told theirs a new Sheriff running the show so maybe he would allow a more careful inspection. Now all I need is earthquake to cut the drive down 350 miles! Any body gettin to Barstow before Tuesday??

WildWolfman

stationed in so cal at this moment, is that the nearest GL lot near Edwards AFB?? if so, we should try to get a group together in the future?

maybe we can set up a convoy!

how well does the MKT fold up? is it all self contained?

sorry for all the questions, just new to the army side of things.

m109guy

stationed in so cal at this moment, is that the nearest GL lot near Edwards AFB?? if so, we should try to get a group together in the future?

maybe we can set up a convoy!

how well does the MKT fold up? is it all self contained?

sorry for all the questions, just new to the army side of things.
Folds up to the size of a standard deuce trailer. Yes it is all self contained except for the food.

Pictures of MKT's:

Folded up: MKT-85 Mobile Kitchen Trailer Walk Around

Opened (not properly setup, but you get the idea): MKT-85 Mobile Kitchen Trailer Photos

m109guy, Thats an exceptional camper you've done! Thanks for your valued info on the Mkts, the pictures are very helpful as well. Anyone willing to guess on sale price, or anyone willing to disclose what they got theres for:razz:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been watching for one since February and they seem to be going for around $1500 - some more and a few less but that's been the general ballpark.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We set up two at Ft. Jackson this weekend to feed the re-enactors. Some small pictures attached (3500X2700 down to 800x600).

Yoiu want the stoves (M-59 Field Range), the burner racks, a griddle, and all the small stuff. Some of the small stuff is unobtanium, especially in the quantities you might need. Other things are more in the realm of 'you gotta know somebody'.

Attachments

Crazyguypa

Looks good Mike. I plan on bringing mine down to Aberdeen next week and have it set up. Supposed to be mid 80's and sunny, so I'll be able to have some hot food and a little bit of shade.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Hey Mike.....will we see that setup at Clinto's rally this fall:?:

We could feed quite a crowd with that kitchen.:stir pot:
SOS.....Chili-mac.....mystery meat, all the Army chow hall favorites.:deadhorse:
Maybe someone has a Water Buffalo so we will have water for KP.:rolleyes:

I just bought some brand new immersion heaters so we can singe off eyebrows and arm hair.:shock:

Nothing like reliving the days of our misspent military youth.aua

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frank,
Cabell makes a good point - your MKT needs to be setup as an exhibit, not as competition to the food vendors (cooking your own food could be an exception, as you 'demonstrate' it).

Richard,
I plan on bringing it (mine anyway) to the Georgia Rally in October. But first I need to have an M-109 with brakes to act as the puller/pantry vehicle (hint, hint - did FT ever get over there to help you look at it).

For everybody,
I have found that the correct fuel, JP-8, is kerosene with three additives - a de-icer, a corrosion inhibiter, and an algecide (essentially), so for all except extremely cold weather, the regular kerosene available will work fine in the MBU's! We confirmed that this weekend on 12 MBU burners.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Mike,

Papa Bear is hauling FT's alleged wrecker up here next Sat. As punishment for adding another yard ornament to his collection I am press ganging him into helping me work on several trucks in the pasture (your 109 included).
She should be ready to rock and roll soon.

So how do the MKT-85 Differ from the MKT-90s, other than $15,000k compared to $28,000k according to GL aquired value. Looks like the Mkt-90 has a Helicopter lift feature:?: anything else?? Thanks Mark

KaiserM109

So how do the MKT-85 Differ from the MKT-90s, other than $15,000k compared to $28,000k according to GL aquired value. Looks like the Mkt-90 has a Helicopter lift feature anything else?? Thanks Mark
On this web site’s home page pull down the tab labeled “Resources” and select “Technical Manuals”. Go to about the 4th page and find TM 10-7360-206-13 and TM 10-7360-206-23P.

I have a 99.9% complete MKT-85. SCSG-G4 (Mike) can answer that better than I, but I believe the differences are:
1) 90 has modern burners that burn diesel instead of gas and more advanced controls
2) 90 has cold weather skirts that extend from the deck to the ground
3) 90 has a fan to move hot air from top of trailer to floor

Other than that my 85 looks like all the pic’s of 90s. I have several M-2 burners that burn gasoline, but I am not going to use them because they are quite dangerous. My wife, the head chef, refuses to use either of the original types. Instead I am going to build propane burners to replace them. It shouldn’t be hard. Right now $$ is my problem (out of work).

I don’t intend to use my trailer much in cold weather, so the skirts don’t mean much to me. The fan might be nice, but I think that is more of a cold weather thing too.

Keep an eye on GL for trailers. If you go to preview them, I have a suspicion that they won’t let you open one up because of the difficulty of closing them back up. The best you can tell otherwise is if they were stowed correctly, they are probably complete.

Another difference between different models is the number and size of the ceiling vents. MKT-85s have 6 and MKT-75s have 12. See the attached drawings taken from TM 10-7360-206-23. The way you can tell the difference in the GL photos it to count the ribs on the roof. In the photo labeled MKT-75 you can see the ends of 7 ribs. In the photo labeled MKT-85 you can see 4. Judging by the vent size and count, in SCSG-G4's set up at Ft. Jackson it looks like the right trailer is an MKT-75 and the left one is either an MKT-85 or MKT-90.

An MKT-85 might come on either of 2 trailer chasis, the same as M105 trailers. The newer ones will have 2 air hoses (the single trailers store the hose on the right side) which gives them an emergency shutdown if air on the supply line is lost. The easiest way to tell them apart is to look for the inverted ‘8’ lifting/tie-down eyes near the trailer body on each side of the tongue.

Attachments

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, almost all of the ones that were built up to the 90's came with a 12 vent roof. It's the upgrade that has them switching to a six vent roof. in the pictures I posted, both MKT's are 85 models, but Dave's was modified under a contract that rebuilt the whole thing. The six vent models have a better (read safer) vent opening mechanism. Mine was modified for the MBU electrical system but has none of the other enhancements.

In Arlen's second pic, notice the ring at the lower left, that is a rubber rain guard that is supposed to go near the top of the corner post to re-direct water that drips through down onto the post instead of out in the middle of the walkway (we had some rain and I found out the hard way about that feature).

MKT's came in the following models (that I know of): 75, 82, 85, 85S, 90, 99 and -I (for Improved - meaning all the mods were done at the factory, before it left). The fan is indeed for cold weather, as it redirects hot air from the ceiling down a flexible pipe to a vented pipe that is installed under the kick cutout on the field range side - keeps the cooks feet warm in the winter.

If you can preview, just look under the side canvas to see what is inside, without dropping the outer walkway. The more it has in it, the better! I do have some spare parts that are excess to my needs - curtesy of GL auctions (22 short, real canvas, end walls when a single MKT needs just two and the current ones are vinyl). It's a matter of getting the time to go through what I have and inventory it, but there have already been five folks here on SS that have orders either received or in the works. Most items are unobtanium, but if I can help another collector/user and still recover my costs, I'll do it.