• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking To Buy MKT-85 Feild Kitchen

KaiserM109

Mike,
Thanks for the correction and update. In the auction closing tomorrow there is at least 1 MKT-85 with 12 vents. Making a statement like I did about which model has what is like describing old Jeeps or old VW's. They changed features without regard to model or year.

I am looking forward to fielding my kitchen this summer. I want to thank MIke for his help.

Arlyn

KaiserM109

One of our favorite Auction sites has a bunch coming up . I'm thinking it might make a really nice Fathers day gift for my favorite Father in law. … How do they pull? And whats a good price at auction, say if a guy found some at GL.? Thanks Mark
I just watched that auction close (from the sidelines) and some real bargains went by. The highest priced one went for about half of what I paid for mine a year ago. I guess that stands to reason; if I had had $400 today I would have bid on a chassis and deck only in Alabama.

… Ours pulls really well behind a deuce. I would not recommend pulling one for very far without the air breaks. A fully loaded MKT weights a lot and will be hard to stop quickly without breaks. ...
Good luck on your buy. An MKT is a really cool addition to any fleet, and a blast to setup and use.
A loaded MKT-85 can weigh in at 6,000 lb. In any state I am familiar with that requires working brakes.

If you were one of the 16 lucky winners in the CA auction, PM me. I have some info for you.

Arlyn

Just came home to check my bid history:cry:. Your right there were 8 that I had bids on, the cheapest went for $700 and it was the MKT-90, and the highest went for $900 and change! I was in for around $500 and made sure I was no where in sight of my computer at close of auction:p A year ago when the South West had a stronger economy I would of been in for a lot more!! These days times are alot tougher and work and money seem like distant and lost old friends. Don't mean to sound depressing, just goes to show there are deals out there and some lucky guys hopefully SS guys got most of them. Thanks Mark

KaiserM109

… A year ago when the South West had a stronger economy I would of been in for a lot more!! These days times are alot tougher and work and money seem like distant and lost old friends. Don't mean to sound depressing, just goes to show there are deals out there and some lucky guys hopefully SS guys got most of them. Thanks Mark
Man, I know how you feel. I’m collecting unemployment right now; that’s why I wasn’t bidding on some cool stuff.

Not being on the bidder’s list I can’t say for sure, but guessing from how the bidding went, at least half went to resellers.
… the cheapest went for $700 and it was the MKT-90, …
If that MKT-90 had the burners included that was a real steal. The last time I saw some MBU’s that it would have had go across the block they went for $100@.

Take heart, MKT’s come up from time to time. My son is trying to get a paintball business cranked up and my wife and daughter used to do catering, so we plan to use the MKT to feed his events. We estimate that you need to be feeding at least 20 to make it worth even thinking about hauling it up into the woods. Anything less than that we can easily feed with a BBQ grill on the back of my M101 trailer pulled by my Bronco.

Last edited:
Arlyn, Sounds like a great plan! Hope it brings fun and even a little profit to the family. Thanks for your helpful advice on this post and better luck to us both as we recreate our selfs in this new economy:-D:-D:-D. Mark

Avn-Tech

Group,

I bought 3 of the MKT's today at Barstow. I only planned to buy 2, but thought I was outbid on one, so I bid on a third and won.

My girlfriend is planning on setting up a catering business, serving food to the offroaders, that come to town on the weekends. We were looking at the standard roach coaches, but at $50K each, that is a big hit to start a new business.

Now I need to see if I can get a county health permit for one.

Laterrr
Avn-Tech

Denbor5677

MKT-90 99% complete question

Evening,
I know this thread is a bit old but I have a question regarding my MKT-90 which is 99% complete. I initially purchased it with hopes of possibly using it for a part time catering business, which has yet to make it off of the ground. The MKT is in excellent condition and all of the parts (including utensils/ MBU's/ etc) are there and in perfect working condition. I'm seriously considering selling it but havent really been able to gauge how much i should list it for. You all seem to be incredibly knowledegable about this unit and I was just wondering what/where should l look if i actually did decide to sell?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A complete unit, with eight insulated food containers, 12 insulated drink containers, 8 water jugs, a griddle with grease shields, the two ovens with all accessories, six MBU's and the cables and all canvas canopies, walls, skirts and screens, along with the ladders, ice chest and other BII items should be worth somewhere around $4000 on the private market.

A lot of the units going up for sale do not have all that in them, and getting replacement parts is like finding hens teeth - they are usually unobtanium. Or like a certain lot in Hawaii, way too expensive for shipping to even think of bidding on (I got a lot from Hawaii for a minimum bid, then spent $374 getting 225 pounds to SC). A unit that is already in civilian hands, with an SF-97 is just like a deuce - worth twice what was paid at GL after everything is fixed/repaired/replaced. A stripped out body, with no canvas is probably worth $500-700, including your shipping expense. Would make a nice (semi) pop up camper if all the canvas was there. YMMV and 2cents.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
My sons are looking for a stripped out MKT-90. They want to turn it into a bar with a brass pole. They plan to replace all burners with beer coolers. OD Strip club on wheels!!!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking to build a MKST (Mobile Kitchen Support Trailer) for use with Cabell's MKT. Not sure yet wether to use my m146, a laundry trailer, or a stripped MKT.

So I maybe looking for a stripped trailer too.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam,
Your MKST sounds a lot like my MSC idea (along with using the M-109 as a pantry complete with refrigreator and freezer). What exactly were you looking to do?

CGarbee

Mike,
Ferro and I got to talking (a lot) while cooking at Haspin... He has an ice machine, and a 275gal tote for water. Add in some freezers, fridges, water heater, deep sinks, dry goods racks, etc...
You know, everything that we wanted (including the sink) to go alongside the MKT when feeding a group for a week... :)
If we used a stripped MKT as a platform, then we would have the walk around the stored stuff/equipment, and it would line right up to the MKT so that we could walk on the same level from one to the other...

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cabell,
My idea was to use the M-109 for dry storage, the fridge and freezer (with air conditioning too), then use a stripped out MKT as a sanitation center with three sinks, fresh and gray water in the middle and drying racks on the other side. The M-109 would require one step up and a small platform to mount over the tounge end of the trailer and hooked to the bumperettes of the 109 to provide a solid space for feet. An ice machine would be good as well as an extra ice box or two. Using an MKT would make the air conditioning moot. Probably mount the freezer and ice machine over the axle, one on each side, as you said -facing out for better accessability - with the fridge and sink on opposite ends. I'm not so sure about trying to put 275 gallons of water or even a tank that size on the same trailer - that's a ton of water. I would pull a water buffalo and rig up a pump instead. For hot water I'd use an MBU under an old M-59 range with a large tank in it (with permanent plumbing). We'll discuss it further at the Virginia Rally.

CGarbee

Mike,
Ferro and I were starting with the LONG laundry list of stuff that we thought would be nice, and plan to whittle it down to size... :) We've also talked about mounting everything on my spare M1016 tag trailer...

It looks like all three of us will be at the VA trailrides/rally, so we can put our heads together and work out a real plan.

Meanwhile, I've been working up a list of spares on my MKT, and a list of stuff that I don't have but would like. I'll PM you in a couple of days so that we can do some trading (hopefully...).

Oh, one other thing, Ferro wants to keep the load in the 109 down so that he can wheel it next year... He had a blast taking it out this year and only dinged the tool rack when it contacted the bottom of the cab once...

Sevo

Mike,

Meanwhile, I've been working up a list of spares on my MKT, and a list of stuff that I don't have but would like. I'll PM you in a couple of days so that we can do some trading (hopefully...).

Cabell,
I have a MKT being delivered this week from an auction I won on GL. I may have some extras as well. Mike said he will come over and go through it with me to see what I have. I will make a list of any extras and maybe we all can do some trading.

Keeping my fingers crossed its been updated???

Mike and Cabell, i'd be interested to help you guys out in making a support trailer as well. Keep me posted on it and if you need anything. I think its a great idea

Last edited: