• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to give my 1028 a 6.5 turbo/4L80E a heart transplant....

OK - stage one (collect parts) is underway. The MV gods smiled on me, and I found a turbo setup from an older 1008 for sale about 15min from my house. Check out all I managed to scrounge:
image.jpg
GM-8 turbo, VDO/pyrometer cluster, and oil return
image.jpg
Custom crossover pipe and the intake manifold
image.jpg
Passenger side manifold and a GM-3 (I think) turbo as a spare.

I have a line on a 4L80E and transfer freshly rebuilt...guy had it built to go behind a 383 stroker motor, so it should be able of taking anything a turbocharged 6.2 can throw at it.

What other pieces am I missing...wiring harness and computer for the trans? Shift linkage/indicator off the donor truck? Help me out fellas!

Last edited:

Iceman3005

WOW! nice find! As for the linkage and shift indicator, the stock one on your cucv will work. If you want it to read overdrive than 3,2,1 LMC sells the overdrive indicator for about 20 bucks, will fit in your stock shift indicator location and is the origanol look as well! Is the transfer case a left or right hand drop, it needs to be right hand. I think the np205 will bolt right up to the 4l80e but I will have to do some checking on that. If you use a np205 just some simple modifiying of the shifter will make it work, if you use an np208 or np241 just cut and lengthin the shifting rod. Yes you will need the computer and wiring harness if you can get it, other wise you will need a stand alone computer, they cost about $1000 dollars.

Iceman3005

If you can find an np205 that is a 32 spline input shaft and a round bolt pattern than it will bolt right up, the np208 or np241 will also bolt right up, the np241 is a little bit beefer than the np208.

Thanks Iceman - the trans and transfer came out of the same truck, a '97 GMC 4x4 with a 350 stroked out to 383 (if I can get my paws on it), so I'm not terribly worried about them fitting together. He has the whole truck up for parts, so I will try and grab the wiring harness for the trans, and might grab the front seats as well! I sure hope I can get the harness - will save me a lot of ass pain and $hekels in the long run!

Iceman3005

Cool! As for the transfer case the 97 won't work it drops on the left, your case drops on the right. Yes your right I hope you can get the wiring harness that will save a ton of money! As you get more stuff keep us posted with pics!!!! I like to see projects like this!

Did you get the drivers side exhaust manifold? The cross over pipe does not fit the stock manifold. How about the intake manifold?
Yes on the intake manifold (that big silver thing on the tailgate), and no on the drivers side exhaust manifold. The crossover was set up to run the passenger side 6.5 exhaust manifold (turbo mounts there) and the driver's side 6.2 exhaust manifold. I think that, if I fiddle with it, I'll be able to finagle it onto a 6.5 manifold (flare the end a little).

We shall see. At a minimum, I think I'll redo the head gaskets and put in some ARP studs to keep the top end together under boost. What is the consensus on girdling the bottom end?

Iceman3005

I did head studs on mine when the head gasket blew, best thing I ever did. I noticed a difference in pitch when the engine is running and it runs cooler, plus when I get my turbo it will be able to hold the head on the block! As for the bottom girdle, most of the performance shops I work with they say it makes a difference but I have not had any experiance with them to help you out.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Alright - 3 hours in the broiling sun (it hit 84 deg down in Montross, where I got this thing) dropping the trans, crossmember, and front drive shaft (just in case) and I'm smoked.... but I have a cherry, rebuilt 4L80E. The guy spent close to $5k at the dealership getting it installed, drove it for 5,000 miles, and blew up the 6.5 TD motor. He was so pissed, he decided to junk the truck...his loss is my gain. Now this baby is safely nestled in the back of Merle until I can collect a few more pieces and get some garage time at a buddy's place. One step closer to the heart transplant!

Cleptomaniac

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. The US shift controller was easy to install. Just have to have the updated wording inside the tranny and a 2wd speed sensor on the back of the tranny. Also you will need a tps.

Cleptomaniac

I just got mine all squared away. Haven't had any trips but in town I am getting 13mpg!
That's a 6.2 with turbo, 4l80e, np208 with a sye, and dana 60/14bolt with 456 gears and 37" hummer tires/wheels.
Oh yea 5" lift in a 1009.
The tranny is 2" longer and had drive line angle problems. The sye and new driveshaft fixed those.

av8rnik

have you decided what you are doing for the oil lines for the turbo? specifically, what size (diameter and length) on the feed and where you are routing the return?

have you decided what you are doing for the oil lines for the turbo? specifically, what size (diameter and length) on the feed and where you are routing the return?
We we aren't to the turbo just yet...trans crapping out is the more pressing need. I have all the oil lines in the turbo I scavenged... gotta go back and look at them again. They are both the braided stainless with the anodized fittings, and the return line runs back into the block off plate on the front, passenger side of the engine. Once I empty the piggy bank for the trans, then refill (or win the VA lottery) it, I can start assembling the goodies (head gaskets, ARP stud kit, exhaust gaskets, girdle for the crank) I will need to slap the turbo on the 6.2.

I just got mine all squared away. Haven't had any trips but in town I am getting 13mpg!
That's a 6.2 with turbo, 4l80e, np208 with a sye, and dana 60/14bolt with 456 gears and 37" hummer tires/wheels.
Oh yea 5" lift in a 1009.
The tranny is 2" longer and had drive line angle problems. The sye and new driveshaft fixed those.
Clepto - what's an SYE on the transfer (pardon my ignorance)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks