• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loose door glass

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
My door glass windows are loose in the channels. Glass and frames are fine they just rattle when down and pull out at the top when rolled up. Ironhorsethegeneral was telling me there is a kit to fix that. Anybody know what I need and where to find it?

dmuchow

I'd like to know if theres a kit to fix it. My solution right now is some door/window weather sealant strips. At least when it bangs it wont be noisy and make me think the window will shatter.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine do the same thing, put new felts and rubbers in too. I'm interested in the fix also.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put all the runs in new and the window still flopps around lika fish outa water unless I roll it down 2 or 3 inches.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
All the above sound exactly like what my deuce does on the drivers side door. obviously something has some wear on it.

JDToumanian

I also replaced everything... all new rubber, felt wipers and door channels. It made no difference. Nothing is worn out, the parts are a sloppy fit when new!

Another issue my truck (and everyone else's?) has is that if you open the door and then roll up the window, then close the door, the glass will have gone up too far and will not close right. I have not found an easy way to limit the travel of the regulator mechanism... so I just make sure that the windows are closed before opening the doors. If the window is closed properly and you then open the door, you can crank up the window an additional 3/4" or so which would then interfere if you tried to close the door.

My conclusion: This is not precision stuff!

Jon

acetomatoco

me never noticed on any of my 100 deuces thru the years...you have the stops on the bottom of the frame on both sides, and the angle of the guides set toward your top?????

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was just looking at my window, and I imagine a thin shim of teflon sheeting in the C-channel at top would most likely fix most of it. I know there were some NOS M35/5ton doors sold this past year at Aberdeen. Has anyone installed them, and how are they?

JDToumanian

me never noticed on any of my 100 deuces thru the years...you have the stops on the bottom of the frame on both sides, and the angle of the guides set toward your top?????
Thanks Ace! ...I think I get it now, I did not understand the two little slotted angle pieces at the bottom of the window frames... I had tightened the screws with them all the way at the bottom of their slots, but now I see how this acts as the adjustment - the angle piece hitting the top of the inside of the door (or some internal part of the door frame) stops the glass from advancing further, right? The TM was not clear to me regarding this adjustment procedure. :oops:

Jon

Cdub

I would go the the auto body supply store and pick up a tube of Urthane and throw a bead down to seal the glass to the lower support. Keep in mind that this will take at least 24 hours to set up. This is the stuff they use on the cars on the road today to set the windshields in the unibodies.

Cheers,

C'dub

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ace! ...I think I get it now, I did not understand the two little slotted angle pieces at the bottom of the window frames... I had tightened the screws with them all the way at the bottom of their slots, but now I see how this acts as the adjustment - the angle piece hitting the top of the inside of the door (or some internal part of the door frame) stops the glass from advancing further, right? The TM was not clear to me regarding this adjustment procedure. :oops:

Jon[/quote]

Jon, can you snap a pic of what you did?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
builder77 said:
....I imagine a thin shim of teflon sheeting in the C-channel at top would most likely fix most of it.....
I like that idea. Maybe C-shaped, all the lenght of the channel ??? Only problem is how to glue it/ have it stay in place. :?

G.

2027Deuce

Can you be more specific on this or have any pics. Driver side window is loose like everyones is. Passenger side will not go more than half way up, what gives or should give? The TM doesn't have much on this.[/quote]

Barrman

I don't have a picture here at work. But, pull the 6 screws off and remove the access panel at the bottom of the door. You are now looking at the bottom of the glass if it is in the down postion. There will be a long horizontal slot and a short horizontal slot. I can't say left or right for the slots because they are different on each side. On the outside of those slots there should be a little bitty piece of angle iron. Like 3/8"x3/8" with 2 screws holding it to the window frame. That angle iron is what stops the window from coming out the top of the door. They are slotted and can be adjusted a little.

I would guess the window that won't go down all the way is installed backward. (The long slot is at the wrong end of the crank linkage.) I might be able to get pictures of all this tonight.

saddamsnightmare

March 26th, 2008.

Considering that my truck went through a depot overhaul prior to Desert Storm and since has only racked up 22,860 miles, that the drivers and the passengers windows both tend to lean out enough at the top to let rain work its way in off the hard top. These sashes are fairly heavy and I suspect that there will be a need to run the guides or tracks out at the bottom ends to get the tops of the sashes back were they should be. I don't think that refelting the guides will control this slop.... and I'm not sure that the TM is too specific either. This seems to be an endemic problem with the deuces, and I am certain that the sof cab roofs haven't got the ears found on the M38A2 tops to handle the water diversion situation. My passenger window also comes within about 3/8 of an inch of closing up at the top of the guides, I think someone set the regulator at one or two teeth below where it should be..... Wartime Quality control, you know....
Quality is Job One at Uncle Sam's Army Surplus Store....

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce Truck
""??"" Johnson MFG Co. M105A2 1-1/2 Ton Trailer, Cargo, in MERDC or NATO Woodland 4 color scheme
1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog Cargo Truck, S404.114 Swiss Army...

IMA944T

Do the two screws on the horitzontal slot on the bottom adjust the tilt or angle of the window.? Changing the angle od the guides sound like what needs to be done but haven't seen any adjustments the scre at bottom of guide at rear of window was removed and it looks like it only hold guide in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks