• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loose Nuts & Bolts

RaggedyMan

Does the Deuce suffer from the same malady as the Harley? When I first brought it home (Deuce 1/2) there were leaks here and there that I found was nothing more than nuts/bolts that needed torquing, some were quite loose. Since tightening everything up (I thought) there is not a drop of anything leaking. I bought it in rather fine condition, so were the fasteners just not tightened well or did the 300 mile road trip work them loose? This was several years ago but just recently while I was installing egt and boost lines I noticed a loose nut on the intake manifold, upon checking ALL of them were loose, a couple I could turn with my fingers. I got them tight but wondering if when I check or change oil, filters, fill her up with fuel, do I add "torque all nuts and bolts" to my routine?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the Deuce suffer from the same malady as the Harley? When I first brought it home (Deuce 1/2) there were leaks here and there that I found was nothing more than nuts/bolts that needed torquing, some were quite loose. Since tightening everything up (I thought) there is not a drop of anything leaking. I bought it in rather fine condition, so were the fasteners just not tightened well or did the 300 mile road trip work them loose? This was several years ago but just recently while I was installing egt and boost lines I noticed a loose nut on the intake manifold, upon checking ALL of them were loose, a couple I could turn with my fingers. I got them tight but wondering if when I check or change oil, filters, fill her up with fuel, do I add "torque all nuts and bolts" to my routine?
The only reason Harleys have bolts come loose is the owner to cheap to use Loc-tight and replace used locknuts with new ones ( or poor maintenance ). So now with the deuce you got a 50 year old truck , how many times have these bolts been in and out ? If you have bolts that come loose don't just re-tighten them clean the threads and apply some blue Loc-Tight.

someoldmoose

P M C S . . . that about covers it. Not trying to bash or be a wiseguy but these things are nothing but GIGANTIC vibrators when running. Anytime I am within reach of a fastener I AT LEAST try to turn it by hand. I am constantly eyeballing rivets and welds for "shinys" or cracks. The only time NOTHING on your beast will need looked at, adjusted, retorqued, or otherwise maintained will be if / when you get rid of it, and NOBODY wants that. Be meticulous on maintenance and she'll pay you back handsomely. Ignore her and it'll cost you ? Sound like any other kind of relationship ? Good luck and Happy Motoring !

RaggedyMan

The only reason Harleys have bolts come loose is the owner to cheap to use Loc-tight and replace used locknuts with new ones ( or poor maintenance ). So now with the deuce you got a 50 year old truck , how many times have these bolts been in and out ? If you have bolts that come loose don't just re-tighten them clean the threads and apply some blue Loc-Tight.
Thanks porkysplace. I used loc-tight on my FLH but have not had to on any my other vehicles, that's why I was asking. Haven't really had a problem with any of the fasteners on the deuce loosening up again but then I don't drive it every week. I'll keep a check

MDSA

There is a problem with the nuts on the short drive shaft coming loose. I found a green nut on the ground where I park my Deuce. Not good. Looked around underneath and found that a couple nuts were missing and some were loose. Replaced them all with new lock nuts.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There is a problem with the nuts on the short drive shaft coming loose. I found a green nut on the ground where I park my Deuce. Not good. Looked around underneath and found that a couple nuts were missing and some were loose. Replaced them all with new lock nuts.
Check your engine mounts. Probably worn out. Causes vibration and even lock nuts can back off. Driveline bolts back out and break from worn mounts and u joints.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Pull off the tunnel covers and re-tighten all the wondrous things in there.
Some pictures for the General.................
IMG_1342.jpgIMG_1348.jpgIMG_1350.jpgIMG_1351.jpgIMG_1352.jpgIMG_1355.jpg

*and now is the time to get in there and put the GAA into all those grease fittings some have never seen.
And anyhow, a Harley is not a tactical military vehicle and can not move two ton across a plowed field. Take care of what you got.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks