• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lord help me I've become a Goat Herder

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before diving it far, be sure the transfercase oil pump is functioning(it may need priming).

They can loose prime after sitting for a long time. It's just a simple lifter type pump system.

PM me a number if you need more info.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PB secretly loves goats.

That sounds weird...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just about to TX/LA border. Should be home around 2000 tonight.

Surprisingly most of the tires have as much air now as when we loaded. Right front is the only one going low but its still holding air.

dmetalmiki

Goat at war and peace

Seemed like everyone was bidding on it. Ran considerably over the original end time (as did all the othere there). Most, with and without wench, ended over $3500 but at least they were all rollers.
I hope the "wenches" were dressed suitably for the cold! What a nice looking truck, at that price you must be pleased. They fetch over £10.000 here. Mine is suberb I would not part with it for anything. only two known running and on the road in the U.K. And the ONLY historic vehicle you can drive under the age of 30 un uk. registered as a tractor. so you can drive a tractor in the U.K. at age 16 on L plates. So our apprentices (young helpers) can drive it, and they really enjoy the noise.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope the "wenches" were dressed suitably for the cold! What a nice looking truck, at that price you must be pleased. They fetch over £10.000 here. Mine is suberb I would not part with it for anything. only two known running and on the road in the U.K. And the ONLY historic vehicle you can drive under the age of 30 un uk. registered as a tractor. so you can drive a tractor in the U.K. at age 16 on L plates. So our apprentices (young helpers) can drive it, and they really enjoy the noise.
I'm usually the one correcting the "wench" "winch" comments so only fair when I get called out on it.

I'm exceedingly pleased with the Goat and reading through the -10 while Rory, AKA Joel, is driving I came to the conclusion that it is probably in 6x Low as I seem to recall both in the Forward position. When we stop for fuel again
to check. That is likely the issue with the steering.

dmetalmiki

Get them gears swapped quick. ( all back) you can't have two wheel low. T.M.s and others state a lot of damage can ensue running on pavement in all wheel drive low. you will notice the difference imediately , (curves and turns a definate no-no)and get there Sooner, with a lot less fuss. Congratulations on the purchase and glad the journey is going well . That's a long drive. And we thought 160 mile or so was way long. post some pictures when you get it home and have the time.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep it was in 6 Low. Have to wait until we offload to see if it makes a difference but I'm pretty confident it will.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I'm back in my AO.
Good trip, and other than passing through a town called Murphy, there were no other appearances by said bane of the MV recoverer.

We had no problems, great folks were met/re-met along the way, and a NC Goat is now safely arrived at it's new home in Texas. And three of us in close proximity 24 hours a day for four days, and not even a threat of anyone getting choked out.
I had no idea there were that many Waffle Houses in the world, spotting them became a running gag.

Had a too-short visit with Papabear, and ran around like kids on Christmas looking at his toys. I could have spent another day just playing there. It was my great pleasure to finally see Proud American in the flesh (so to speak) and actually sit in her drivers seat.
Papabear is a gracious host. I think we managed to wipe most of the drool off his vehicle collection as we went.

Apparently, I don't get to pick the short cuts anymore, at least in North Carolina.
Hwy 19 looked pretty decent on the map, and while it was a beautiful road, it's not one I'd choose to drive towing 10k pounds of trailer again anytime soon. The attached picture is one of the straighter, wider spots, where the rock face was around 8" from the fog line. There were points where it was closer. But we got through just fine, didn't pick up any rocks, didn't leave any paint or mirrors.

More anon, too tired to think straight now.
Cheers

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did fall in love on the trip, but her Forestry Service parents wouldn't let us elope together.

A 2007 M915A4 with a Ferree 22' step-deck. Swoon!!

We would have made such a lovely couple!

Cheers

Attachments

Keith_J

Not looking forward to wrenching on an FMV I have no experience with..configuration plus two stroke Detroit Diesel. I heard of GGs when I was in the US Army, just never saw one in real life.

Yes, I bailed on this recovery, first sinus and allergy attack of the season. The only med that works really saps alertness.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks