• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lost my "Death Wobble" virginity

tacticalloader

Well that sucks! i will be replacing parts this weekend, as i dont want to do that again. Going 50 on the highway, traffic ahead stopping. I ease onto my breaks and as i approach 35 the violence begins. I upgraded to goodyear 16.5x37 Military radials 3 weeks back, have put 800 miles on them already, first time. My M1031 only has 17k on it. I am surprised to have worn out front end parts already. Going to do king pins and steering stabilizer. Anything else i should check. i should note i am a CUCV virgin and have only had it for about 6 weeks. i have been paying my dues though lol

chuck0070

I havent experienced the Death Wobble... have seen and read several posts about it. Scares the crap out of me.. describe it if you dont mind.

Thanks

kevin-m1008

Death wobble culprits I start with are:

1. Make sure front tires are balanced
2. check for lose wheel bearings
3. rotors and pads
3. then go to steering and kingpins.

I do not believe any light duty truck should need a steering stabilizer(s) Unless your trying to hide another issue or some cool factor. My M715 has 38" XL's and are fun to balance with the stock rims but when done right drives smooth.

YMMV

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's truly 17K, i'd change just the king pin bushings and springs, after you first check what Kevin suggested.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had this same problem on my 1-ton GMC 2wd, and after days of looking and searching for some phantom front-end problem I discovered----------- it's the disk brakes! Caliper(s) were rusted and hanging up, anti-rattle spring(s) missing or rusted, pads gone bad--- whatever--- look at you front brakes first, you might be surprised what you find.

Asgar

Ditto, what cucvnut said. Had death wobble, balanced / rotated/ inflated tires, did not fix, then snugged up the front bearings, no fix... then changed the front king pin white bushings and springs, problem solved. I went for an alignment after that and all was already exactly correct. The King pin spring was a good 1/4" to 3/8" shorter, it had 'set' over the 25 years in service. The kit is cheap and you can change them very quickly. Try that first.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, tacticalloader, welcome to the site, can we get some side pics of your SECM M1031 with the 37's??? Looks like you did a arch cutout over the rears with no lift front or rear? I'm planning installing the 37's on my identical truck and would like to see what you did.

i just want to clear some things up on the dreaded death-wobble, which i have experienced a few times, and due to funds and time have not fixed yet, but will be soon... if you have an M1009, your not going to be a victim of the "Dreaded Death Wobble" we are all talking about... this is something that takes place with M1008, M1010, M1028., and any other variation of the Chevy 5/4 ton CUCV's that have Dana 60 Kingpin frontend... it is usually, but not always, due to worn out kingpin springs and bushings... if your M1009 is experiencing this type of problem, it is probably due to bad/worn brake components, bad balljoints(i believe you have those on M1009s) or bad wheelbearings... hope this helps ...

chuck0070

i just want to clear some things up on the dreaded death-wobble, which i have experienced a few times, and due to funds and time have not fixed yet, but will be soon... if you have an M1009, your not going to be a victim of the "Dreaded Death Wobble" we are all talking about... this is something that takes place with M1008, M1010, M1028., and any other variation of the Chevy 5/4 ton CUCV's that have Dana 60 Kingpin frontend... it is usually, but not always, due to worn out kingpin springs and bushings... if your M1009 is experiencing this type of problem, it is probably due to bad/worn brake components, bad balljoints(i believe you have those on M1009s) or bad wheelbearings... hope this helps ...
This was a huge help, thank you very much.

hokie8358

death wobble

know were your comin from!! i purchased last dec. 2010 a m1028 that only had 32,700 on it. drove it around farm and down the road just to freshin it up. on the 5th outing it hit me at 45mph coming up on a stoplight. then i went back the same way and got me again braking into a turn at 40mph! it sucks. the guys on here helped me out. checked kingpins,all was good. went to stock stabilizer and completely shot! new dual rough country in line stab. fixed it!! good luck!!

jets1959

:beer:Welcome TacticalLoader. I to am new to this site and cucv's. My M1037 had 43,500 miles on it when I bought it. It came from an army reserve unit so I thought it would have been better maintained, not so. I have been slowly but surely doing all the regular maintenance on it. The rear axle shafts had never been off from the factory so the rear drums and brakes had never been inspected. You need to look at everything before you use you truck regularly. Good luck and enjoy your truck. I do mine.2cents:):deadhorse:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks