• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lots of Deuce Work

Clay James

So after all the stuff I did to that front axle, I just noticed today BOTH sides are leaking AGAIN! aua At this point I'm about to just say **** it and let it leak or ditch this POS axle.

Clay James

The vent is fine and driving causes it to leak because the differential moving trows oil on the axle shaft and it migrates down to the seal and runs out. It's leaking from the inner front axle seals. I have a few ideas on things to check. I'm becoming an expert at these axles just trying to stop them from leaking. At least the rears are fine and the brakes work great and the boots aren't dry rotting immediately like the last ones. I think the new shocks took care of the cupping as well since there's only a very small amount now which could just be normal wear.

Clay James

I did think of what it might be. When I reassembled the knuckles I greased them so I could make sure to get a lot in there and the kingpin bushings were tight since they were brand new. When I checked for end play the tight bushings and packed in grease could have made it seem like there was none, but as soon as the truck is on the ground driving again there goes the axle seals again. There's little pucks on top of the top kingpin bushings that control the end play. The military did have kits available with different thicknesses to get the correct fit. I'll tear it down again(approaching pit crew speeds) and check. If that's the problem I'll have to get some thicker pucks or mill down the top kingpin plate. I also found a place that came up with a new design for the seal and retainer, so I'll check into that, it might be worth the money.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks