• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lots of exhaust from crankcase breather

47to70

Hi ,

What are the possible causes of lots of exhaust pouring out of the crankcase breather tube? Just had the old gal drug home and think I might have a bad turbo, could that be a cause?..............too hot to touch right now. No oil and water mixing.

thanks for any help.

47to70

Yes..............that's what it looks like. What is hard for me to understand is how it came on so sudden. The blow by went from a little to a lot in a 25 mile trip.

FloridaAKM

You heated up the engine & stuff starts to clean up, loosen up & your blowby will increase. My truck will do that & it only has 12,000.0 miles on it. The road tube is on there for a reason, to blow all the oil away from the truck onto the road.

Jeepsinker

It very well could be caused by a worn turbo, but it could also be a worn air compressor, one or more cracked piston rings, cracked or burned piston, etc.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the good news is that you have always wanted to do the head gasket anyway....right? Just drop the oil pan and you are in business! Trying to cheer you up!

47to70

Well, the good news is that you have always wanted to do the head gasket anyway....right? Just drop the oil pan and you are in business! Trying to cheer you up!
Thanks for the uplifting thought. One can not do the rings with the engine still in the truck........can they? Am having to delay my planes to invade Canada until get her running right again, so sleep well cattlerepairman (LOL).

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the uplifting thought. One can not do the rings with the engine still in the truck........can they? Am having to delay my planes to invade Canada until get her running right again, so sleep well cattlerepairman (LOL).
Yes, you can. The engine can be in-frame overhauled. The working under the truck part sure sucks, but if you lift the frame up a bit you get even more clearance between front axle and oil pan.

Here is a post from someone who did it: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?78609-in-frame-engine-overhaul

Jeepsinker

I would still check the turbo before I pulled the heads off, if you haven't already done so. A turbo can eat it's bearings real fast and put shavings into the oil. Same for crankshaft bearings in the air compressor.

While it likely is your rings, it would be a shame to do all that work because you overlooked something easy.

47to70

I would still check the turbo before I pulled the heads off, if you haven't already done so. A turbo can eat it's bearings real fast and put shavings into the oil. Same for crankshaft bearings in the air compressor.

While it likely is your rings, it would be a shame to do all that work because you overlooked something easy.

I pulled the intake pipe off................shaft spun easily and found no endplay..................is that enough? My air compressor is a new old stock put on last year and seems to be working fine.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

That's about all you can do. Now think about pulling the oil pan to have a look before you pull both heads. You could just have one damaged piston with a broken skirt or something that really doesn't make it necessary to pull both heads. Or You can just dive in waist deep, tear it all apart, and replace everything. Totally up to you.

47to70

Did not get to the oil pan today, but did look at the bigger chunks that were in my oil. They are non magnetic, smooth on one side, rough on the other. Some are up to 1/2" long and all seem to be just a bit over 1/4" wide, thickest piece is .09. Lots of fines of course, the 1/4 width seems to be the original size. Sorry no pics, maybe can get the wife to post them when she's not mad at me (don't hold your breath). Any guesses?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks