• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

loud grinding type noise when making sharp turns

sp00n

when the wheel is "locked" to right or left (doesn't matter) or close to "locked" and you begin moving forward in any gear it makes a god awful grinding kind of noise. loudly. sounds almost like a big clutch that lost its springs but as soon as you straighten out it quits and everything is fine. this is low speed parking lot maneuvering, going around slight curves and stuff does not create this noise.

it is a winch truck with an air engage front end. grinding noise happens with front axle disengaged, have not tried with it engaged. truck has regular 9.20 tires and does not have any form of assisted steering.

I don't think this a "normal" noise for these trucks, could anyone give me any ideas what I should start looking at?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Busted U-joint? There is birfield style axles too, could be a ball bearing fell out of a cracked casing.

You got me, my first guess would be tire rub but you say it has the stock ndcc's so thats probably not it.
Does it have manual hubs by any chance?
And is the sound coming from the front end or elsewhere?

sp00n

You got me, my first guess would be tire rub but you say it has the stock ndcc's so thats probably not it.
Does it have manual hubs by any chance?
And is the sound coming from the front end or elsewhere?
sounds comes mostly out of the floor near the transfer/ptowinch shifters. I am almost suspicious of the pto shaft to the winch doing something its not supposed to while turning.

to my knowledge it does not have locking hubs.

You would know if it did have locking hubs, there would be big dials in the center of your front wheels with arrows pointing in either direction (clockwise/counterclockwise) and the words 'locked' and 'unlocked'. You say the noise seems to be coming from beneath you? Hmmmm Have a friend walk beside your truck when it makes the noise, He/She will be able to tell you with greater accuracy exactly where the noise is coming from. From there you can determine where to look next. I doubt it's the pto or winch shaft but I won't rule it out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If someone is walking beside it, have them put their hand on the hub, they will know if its coming from inside.

R Racing

Is it coming from the front or rear ?? if from the rear it could be your rear axles moving left to right. Mine makes a bunch of noise and pops in tight turning. mine move almost a full 2 inches. they remind me of the 70 cobra torino I had with a 429 SCJ and when that detriot locker would pop and unload lol.

mktopside

Banned
when the wheel is "locked" to right or left (doesn't matter) or close to "locked" and you begin moving forward in any gear it makes a god awful grinding kind of noise. loudly. sounds almost like a big clutch that lost its springs but as soon as you straighten out it quits and everything is fine. this is low speed parking lot maneuvering, going around slight curves and stuff does not create this noise.

it is a winch truck with an air engage front end. grinding noise happens with front axle disengaged, have not tried with it engaged. truck has regular 9.20 tires and does not have any form of assisted steering.

I don't think this a "normal" noise for these trucks, could anyone give me any ideas what I should start looking at?
My M35A3 does the same exact thing when backing out of my driveway in the morning. Noise sounds like it comes from under the cab. It doesn't really bother me, but it's not plesent. I did however just install a set of AVM hubs, but have not driven the truck yet. I'll pay attention to the noise next time I drive it to see if the hubs made a difference.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The next time you drive it and you turn the wheel all the way and it starts making the grinding sound, reach down the feel the PTO shift lever. If necessary, apply just enough forward or backward pressure to ensure that the following isn't occurring:

When you turn the wheels, the cab and frame are flexing and the cab floor is touching the shift handle and therefore trying to shove the PTO into gear.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........................the cab floor is touching the shift handle and therefore trying to shove the PTO into gear.
Right on, Clint; very likely that is the case.

Usually solved by adjusting the lenght of the (adjustable) connecting link assy between PTO-shift lever and -shift rod.

G.

sp00n

Will use your advice about the PTO lever when turning, thanks.

Update: This is for sure not an axle/ujoint problem. When under power with the steering locked it makes the noise, clutch in or neutral while still moving with wheel locked makes no noise. I thought maybe the clutch was slipping but it doesn't make this noise at all on inclines while moving straight. I don't have anything close to heavy enough to put in the bed or try and drag to see if it'll slip.

I have many years experience working on passenger cars and know what to look for in a slipping clutch there, but not so much with heavy duty trucks like this. Again the only time it makes this noise is with the wheel locked under power in any gear. Neutral/clutch in while moving noise goes away immediately.

91W350

Those Birfield style axles can really clatter. My old Chevy Napco sounded like a tommy gun coasting or under a load at full steering lock. Mine had grooves worn in the center where they rode going straight, when you cranked the steering they knocked as they hopped in and out of the groove. Doubt that is your problem, but sharing it for the masses. That truck had at least 300,000 miles on it and was on its fifth engine. Glen

Barrman

Open your master cylinder fill hatch. You can see the pto shaft then and tell if it is turning. Another simple diagnostic trick is to use a 3/4" wrench and remove the splined hub covers on the front hubs. Pull them both and see if the noise goes away. If it does, put one side on at a time and see which corner is having a fit.

sp00n

Open your master cylinder fill hatch. You can see the pto shaft then and tell if it is turning. Another simple diagnostic trick is to use a 3/4" wrench and remove the splined hub covers on the front hubs. Pull them both and see if the noise goes away. If it does, put one side on at a time and see which corner is having a fit.

What will removing the hub cover ultimately tell me if it causes the noise to stop? Replace spline cover with a new one?

rlwm211

Taking the spline cap off stops the axle from turning.
If the grinding is your axle this would verify that.
This is merely a step in the diagnostic process of
eliminating components until you figure out
what the source of the grinding is.

RL

green machine

Taking the spline cap off stops the axle from turning.

If the grinding is your axle this would verify that.
This is merely a step in the diagnostic process of
eliminating components until you figure out
what the source of the grinding is.

RL
id try the pto shifter thing had the same problem only didnt catch it n time the winch ended up getting engaged and made a mess out of the front of my freshly painted truck.

rlwm211

No Doubt that all ideas posted here to help out are good ones and
I was only answering Spoon's specific question as to the reason
for pulling a spline cap on the front axle.

RL