• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

loud grinding type noise when making sharp turns

spicergear

Gotta double check those winch in-out clutches and make sure they're OUT when not in use. I got a free winch line from a fire company when they left the clutch in and bumped the pto shifter going through the woods for a brush fire and blew the bottom rod out of the winch.

The 'birfield' style is called a CV joint- balls and slots just like a typical car front axle under the boot...only much larger and pretty darn strong. I had a 53 REO that had a busted front outer short shaft with no damage to the long inner axle or CV joint.

As far as your noise...if it did it all the time while turning I would suspect the front spider gears got knocked out...but doesn't seem like it not doing it while coasting and steering locked. Any sprag experts out there? Could the sprag, I know not designed to work like that...but possible be going bad and the drag of the front tires being turned and power put to the case and through a possible bad sprag do that? A bad bearing will make more noise under load too. ...

Maverick1701

My a2 has makes a similar noise when turning to the right...its a grinding/highpitched screech....I oiled my zerks on the front end and it went away.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So was this ever resolved?

sp00n

Not really. Now it will only do it when making sharp left turns. Still only under power. I didn't do anything to the truck, it just quit making noise when turning right.

Odd thing I noticed while trail riding this weekend is if I am on "soft" terrain (anything not hard pavement) the noise is absolutely not there at all. Once I get back onto pavement its back, I'm guessing it might be something to do with a wheel bearing or cv joint being tweaked by the large tire dragging on pavement.

Spicergear- no sprag on this truck, its an air engage front axle.

mikey

I've got the same exact problem on my 57 REO M108. Very loud grinding noise while turning sharp right in slow turns. Some great advice in this thread, which I'll try.

That being said, did you ever resolve this OP?

Thanks

Mikey

Barrman

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but reading the -20 manual on the front axle, pulling the hubs and putting in new boots is something that will have to be done sooner or later anyway. Do it now before you tear up more parts.

Are you sure the noise is coming from the front and not just the rear axles shifting like they do in a tight turn?

mikey

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but reading the -20 manual on the front axle, pulling the hubs and putting in new boots is something that will have to be done sooner or later anyway. Do it now before you tear up more parts.

Are you sure the noise is coming from the front and not just the rear axles shifting like they do in a tight turn?
I have a laundry list of things to solve before I drive the truck again. There are bigger problems than the grinding, but I won't drive it until I fix the grinding. I know I need to replace the boots and I plan on inspecting the hubs when I do so. That being said, I don't want to assume it's the hub. This site is an awesome place for troubleshooting ideas that the TM's just don't cover from members who have already experienced similar problems. My grinding is ONLY present on slow, tight right turns. Mine also sounds like it's coming from dead center, not the right wheel. I can't be 100% sure it's coming from the front, but I believe so. I'll have someone walk the truck while I drive. I'm also going to pay particular attention to the PTO shift lever since it's not stock, but a lever JT fabricated.

It would be nice to know however, whether the OP found a resolution to his problem, and if so, what it was.

Mikey

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds to me like classic trans/transfer rattle when the engine is at or near idle. The lower the idle, the worse it will be. What happens is the engine impulses cause the drive train to bounce, ie, twist, untwist, rapidly. That would not be due to clutch slippage.

Bet most Diesel drivers know this sound when the clutch has just engaged and the engine is not up to revs. My mogs do it, my Dodge/Cummins/6 speed does it.

Your description of noise stopping immediately if the clutch is disengaged fits this perfectly. The wheels being turned to lock in either direction just makes the truck a little harder to get rolling.

The noise propagates all along the drivetrain so is hard to locate.

If you set your engine idle revs higher the problem will probably subside.

Bob

Last edited:

montanadave13

Here is a thought, have you checked if your steering stops are dry? They are the nubs on the front and back of the steering knuckle that limit the steering. Without a little dab of greese on each one( there are four) they can give off some loud and hard to find noises. Considering they only are used when the wheels are turned all the way to the locks.
Its worth a shot and easy too.