• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Louisana to Georgia rally

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Okay just got off the phone with profo and Trailboss looks like we will leave my AO at 0700 on the 19th.
We will be leaving the LZ in Gadsden around 0900 in order to navigate Hotlanta after the morning traffic jam and before the afternoon traffic jam.

My guess is that you guys will hit it just in time for the afternoon flush unless you bust camp a lot earlier. If you do we can meet up near the AL/GA line.

We'll stop at the Flying J Truckstop at Exit 138 for chow and then motor on in to Durhamtown before dark so I can drop the wagon off and park the truck in the vendor area since all my trade goods will be on pallets in the cargo bed.

Csm Davis

We will be leaving the LZ in Gadsden around 0900 in order to navigate Hotlanta after the morning traffic jam and before the afternoon traffic jam.

My guess is that you guys will hit it just in time for the afternoon flush unless you bust camp a lot earlier. If you do we can meet up near the AL/GA line.

We'll stop at the Flying J Truckstop at Exit 138 for chow and then motor on in to Durhamtown before dark so I can drop the wagon off and park the truck in the vendor area since all my trade goods will be on pallets in the cargo bed.
I figured we would hit Atlanta about 2 pm. Google maps says 7 hours over I figure we are probably looking at 9 hours being big and slow or am I miss calculating something? Should I call it 10 hours and 48 mph average? That still puts us in Atlanta by 3 pm, is that to late?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I figured we would hit Atlanta about 2 pm. Google maps says 7 hours over I figure we are probably looking at 9 hours being big and slow or am I miss calculating something? Should I call it 10 hours and 48 mph average? That still puts us in Atlanta by 3 pm, is that to late?

It will be a lil bad about then. I was thru there at 3 the other day. There is a lot of construction goin on. Especially paving.

2.5 hrs is respectable time from bham to Atlanta i did the other day towing.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That still puts us in Atlanta by 3 pm, is that to late?

Morning traffic jam starts around 6am and ends about 9am. Afternoon traffic jam starts around 3 and last until all the morons get home or to the bars.

That's under optimum conditions. Add road construction, a hazmat spill, a big event downtown at the arena, or other traffic incident and all bets are off.

If you hit the GA line by 2 pm their time you can prob squeak through unless something like the above pops up.

It takes about an hour to get from the line to downtown Hotlanta.

They are also an hour ahead of us. Did you factor that in?

The big bottlenecks are the I-20/I-285 interchanges on both sides of the city and the big I-75/I-85/I-20 malfunction junction smack downtown.

Trucks are supposed to use the bypass but I always just blow on through on I-20. Saves about 30 miles.

Will you be in a civy rig or military? How many MV's will be in your convoy? Will you have to make a fuel stop prior to hitting Atlanta. The best place to fuel once you get through there is Madison (Exit 113 or 114) unless you can make it to the Flying J at Exit 138.

Fuel is higher in GA so I'd top off in Alabama unless you are carrying enough to get you back to Alabama once you leave the rally.

Just my observations from have been a truck driver and from traveling over there to do movie extra roles last year.

Csm Davis

Morning traffic jam starts around 6am and ends about 9am. Afternoon traffic jam starts around 3 and last until all the morons get home or to the bars.

That's under optimum conditions. Add road construction, a hazmat spill, a big event downtown at the arena, or other traffic incident and all bets are off.

If you hit the GA line by 2 pm their time you can prob squeak through unless something like the above pops up.

It takes about an hour to get from the line to downtown Hotlanta.

They are also an hour ahead of us. Did you factor that in?

The big bottlenecks are the I-20/I-285 interchanges on both sides of the city and the big I-75/I-85/I-20 malfunction junction smack downtown.

Trucks are supposed to use the bypass but I always just blow on through on I-20. Saves about 30 miles.

Will you be in a civy rig or military? How many MV's will be in your convoy? Will you have to make a fuel stop prior to hitting Atlanta. The best place to fuel once you get through there is Madison (Exit 113 or 114) unless you can make it to the Flying J at Exit 138.

Fuel is higher in GA so I'd top off in Alabama unless you are carrying enough to get you back to Alabama once you leave the rally.

Just my observations from have been a truck driver and from traveling over there to do movie extra roles last year.
All great points wrecker the only thing I didn't take into account is the time change.

Csm Davis

It will be a lil bad about then. I was thru there at 3 the other day. There is a lot of construction goin on. Especially paving.

2.5 hrs is respectable time from bham to Atlanta i did the other day towing.

How long would you say it takes from my house to Atlanta? Google says 7, I say 9, and what do you say in 5 tons.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
About 8 nonstop . Averaging 52mph. Give or take. Faster on flats and hill bog downs being factored in. Plus losing an hour on time zone.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My reference is that i just towed a dozer from Marietta to laurel and i was around 7 hours non stop.

Csm Davis

About 8 nonstop . Averaging 52mph. Give or take. Faster on flats and hill bog downs being factored in. Plus losing an hour on time zone.

My reference is that i just towed a dozer from Marietta to laurel and i was around 7 hours non stop.

Thanks bud that helps a bunch, for my convoy guys that don't know Simpson he has a M923A1 that pulls hard and he has a lead foot, if he made it in 7, I think 9 hours is safe figure for us going east this includes the extra hour we lose at the Bama line. So how's about we roll out at 6? Just to give some extra padding?

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If there are any slow pokes or problems than they can ride on the trailer after Birmingham if need be.

Csm Davis

This should put us at Alabama, Georgia line around 1-2 eastern time. And this is if we are slow, I figure me or profo are going to be limited to 60-65 mph max.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... So how's about we roll out at 6? Just to give some extra padding?
Works for me.

Returning from the Rally last year doing 60-65, it took 10 hrs to drive past your house on the way home which included a 1/2hr construction delay and fuel/rest stops. Of course, on Sunday there was no rush hour traffic and I ate on the run. If we left at 0600 CT, we should arrive between 1630-1800 ET unless we have a breakdown on top of rush hour or construction delays.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I'll call you from Exit 199 in Alabama to see where you are when we get there. If you are pretty close we'll wait at the Ga state line.

If not we'll roll on through Hotlanta and wait on you at the Flying J.

We can make a royal entrance into the rally.

profo

We can leave whenever I should be at your house the day before around 1 pm. I will probably tank up before I get to your house also I carry 110 gallons of fuel on board.

marty

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'll call you from Exit 199 in Alabama to see where you are when we get there. If you are pretty close we'll wait at the Ga state line.

If not we'll roll on through Hotlanta and wait on you at the Flying J.

We can make a royal entrance into the rally.
Ha royal entry with your shaggin wagon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks