• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low cost solution to that HMMWV intake manifold

85-m1028

acetomatoco said:
Looks like a CUCV to me... What's all the aluminum foil for?
It is a CUCV but the single plane, low profile intake manifold and engine are from a HMMWV...

When I had the engine out I sprayed rubber undercoating on the firewall and under the cab. "amazingly it cleaned up very nicely and looked brandnew before I sprayed it!" On the firewall I also put the aluminum lined padding to help quiet the interior.

85-m1028

I've had this set up like this for about fifteen thousand miles now and it seems to be holding up well. I just recently added the high flow air filter. I got a cheap paper filter to start with because I didn't know if the ABS would stand the heat under the hood...

Future plans are to put the batteries on the front tray and make a box for the intake on the rear battery tray. This will be the ideal location to cut a hole through the hood and make an external air route like you see on the HMMWV. I will fab a special cap out of fiberglass but it will bemore retangular and not round.

I need a new hood because mine was stomped pretty bad before I got the truck so I have an crappy hood to experiment with!!

AJMBLAZER

Would this work with a regular CUCV 6.2L?

Pondering something like this for my CUCV...those old GM air intakes weren't known for their efficiency.

Is the elbow where it meets the intake manifold a HMMWV part or something you came up with?

Noticed any mpg or performance differences?

85-m1028

I think the dual plane "stock CUCV intake" sits a little tall for this set up, but I'm not sure.

The diamer of the inner circle on the aluminum intake is 6". I used whats called a drainage basin slightly modified for this. I got all the parts from the plumbing dept in Home Depot. the black rubber part is a 4" coupler that I had to strech around the larger diameter of the "drain basin".

They sell 1' x 1' x 1/8" rubber sheets for making gaskets in the plumbing dept as well, I just put some used oil on the 6" diameter part of the drain basin to mark the rubber sheet. I used a utility knife to cut it out and used it to seal the surface between the drain basin and aluminum intake "brownish red in the picture"

I used some "Allthread" and wingnuts to secure it "I don't remember the size, possibly 5/16". cost is about $25 in parts not including the air filter...

Personaly I picked up about 2mpg increase and a little more power in the butt dyno dept. "results may vary"

As far as the sound I couldn't really tell you because I did a lot of other sound proofing at the same time?? but it is quieter!! I do plan to coat it with something in the future...

AJMBLAZER

Cool. Kinda reminds me of what I did on my 350 gas Blazer a few years ago. Used some of the same parts but I had an aftermarket "elbow" that was left over from a friend to start with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks