• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low cost solution to that HMMWV intake manifold

85-m1028

acetomatoco said:
Looks like a CUCV to me... What's all the aluminum foil for?
It is a CUCV but the single plane, low profile intake manifold and engine are from a HMMWV...

When I had the engine out I sprayed rubber undercoating on the firewall and under the cab. "amazingly it cleaned up very nicely and looked brandnew before I sprayed it!" On the firewall I also put the aluminum lined padding to help quiet the interior.

85-m1028

I've had this set up like this for about fifteen thousand miles now and it seems to be holding up well. I just recently added the high flow air filter. I got a cheap paper filter to start with because I didn't know if the ABS would stand the heat under the hood...

Future plans are to put the batteries on the front tray and make a box for the intake on the rear battery tray. This will be the ideal location to cut a hole through the hood and make an external air route like you see on the HMMWV. I will fab a special cap out of fiberglass but it will bemore retangular and not round.

I need a new hood because mine was stomped pretty bad before I got the truck so I have an crappy hood to experiment with!!

AJMBLAZER

Would this work with a regular CUCV 6.2L?

Pondering something like this for my CUCV...those old GM air intakes weren't known for their efficiency.

Is the elbow where it meets the intake manifold a HMMWV part or something you came up with?

Noticed any mpg or performance differences?

85-m1028

I think the dual plane "stock CUCV intake" sits a little tall for this set up, but I'm not sure.

The diamer of the inner circle on the aluminum intake is 6". I used whats called a drainage basin slightly modified for this. I got all the parts from the plumbing dept in Home Depot. the black rubber part is a 4" coupler that I had to strech around the larger diameter of the "drain basin".

They sell 1' x 1' x 1/8" rubber sheets for making gaskets in the plumbing dept as well, I just put some used oil on the 6" diameter part of the drain basin to mark the rubber sheet. I used a utility knife to cut it out and used it to seal the surface between the drain basin and aluminum intake "brownish red in the picture"

I used some "Allthread" and wingnuts to secure it "I don't remember the size, possibly 5/16". cost is about $25 in parts not including the air filter...

Personaly I picked up about 2mpg increase and a little more power in the butt dyno dept. "results may vary"

As far as the sound I couldn't really tell you because I did a lot of other sound proofing at the same time?? but it is quieter!! I do plan to coat it with something in the future...

AJMBLAZER

Cool. Kinda reminds me of what I did on my 350 gas Blazer a few years ago. Used some of the same parts but I had an aftermarket "elbow" that was left over from a friend to start with.