• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LS Engine Swap, why?

jshummer

How about an Ecoboost swap just to irritate the purists? :)
An ecoboost swap would get good gas mileage, still under powered though. 250hp 290tq at the flywheel. So less torque than the 6.2 6.5 im sure less average tq across the power band from the 2.0 Ecoboost even with the turbo. Kits are $6k. You can get a lot of LS power for 6k. These some LSx humvees on youtube along with big blocks. Refurb big blocks at 2500-3500 without even shopping around, just click and ship. 400 ft/lbs and 8mpg.

ToolManTimTaylor

I say Ls 6.2/6L80E unit! But I guess I'm biased to sac-relig swaps lol.

The engine/trans are from a 2009 Cadillac escalade. The Ls is super easy to communicate with hence my Jeep. Everything talks no check lights nothing.

On the Hmmwv it gets even easier. Stand alone opp system , OR get a takeout that A: HAS GAS PEDAL THAT CAME FROM MATCHED DONOR (99.8% of yards know this) B: it's original ECM/Com.

As for cooling .. easy money. I'm for instance using a Camaro SS fan on a triple circuit 52mm radiator. This being jeep has limited space.

Gone are the days of smallblock "running cooler is better " . 200-208 is normal as the ls gets efficient at higher "normal" (I know is goes against all morals) temps and 225 is warm. But on the hummer room for capacity is greater!

A hidden aeroforce gauge keeps tabs on everything and even allows some control.

Now as for tach and Speedo... hmm well there goes mechanical no BIG deal. And see ya later semi emp proofing but hey if you got affected by an emp you got bigger issues to worry about lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gunzy

An ecoboost swap would get good gas mileage, still under powered though. 250hp 290tq at the flywheel. So less torque than the 6.2 6.5 im sure less average tq across the power band from the 2.0 Ecoboost even with the turbo. Kits are $6k. You can get a lot of LS power for 6k. These some LSx humvees on youtube along with big blocks. Refurb big blocks at 2500-3500 without even shopping around, just click and ship. 400 ft/lbs and 8mpg.
I am referring to the 3.5 Ecoboost, 365HP 420 Ft#s stock and a simple programmer will push it up a lot. Plus a serious reduction of weigh. The 3.5 is running over 600HP in the Ford GT.

ToolManTimTaylor

Not the same eco-boost. The Ford Gt and SVT versions are a different Block configuration and deck structure if I remember right from the f150 , Taurus sho, and the like
I am referring to the 3.5 Ecoboost, 365HP 420 Ft#s stock and a simple programmer will push it up a lot. Plus a serious reduction of weigh. The 3.5 is running over 600HP in the Ford GT.
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

saddamsnightmare

June 5th, 2018.

Why do either a Cummins, Chevy or GMC swap?? Me, I'd do a Deutz and get a much better power plant for the money. Just my 2 cents based on the beatings I have seen industrial and marine Deutz's take and keep on running. Plus, if you really want to annoy the neighbors, use an air cooled Deutz, no cooling system to fail in combat......

tage

Yeah combat. Combating the Prius for a parking spot. Hah

Man this thread got out of hand.
A ford ecoboost? Really?

You guys are going to talk of doing a solid axle swap next... Or le gasp hemtt axles.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might as well take body off and put it on another chassis.

jshummer

When i was looking for my M998 I was using search tempest to look all across the country and I saw no less than 5 HMMWV body swaps on to solid axle suburban chassis with 350/454 engines and another 2 kit Humvee aftermarket bodys with 350/454 and solid axles. They were all $6k or less. LS would be my vote. No cooling problems, could sit on the highway all day. After you pay for a $600 smart box and a $1200+ 200amp generator upgrade for the 6.2 you could have any truck LS and a 200amp alternator that’ll do everything the 6.2/6.5 will do and better

Last edited:

drivebymashing

When i was looking for my M998 I was using search tempest to look all across the country and I saw no less than 5 HMMWV body swaps on to solid axle suburban chassis with 350/454 engines and another 2 kit Humvee Bosh’s with 350/454 and solid axles. They were all $6k or less. LS would be my vote. No cooling problems, could sit on the highway all day. After you pay for a $600 smart box and a + $1200 200amp generator upgrade for the 6.2 you could have any truck LS and a 200amp alternator that’ll do everything the 6.2/6.5 will do and better
Totally 100 percent agree

jshummer

I personally wouldn't change anything, the gearing is fine. It's just that if you want to actually drive the M998 like any modern fullsize truck you need another gear, or more RPM on the engine side, and an engine that can cool with electric fans. A LS would do all that for super cheap and get double digit miles per gallon. Perfect for overlanding, expedition, long trips, and cheaper than the diesel cummins or duramax swap. Would 500 ft lbs at 1600 rpm be ideal? Yes. Will it cost more and need more modification? Yes.

350hp/400tq LS swap you need: LS carb swap (700) LS to big block motor mounts (100) flexplate adapter to th400 ($200). Exhaust manifolds and hoses, 12v converter, electric fuel pump, possibly an oil pan that fits junkyard or fleabay, maybe remote oil filter kit. Pretty standard fare off the shelf parts at summit and jegs.

My 1980 Camaro Z28 has a TH350 no overdrive and I thought about LS swapping it. Just don't know if I want to change from original as I drive it the least.

Last edited:

Skrilex

Banned
I recently discovered the Toyota 2JZ engines. I’d put one of those in before any gas v8. They are compact, powerful, vvt, and super cheap lightly used from Japan. Like, 1500$ for a 40k mi engine, ecu, trans, delivered. And that’s a twin turbo EFi engine that’s easy to tune for 450hp all day long, stock internals are good to 800hp. As far as swaps go, I’m not sure why one would seek anything else, at least if they don’t mind a low budget Japanese solution.
Here’s how they look.

Attachments

Last edited:

AOR

I have put LS engines in Jeeps. They are cheap , plentiful and have a ton of aftermarket support. If the 6.5 in my HMMWV takes a dump I would seriously consider an LS swap keeping it fuel injected with a 6l80 trans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks