• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LSSV: 2005 Chevy Crew Cab, Fl to VA and back.

Stonepicker1

I couldn't sleep thinking if these HMMWV tires would work or not.

As you can see in the pictures. They don't.

Plan B: look for some 35"x13.50x 17 tires.

Plan C: look for some 315 x 70 x 16" or something like that.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

I wanted to drive the LSSV to the GA rally. Was getting everything ready for the trip.

I have only put 1 mile on the truck(moving it around in the parking lot at work and 300 ft down the road and back) since I bought it.

I heard some noise before when moving it around, but thought it was the troop seats / scrap metal in the bed.

I was going to drive the truck to a tire store near by. Made it about 3 miles before the noise started and got really bad. Then as I slowed and pulled over to the side of the road. One rear tire locked-up.

Moved the truck from "D" to "R" and it started to move. Went to turn a corner and it was like putting the brakes on. Got it off the road and a lift back to work. Put the LSSV up on my trailer and trailered it back to my work place.

When I got it, the diff / transfer case / trans / and engine were drained of fluids.

I used 70/90w in the diff.

I drained / removed the diff cover and found some metal pieces in the housing.

Looking for a good AMM 11.5 axle or new ring and pinion set with new locker. The $$$$ just keeps climbing.

Attachments

o1951

Looks like it may have been driven a short distance without oil!
If it were mine, I would grumble a lot and check transfer case and trans for metal.
I am cheap, so I would be saving the oil and reinstalling it if it came out clean.

Stonepicker1

I found a used rear axle out of a 2006 2500HD Duramax. It has 123K on it for $375.00

It was a wrecked truck and the guy pulled the axle off the truck on Sat and said it checked out good.

Going to pick it up this Wed just south of Tampa, Fl.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

Spent a little time in the rain this afternoon swapping out the rear axle on the LSSV.

I still have a few things to hook up, bleed the brakes and change the axle fluid also.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Got some new parts today.

The torsion key bolts are bent real bad. Ordered some new one from Merchant Auto ($50).

Replacing the keys also. Had to buy the tool to get the job done right.($290 for keys and tool)

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Just ordered a set of Four, New BF Goodrich All Terrain TA K02 tires from Costco.

35x12.50R17E. at $1,206.20(installed price)

Should have them in about 5 days.

I was thinking of going with 315x75R16E. About $250 cheaper on a set of four. Maybe next time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks