• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LVS MK-48 Ring mount?

Augdog1964

Yeah, I was going to bid, but a trailer alone in Barstow coming to Indiana... that seemed like a major hassle and bill... !! LOL!
If one shows in Albany, Jacksonville or PA, I'll be all over it... I really don't care for the Mk14 trailer.

paradeduty

Hey there Ryan -

The hard part about the Ring Mount system on the LVS (as far as I know) is not so much the M66 Ring Mount itself, which is almost itentical to the system for the HEMTT's, but rather the roof hatch system for the passenger side of the LVS. I believe that these were unique to the Marines' LVS only. Where the HEMTT Roof Adapter was basically a simple round opening in a flat roof plate adapter, the system for the LVS was a sliding panel which slid over to the driver's side for access to the ring mount from inside. Stuart in Washington State could chime in here as I think Damon (who did much of the restoration of the one that Stuart has) actually adapted an LVS unit to the HEMTT cab as Damon (as well as I) think it was a little bit (however more complicated) better system. An open HEMTT system could always be grafted into the removable roof panel on the LVS. When I get mine installed on my M985 and my PLS, I am going to have a removable, 2-piece hardcover (aluminum?) made for them. Originally, the HEMTT's just came with an elastic bordered, OD Vinyl cover that went over the opening.

Dave

Last edited:

Augdog1964

Believe it or not, I found a ring mount and legs yesterday, and bought it. I will now need the roof panel, or a HEMMT roof panel for adapting to the Mk48. Anyone have either?

paradeduty

Hey Autodog!

Good for you on the ring mount find. Is the set specifically for the LVS, or is it for the HEMTT?? Just curious if the leg for the rear of the ring mount (two in front, one in rear) is the same as that for the HEMTT. Post a picture of the legs and we can compare notes. Feels just like a treasure hunt!

Augdog1964

Yes, it has three legs, and the very RARE pics I can find on the net of the LVS ring mount, it is the same as the HEMTT. The big difference is the roof hatch assembly... now to find it, or adapt a HEMTT setup.

sandcobra164

I'll try to remember to take my camera to work on Monday. We have some 48's with ring mounts but they are armored cabs. There may be some differences but they could provide some clues.

Augdog1964

Awesome... if you can I'd REALLY be interested in the roof assembly too... and how it is put on and works! I'd REALLY appreciate it... I HAVE to find a roof panel for the Mk48 assembly now... and instructions for installation.

Stalwart

Dave is correct, we have the LVS sliding roof over the passenger seat and the ring mount. I much prefer the sliding roof to the simple HEMTT plug, with the army unit there was no good place to secure the plug once removed.

paradeduty

Hey Stuart!!!

How was your Christmas and New Year? Hope all is well with the family.

Did the HEMTT roof adapter have an optional "hard cover"? I have only seen the vinyl/elastic cover. I was thinking of having some 2 piece covers made out of aluminum, but time will tell. I still have to find the "gunner's platform" to be really complete. I think they fold down from a piano hinge on the doghouse. Have not seen any pictures of the assembly yet.

Augdog1964

Whoa! Is there a gunner's platform on the Mk48?

Stalwart, I'd LOVE to see some pics of your Mk48 ring mount, its installation, and the roof setup... I may end up having to fab it.

Fun stuff!

Stalwart

Thanks Dave, everything went well this season, hope your's was the same.

I never had the HEMTT cab with the stock hole and cover, Damon had done that modification before we bought it. Since we have non standard high back air ride seats the platform won't work in our truck anyway. I'll see about getting some pictures in the next few days, the garage is colder than it is outside and it is currently freezing.

sandcobra164

Augdog,
Pics attached. To operate it, you push up, rather hard I might add, and slide it over the driver's side. It bolts in pretty easy and the roof panel itself rides on a pair of rails. I had mentioned that it might be an armored cab truck. I found only one with a mount and it was an unarmored truck and this was out of a lot of probably 300 of them. I think you'll find all your answers in the next couple of posts.

Attachments

sandcobra164

Last unless someone requests something specific. I'm more than happy to help even if I am a bit jealous ya'll have these types of trucks!!!:driver:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks