• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1008 Plowing (Vid)

cpf240

Did Western have a mount for the truck? Was it bolt up or did you need some mods?
I'm curious about this as well. Not just with this particular plow, but in general. I now live in an area that may get snow on occasion, and being able to plow it myself is desirable. However, I'm not too keen on adding more holes, etc. to the truck. I might have to buy another CUCV to dedicate to the task... hmm.... :clinto:

mijon

My specific plow is called a Unimount. This is wear the pump and blade are one unit. The only thing you need is to wield separate mount to the frame of your truck (female part) so the male part (pump and plow) can slide in together. Wielding the female part to your truck Isn't that hard to figure out. When you buy a blade at least here in Michigan the female mount part comes with the purchase. Look in my profile pick you'll see two sleeves coming out from underneath my truck. That's the female part. Once you wield this female mount (2 sleeves with a gross beam holding them together) to the frame of your truck, you can drive right up to the male part of the truck. They lock right in. The hard part is setting up your own wiring. When you buy the blade the previous owner should provide you the female part of the mount, wiring harness, and controller for the plow. Wiring is a nightmare if you don't know what your doing. If you good with wiring its a synch. But if your not, I would suggest having someone hook that up for ya.

Now the older blades have the pump, female mount, lighting, etc all wielded together onto the truck. This is something that you wouldn't be interested in CPF240. So the only thing you can take off is the blade everything else stays on. The unimount system is defently worth paying the extra bucks. You can find an older unimount for around 1500.

Does this help? Anymore questions??

rickf

We run Western 8' Pro plows on several CUCV's and the mount comes complete and ready to bolt on. They do not weld on. Remember that this truck is the same as a one ton Chevy pick up so you just order the plow for that year truck. Sometimes the braces for the D rings will be in the way, you can either modify the plow mount or remove the braces. I removed the braces. The main problem I run into is the fact that you have a 100 amp alternator being driven by one belt. The plow will draw a LOT of power so the belt will burn at times. Add to that the snow blowing back into the grill as you saw in the video and that just makes the belt slip more. Carry spare belts and the tools to change them.

nyoffroad

Do NOT weld the plow frame to your truck frame!! Thats why god invented grade 8 bolts! I've got an old Western set up on my M1008 and I had that same plow (mount and all) on 2 Blazers a half ton PU and a 1ton before the CUCV. Its an old TEE handle cable operorated unit with a 8' blade and will(and has) move lots of snow.
To fast?? It's his truck/plow and street, he knows we don't. I saw a plow come into the shop one day that had a good 10" bow in it and the trucks frame was shoved up and kinked. Seemed the guy was in a hurry and hit a manhole.

rickf

I have one right now that I saw this morning on the truck. They took it off against the wall in the barn and did not say anything. Looks like someone took a can opener to it, dead center just above the cutting edge. You old plow guys already know what happened here just as I do but the driver "knows nothing". I have heard that he going to fast and slid into another one of the other plows head on. The leading edge of the other plow cut right through the moldboard. These are not bulldozer blades. I will try to get some pics when I drag it away from the wall.
This is not a reflection on the O/P, just to point out that it is a snow pusher and not a bulldozer. They are not as tough as you might think.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a word of caution for all snowplow operators. Watch where you are operating and be totally aware of your surroundings.

A husband and his pregnant wife where at a grocery store during the east coast snow storm. A guy clearing the parking lot ran over the wife. After delivering the baby by C-section the wife died. The baby was in critical condition. I wonder who will be paying that insurance claim.