• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 52 series doing Rail duty

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Saw this truck the other day and I thought you all would like to see the mods done to it by the Maintenance Depot at Camp Carroll in Waegon, Korea

The one picture from a commercial truck I snapped because of the neat way they had used to keep the lugnuts tight.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: M800 series doing Rail duty

Looks to be a M39-series instead of a M809-series. Maybe a M52? Those are the old-style composites too. I do like the homemade rail wheels. Very crafty! I bet they have to lay the sand the tracks when they are pushing cars in the rain or snow.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

wow :shock:

That's pretty nifty

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Very cool. Those lug nut tightener things, how do you get the lug nuts off? Seems to me if they prevent the nuts from spinning, then taking them off would be a pain too.

Elwenil

You pop the ring off then take the lugs off. More of a pain to put back on since you have to turn them just right to get the ring on. I've also seen some that have safety wire on them.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I think the band was just put on there with a banding machine and you would cut it off and then use the bander to put a new one on when you are done with the work.

You are right I think about it being an M 52 series my bad and I changed the topic

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

That is very cool! Ever since my dad told me of a Ford Falcon that they(when he worked for the railway) converted to ride on the rails, I have thought (dreamed) of converting a vehicle of my own to run on the rails. Of course the idea of having my own rail line will probably never happen. I had never thought of converting a MV to run the rails! David, that picture of you on the truck is priceless! It looks like your a"pin-up boy"(your pose), the ladies would buy that calender! Thanks

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Re: RE: M800 series doing Rail duty

Those pics are great. Must be a kick in the pants to drive...wait...you can't steer it. I wonder how well it works on the tracks...would be a kick in the pants to operate!

OD_Coyote

Re: RE: M800 series doing Rail duty

redass73 said:
bet that thing is slow..
It probably is slow, but faster than the Willys MB they converted for rail use in WW II.
IIRC - The Willys was tasked with moving a 20 ton consist.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: One from the Korean War

wonder if I could have a custom set of Deuce wheels made up like that?I would love to take my deuce on a NARCOA trip....

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: M800 series doing Rail duty

mangus580 said:
Ferro is gonna love this one!! [thumbzup]
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: You are so right Mangus!

That is exactly what I'm going to do to my duece one day, at least with temp rims set up so I can put it on and take it off. Freight Train, I worked it out, if you put the rims on the inside of the rear wheels without rubber or the snap ring they will ride at the right distance. The front you would have to do some steping down or hub flip to get the right track gauge. David, thanks alot for the pics, that one from the 50's has been my desktop for awhile now, sort of insperation.

I'll have to take some photos of my rail vehicle and post them now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks