• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-820 questions

qonos

I just bought an M-820 for trips to Alaska when I retire in a few years. I hate to even think of doing this, but the cab is as small as a deuce cab, and I'm thinking of taking the spare tire holder off and extending the cab so I can drive it comfortably. Any ideas? Thanks. And a special thanks to Wehring, who I met in Az while he was on his way home with his new toy. He recommended the site to me, so thank you!

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Not only is the cab on the 800 series as small as a deuce cab, it IS a deuce cab. Or a deuce has a 5 ton cab, however you want to see it. Making a extended cab truck is just a exercise in sheet metal fabrication, build it to suit your needs. There are several posts here on 4 door cab conversions.

Glad you got to meet Justin, he's a great person with a lot of guts to drive a 5 ton halfway across the US!

qonos

With the expando box on it, I can only go back a little more than a foot, so four doors is out. I just want it back enough that I'm not trying to wrap my knees around the steering wheel to clutch and brake.

Justin seems to be the adventurous type! I bought mine from Florida and had considered driving it back, but I found a trucking company that did it for several hundred less than it would have cost me in fuel and lost wages, so I went that route.

Thanks for the info. I thought about either sheet metal or fiberglass. Haven't decided which yet.