• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M.A.N truck parts needed for restoration

tcody

Well I am finally getting around to prepare to get the M.A.N truck fixed up. There must have been a s..t load of parts for these trucks that were dumped when the trucks were. If anyone has anything for the M.A.N collecting dust I sure would appreciate it!
Regards

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
hi, im just now getting the xm977 home, good luck on the M.A.N.

Sarge

MAN parts (hee hee)

Thane, you are right, we did turn in tons of parts for those trucks when Uncle Ronny and Gorby bargained the GLCM Tomahawks into the trash can. The bad news is that that was almost 20 years ago. I'm sure that 99% of the parts have rusted away or been melted down. The good news is that a couple of fella's in England and Germany rescued some of the trucks. Out of the M1001, M1002, M1003, M1013 and M1014, you will mostly find M1001's in civilian hands. However, the basic platform lives on in Germany as the 5 ton 4x4, the 7 ton 6x6 and the 10 and 15 ton 8x8's. You know that they were also subdivided into KAT A1's and KAT A2's. If you have an ex-US model with a liquid cooled V10, then you have a KAT A2. Lots of parts show up on the German version of E-Bay, but no-one is willing to ship pallets of stuff, it's too much trouble. I get over there (England and Germany) almost every year, perhaps I could look for stuff.
I have all of the KAT A1 manuals in German in pdf format, which, after 8,000 sheets of paper, I now have in binders. I guess I'm old fashioned.
Anyhoo, because everybody loves photo's, I have attached 5.
Photo 1 shows a civilian owned MAN M1001 KAT A2 in the UK.
Photo 2 shows an M1003 in a Texas junkyard (cannot remember where)
Photo 3 shows a civilian owned MAN M1001 KAT A2 in the UK.
Photo 4 shows an M1001 pulling an LCC (Static display Pima Air Museum, AZ)
Photo 5 shows an M1001 pulling 4 nukes in a TEL (Static display, Pima Air Museum AZ)
Enjoy!

Attachments

Sarge

Rats to the photo order!

I still cannot understand the order of the photo's!!!
Of course, I posted them all in reverse order!
Rats rats rats!

TacticalTruck

I sold mine, I was afraid something would break and I'd have to send my first born to Germany to pay for parts. Mine needed a new fuel solenoid (about as big as a cigarette pack) and they told me it wasn't available but if it was it'd be $3500. It was the nicest driving military vehicle I've ever driven. One day I'd like to replace it with a HEMTTwhere surplus parts are available. The official MAN importer is down in FLA.
Jeff

JDToumanian

I still cannot understand the order of the photo's!!!
Of course, I posted them all in reverse order!
Rats rats rats!
Always upload pics in the order you want them to appear... When you preview them, the pics will appear backwards but don't worry, they will be correct when you submit the post.

Regards,
Jon

Sarge

Jon, thank you! That is exactly what happened. When I previewed them, they were backwards, so I changed all of the descriptions. I was not a happy camper when they all displayed in the opposite order.
Bjorn, thanks for the M1002 photo. Because it is a wrecker, it is a lot more rare than the M1001.
Jeff, I drove all 5 US MAN models around Europe, and you are absolutely correct, it is a sweet driving truck. On road it is almost as comfortable as any over the road hauler, but off road, it goes where Humvees and HEMTT's fear to tread. Sometimes the German's do get it right, witness the Unimog.
I know that the spare parts are horrifically expensive, unless you keep a close eye on the German E-Bay. many of the spare parts are unique to this vehicle series, the German Bundeswehr (military) kept enormous stocks. The German dealers sell the parts relatively cheaply, because who the hell wants them? Another tidbit, there is a military manuals dealer on the US E-bay, I think his name is Milman61, he has the -30 and the -10 for sale, brand new, unused. The dash 30 is very basic but better than nothing. Operation of the MAN's is a little unusual, especially the manual transmission with the torque converter on the front. The dash 10 will explain it pretty well. It feels weird to shift into 3rd when stopped, keeping your right foot on the brake and letting the clutch slowly up. Then letting the brake go. But hey, that's the correct way to drive them. No low range on them, that's what 1st and 2nd are for. When you off road them, you electricaly operate the air pistons to lock up the center diff and all axles. Whoo-hoo! Who said that my memory is shot? Now where did I put my glasses?
Thane, the end result will be worth your effort.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sarge: I wonder why you say that the MAN truck can go where a HEMTT fears to tread? I've never driven a MAN, but I have put quite a few miles on a HEMTT...although almost all of them have been on roads. I have spoken to guys in the military and everyone of them can't say enough good things about a HEMTT going almost any where. One guy even told me he tried to stick his truck, but could not do it. I am not suggesting that I think a HEMTT is a better off-road vehicle than a MAN. I am just wondering why you feel the reverse is true. Could it be because you own one? Possibly...we are all partial toward the vehicles that we own and rightfully so. The HEMTT has air lockers on each axle. I can't imagine that the MAN can top that without chains. John Winslow owned a MAN and told me that the HEMTT was much more user friendly and the Allison tranny was a much nicer design. Awaiting your response...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way, I am not saying you own a MAN. I was pointing out why I am partial towards the HEMTT...because I own one!

Sarge

Hello Bruce! You know, I wouldn’t have been surprised to receive replies from Humvee owners; “My Humvee can leap tall buildings in a single bound”, that kind of thing. I was surprised to get a reply from one of the world’s very few HEMTT owners.
Anyhoo, here’s a rather long and boring explanation of the comment “where Humvee’s and HEMTT’s fear to tread”.
Let me tell you about a couple of my personal experiences. To begin, I want to say that I drove vehicles in the military with reckless abandon. Almost. If you were convicted (actually court-martialed) for willful destruction of government property, the maximum fine was one month’s base pay. Back then, a $1200 fine would have really hurt, but it wasn’t that much of a deterrent. Today, being the owner of several private military vehicles, I tread a bit more softly. Any damage whatsoever and I am 100% liable and must do the repair work myself to boot.
Back to my personal experience. I have stuck too many Humvee’s to count. They are fantastic off-road vehicles, but more than 18 inches of mud and you are not going anywhere. Ours were equipped with good winches and amazing foldable land anchors. I forget the correct name for the anchors, but they were worth their weight in gold. Please don’t take that literally. Luckily, Humvees are fairly flat bottomed, so you can drag them across deep mud without them sticking any worse.
I have also stuck a MAN and a HEMMT (and deuces and 5-tons and pretty much everything else) I was stationed in Germany for much of my career. It rains about 300 days a year so maneuver areas were always swampy. When I stuck the MAN it took me a very long time of back and forth until it finally got up enough speed to jump out of the ruts. The HEMMT was a different story. Yes, all the axles locked, but that just got me in deeper. I know that when you are in a hole, stop digging, however the mud was past the pumpkins and my boots were shiny. Luckily it was a HEMMT wrecker (perhaps the weight is why I got stuck) so it had a ginormous winch on it. Germany is a very heavily forested country. Tip # 1, do not attach your winch cable to a pine tree, the roots are not deep enough. The pine tree will hit you and the Germans will hate you. Apparently, the Germans own the trees even on American maneuver areas. Look for a deciduous tree, an oak is a safe bet. Tip # 2, after pulling said HEMTT out of the mud, do not take any more ‘shortcuts’ and get it stuck a second time. What a moron!
My punishment fit the crime. The Colonel told me to report Saturday morning to clean the HEMTT. Washing a stuck Humvee was simple, pick it up with the 22K forklift above your head and pressure wash the heck out of it. We had nothing that could pick up a HEMTT, so I spent two days underneath it. It was below freezing that weekend and the mud had solidified to almost rock. I was soaked and freezing for two days. To add insult to injury, the Polizei attached to the base MP’s stopped by on Sunday and gave me a ticket for pressure washing without a mud/water separator pit. WTF?
The moral of this story?
“The MAN will go places that Humvee’s and ME driving HEMTT’s fear to tread”
My personal experience was so nasty that it put me off driving HEMTT’s in the mud.
As you can see, most of the story just shows what an idiot I happen to be, not that HEMTT’s are not capable.
As far as your comments go, yeah, a HEMMT transmission is a whole lot easier to operate. Quite a few of our troops did not qualify to drive the MAN, simply because they did not ‘get the hang’ of the transmission.
Bet you don’t know too many people who’ve stuck a MAN and a HEMTT?
Now it’s time for me to get personal about your HEMTT. I have seen photo’s of it and I lust after it. My plan is to win the lottery and come to visit you. I will leave with your HEMTT and you will get a check far in excess of what you paid plus the work you put into it. Ahhh…. One can still dream…..
And so the bottom line is……
I want your HEMTT!!!!
(Does that sound like someone who doesn’t like HEMTT’s?)

Sarge

land anchor name

YES! Pull-pal was the name.
They are fantastic!
I would never seriously off-road without one, unless there were lots of non-German trees available to hook to.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sarge: Stop by anytime and put the HEMTT through its paces. I would love to hear, first hand, about the truck and its nuiances. To be truthful, I hope never to sell the truck, but I do have a guy (actually owns a company that does work for the military) who is after it...hard core! I would hate to see the truck leave, but I could never turn down the right amount of $$$...my wife would never let me! :D

Let me say that I very much admire the MAN trucks. I almost bought the one that Winslow used to own...but I never went to look at it. I was told I could have it (a tractor) for like $12K. I did not believe that amount so I never went to talk to the owner. Wouldn't you know that it sold for sightly more than that!!!! Worst of all, it was in MD...what an idiot I am.

abh3

So is the consensus that M1001 parts are very difficult to find and outrageously expensive when they are located?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks