• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M.A.N truck parts needed for restoration

tcody

Does that truck a manual or automatic transmission?
It's a semi-auto ZF 8 speed transmission with a WSK torque convertor up front. They are great trucks, but very expensive to maintain and a lot of obsolete stuff that is NA or can't be serviced here. Just went through my M1002 stem to stern. Rebuild kit for the motor (major out of frame) 17K for parts alone - 29K with labor for someone else to do the machine work and assembly with you doing the removal and putting it back in. Transmission - 22K for overhaul. Lots of parts NA - so id you need a new clutch you have to change over to a newer style. Hydraulic pump - NA; no service in the USA. Sheet metal - NA. Parts - 4 months turnaround if available!!! I still think they are a lot of fun and am starting this Summer on a M1013. If anyone has parts, spares, trucks etc.. Let me know. It's an addiction now!!! Hope to have all 4 of the series one day.

Attachments

Last edited:

dma251

I really like the look of these and would love to check on out and see how it compared to the hemtt. After seeing how resourceful you have to be to get hemtt stuff, I think I 'll stick with the American steel, though. It sounds like that would be a very expensive rig to put together and keep together.

Sure would like to check one out though. Anyone have any idea of the power/performance, unladen driving aspect? How do these babies accelerate?

tcody

I really like the look of these and would love to check on out and see how it compared to the hemtt. After seeing how resourceful you have to be to get hemtt stuff, I think I 'll stick with the American steel, though. It sounds like that would be a very expensive rig to put together and keep together.

Sure would like to check one out though. Anyone have any idea of the power/performance, unladen driving aspect? How do these babies accelerate?
Hey - anytime you are in the area there is an open invitation to come by. I have never licensed the M1002 so I am not really sure of what it can do on or off road. I am a little afraid to break something. The M1014 is going to be a driver, so once it is on the road we will have to get the trucks together. I suspect the HEMTT has a little more grunt. The 2840 V10 is only 365HP 900 FtLbs. From the limited time I have driven the MAN off road around the farm I think the spring suspension does a good job.
Cheers
tcody

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Sounds pretty nice to me 365hp and 900ft-lbs of torque cannot be all bad. I mean it is a little underpowered but it isn't grossly underpowered like the standards of the NHC-250 or LDT-465 is in the M809 or M35 trucks. It seems like a nice truck... I wouldn't mind one. But I would like a 10sp manual tranny...

abh3

I think you may find some complete trucks up for auction now.
Exactalackly and they are in my backyard basically. AND I actually have use for a big tractor with winches/crane pulling a lowboy moving our heavy equipment... But my Ford LN9000 w/Cat, 9 spd and 40k winch is pretty reliable and easy to find parts for, the M1001 is another thing altogether!

tcody

Unfortunately GL prices seem to be well over market. Last ones went for 26.5K for non runners. 10-12K is what they fetch in the real world - which is a fair price. We'll see what happens. If anyone gets one and needs help let me know.

abh3

WOW!!! I'm out of this race, already one is at $14,833 and the other (w Winches) is $13,833 and the sale doesn't close until tom. afternoon... It'll be fun to watch the rest of the auction!

tcody

Well gee wiz!!!!! I've got a fixer upper crane truck I would be happy to part with for 39K!!! Won't even charge a 10% fee......

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was one on GL at Eglin AFB that just ended today. I had it on my watch list and the last figure I saw I believe was around $50k. Lots of rust through on the cab as you could expect from FL. As someone said earlier, I'd prefer a HEMTT for a little additonal cash.

Last edited:

abh3

Crane $39500.00
Winch $26500.00
Are those the ending prices? I was a bidder on both but, in the usual GL fashion, the lots don't show up in my watchlist/bid history now, LOL!!! It's a tight ship they run... :razz:

UPDATE: GL says bid history for EUC items is only available to the winning bidder!!! But I've looked at plenty of bid history of EUC things I didn't win, mostly Deuces. I become more anti-GL with every sale I participate in...

Last edited:

wlmullin

Here is the MAN version that was used when Pershing 2 was fielded. It replaced the XM757 and P1A, ca 1983.
Note the fifth wheel and it also has a crane. The crane was previously mounted on the missile erector launcher trailer.
This is a photo I took of my MAN at Ft. Sill. Bjorn, did you get
this from the Pershing site?

wlmullin

I pulled the Pershing II with both tractors. The MAN was a much better
vehicle. The HEMMT had a better engine brake (Jacobs). The MAN was
better suited for off road because of the suspension and the capability
to transfer power to any of the 4 axles. The Detroit in the HEMMT was
good for long hauls, but the trans was a few gears short to suit my tastes.
I'd like to have either one in any configuration to roam these hills here
in Kentucky.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks