• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M model?

appalacious

Hey guys, newbie here.
I just got an 86 CUCV from gov't auction. But I have no idea if its M1008 or M1009. How do you tell? I have the VIN number if that would help. Also, theres no key switch and I'd like to just install a push-button start. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have a wiring diagram? Thanks in advance. Here's a pic.
J

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
appalacious,
What BFR said was correct. Perhaps a slight modification is M1008, think PICKUP truck.

Welcome to our Green Iron family.

You just gotta get us some more pix. I am also looking for a nice M1009 to replace my Suburban that I just sold to my sister and BIL.

So, you gotta take more pic AND provide us with more details. WE LOVE DETAILS.

Again, welcome to the Green Iron Disease!! You know this will only be the start. I got a deuce first. NOW I just gotta have an M1009!!

jim

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
appalacious,
I've got the M35 wiring diagram that's posted here somewhere. If you want it, send me an email. It's an Adobe PDF file and not that large.

Oh, the start switch for the deuce is only two wires. I ASSUME (I know, I know) that its just a simple open and it doesn't send any juice to the starter, closed and it sends 24v to starter, though I did NOT trace it all the way down to the starter.

jim

mangus580

appalacious, all the wiring diagrams for the blazer are in the TM section. Why not just replace the factory ignition switch though?

appalacious

I've never done it before! I don't know, I just get intimidated by "pullers" and "jigs." The only other experience I've had with those was on my yamaha xs650 alternator, but thats a horror story for another day. I guess steering wheels don't have yards and yards of cracking, brittle coil wire that can spontaneously unravel do they? Maybe I'll give it a try, but I thought it'd be cool to have a push-button start anyway. How did they operate in the field? With a key or just a switch? By the way, I couldn't immediately find a wiring diagram for the m1009 in the TM section. Which file is it?
J

mangus580

I cant remember which file exactly it is, Use the search link on the left, and type in M1009 a few TM's will pop up, I think its "Intermediate" support.

they used keys in the field.

ida34

Is the switch bad or is the "lock cylinder" bad. The switch is mounted lower on the column and can be accessed by dropping the column down. No steering wheel removal is needed. The lock cylinder is where the key goes and this is what alot of people mistakenly call the ignition switch. The lock cylinder is connected by a rod down the column to the actual ignition switch. Even if you have to replace the lock cylinder it can be done without taking apart the column or taking off the steering wheel. You just put it in the unlock position then release a small pin by pushing a small punch through a small hole in the column. It has been a while since I have worked on a GM column but this should be about what is involved. The only time the wheel needs to be removed and the column taken apart is if something in the column is messed up. The lock cylinder turnes a small rack and pinion that pushes and pulls the rod that connects to the ignition switch.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck is almost right. There are to retention methods on the lock cylinder in the CUCV. 1 has a tab that you need to depress with a butter knife or the like, the second one is a bolt. The cylinders themselves are usually interchangeable.The steeering wheel will need to come off to get to the plunger or the bolt but its not bad. A cheap bolt grip puller takes care of the wheel and a lock plate tool enables you to get the lock ring off the lock plate. Once the lockplate is off its very easy. Once again nobody lives nearby here, I've got the stuff to do the job.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've replaced SEVERAL steering wheels with custom wheels over the years. So many in fact that I purchased a puller. You don't have to purchase one, as MOST auto parts stores will loan you one.

Pulling the wheel is a snap. About the hardest part is actually finding the screws to release the front of the horn assembly. Generally three to five screws in the back of the wheel. DISCONNECT the battery before you start so you don't 'surprise' yourself (24v CAN bring things in clear perspective).

Once you have removed the horn covering, you will be looking at a large nut attaching the wheel to the steering column. Remove the nut. You should now have the wheel puller ready to use. Generally there will be two or more places to screw bolts from the puller into the wheel. Then put the middle bolt against the large threaded bolt that you removed the nut from. Turn the middle bolt and the steering wheel will GRADUALLY be 'pulled' from the column.

NOTE - It is best to get the wheels of your vehicle as straight as possible so that when you put the wheel back on, it will be in the normal position when the wheels are straight. And to get the wheel back on, just push it back on (a little ways) and then put the nut back in place and tighten it down. This will pull the wheel back in place.

IT REALLY IS EASY. HONEST INJUN.

jim

Last edited:

ida34

Almost right is like being almost a lottery winner. Like I said it has been a few years. I just did a column change on my Ford I was like I explained. I had forgotten about the bolt on the chevys. I also went out to get a lockplate tool and the ford does not have one. It is built into the steering wheel. I hope to get a cucv soon then all the stuff will come back to me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVs are cool. Like to have another but its hard enough to keep 2 deuces fed and happy.

Armada

I just pulled my column apart and cleaned, lubed, and replaced the standard lock cyl. with a civvy one. It's not bad. Just take your time and don't force anything.

IBEZKUM

This is how I start my 74 civvy chevy, It's been like this for three years.
It was also handy to test the switch for my m-1008, Their the same.
just lower the column, Loosen the nuts, don't remove them, for support.
Be careful, Shift Indicator cable, Remove I THINK 1 nut 1 bolt, 10mm small wrench.
Untangle the wires and get it hangin, tighten the column nuts Don't pinch any wires!!!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks