• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M model?

IBEZKUM

Yes to both,, That switch is The ignition switch,,
Mounted on the Lower column, Operated by a rod
From the key lock set. The rods bend & break
I was stuck in two feet of snow tryin to get home,
When mine let go,, Lucky I had some tools.
That truck never stalls, and always starts so I left it that way.
You put the screwdriver, in the slot where the rod goes,
There are four positions acc, off, on and start.
How do you start it now????

rdixiemiller

Darn, I was in Albany yesterday, I could have dropped by and pulled the wheel.
Very easy job. You can buy the puller for around 10 bux at any parts store that sells custom steering wheels.

appalacious

I bought the puller. Buy my crazy head had to have a pushbutton start. I dropped the column (a little) and pulled off the ignition switch. Now I'm just trying to map the leads to the various switch states. Everything's going pretty smooth so far. I'm gettin pretty pumped.
J

rdixiemiller

You can use the key to turn the ignition on, then use a pushbutton to engage the starter. That gives you the pushbutton you want, and the security of a key.
If I get down that way anytime soon, I'll take you up on the offer of a brewski, as long as it is the NA type
(a long ago promise to my adopted daughter, no alcohol)

appalacious

Hey I understand. I actually brew my own beer. And by my dad's request I may have to try to brew a NA batch. I think it would work, just take brewing like normal, then distilling off the alcohol, then kegging with CO2, then bottling. Plus I might get some whiskey out of the deal!

The plan right now is to mount a Brinks case in the floorboard and put the switches in the case. Then I have a key for the case that reveals the switches. Plus added bonus of having a lockable case for other valuables.

I finished mapping the switch tonight, now I need to shop for switches. I got some from Radioshack, but that store just ain't what it used to be. I'll probably take those back and get something from the internet.
J

Blackfoot

I think I bought the M1009 with a steering wheel that they tested Super Glue on... I broke two pullers, 2 mechanics tried, no luck, then tried two different body shops... they each broke a puller. End of the day, my steering wheel is still on, I am starting it with a screw driver (1/2" drill bit will remove all those pesky tumblers) and now need a steering column to replace the shaft that is so screwed up that even if I could get the steering wheel off, I couldn't tighten it back down.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for my info, can you describe what type of puller they were using? FWIW, once you get a good amount of pull on the shaft with the puller, a sharp rap on the puller shaft with a hammer will pop it loose.