• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1007 Suburban CUCV Conversion

MILRET45

If anyone wants the start of a '1007' project I have a 3/4, 6.2 that I have already done the 1008 grille guard, shackle mount points and pintle hitch set up. It's a bench seat truck going in and has an a/c system but one of the lines was worn through and I never repaired it.

The truck has fair rubber, Cooper Discover, and needs new batteries which I can handle. It has a manual tailgate ala 1009 but rear glass is out and the latch is jammed. It's one project too many for me to finish. Truck is about 80 miles SE of San Antonio.

Can't get pictures before this weekend. PM me if anyone interested.

13F10

Quick question, I got a Civy version of the M1007, and am looking to put some Hmmwv tires and rims on it, does anyone know if they're the same bolt pattern:?: And if so, does anyone have a set of 4 including Hmmwv tires cheap:?:

I can't reiterate the IMPORTANCE OF CHEAP.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The HMMWV rolling stock are the same bolt pattern but will require wheel re-centering or spacers due to the 7" backspacing. Sometimes you can find them cheap, more often than not, you wont unless you go for the 8 bolt rims with bias tires.

niferous

If anyone wants the start of a '1007' project I have a 3/4, 6.2 that I have already done the 1008 grille guard, shackle mount points and pintle hitch set up. It's a bench seat truck going in and has an a/c system but one of the lines was worn through and I never repaired it.

The truck has fair rubber, Cooper Discover, and needs new batteries which I can handle. It has a manual tailgate ala 1009 but rear glass is out and the latch is jammed. It's one project too many for me to finish. Truck is about 80 miles SE of San Antonio.

Can't get pictures before this weekend. PM me if anyone interested.
Old post I know... BUUTTTT PM sent about your Suburban. I am in Houston.

WARWAG

HEY RICKYODAY,
You can fix the lowbeam/high beam problem with a simple relay instalation, using the high beam circuit to turn the relay on or off (ie control circuit). routing power from the factory harness through the "controlled" circuit to the apprpriate tab on the headlights. EASY fix

rlwm211

my m1007

Here is my 91 Suburban that needed paint so instead of the automotive paint route I went with 3 coilor camo and followed the CUCV pattern for the most part. I found some steel wheels and then some aggressive mud and snows. I am an amateur radio operator so I have 3 radios in the truck and use low profile antennas because the tall antennas get all banged up by trees and such. I live in Upstate NY but I bought the truck from a seller in CA so it has little rust.

RL

Attachments

Rickyoday

Once I get a new digital camera, I'll post the latest Pics of my M1007. I've got so much 'gear' in her, that I can hardly carry any cargo.
Thanks for all the compliments guys!
Rick

Preacherboy

I am currently looking for a suburban to do this with (once I convince the wife) since we can't afford a H1 hummer which is what she wants.

Do you have a functioning 24 volt slave cable jumper port? If you do, how did you do it?

Also, I do not want to put a lift on the truck, but I like the michelin 9r16 tires would they fit (w/o the lift), any ideas?

Also, something I'm not sure about, do the 3/4 ton burbs have 16.5" rims?

Last edited:

rlwm211

I have 235r85-16 on my suburban and it sits very high off the ground and with the mud n snows it goes pretty much anywhere I care to go. I am not sure I would want to lift a 3/4 ton simply because I wanted the cargo capacity it has along with the towiing capacity so I did not mess with it. The older style suburbans (with the same body style as the CUCV's) sit higher than the newer ones anyways. One suggestion is barn doors. I would not own another suburban without them.
You can get 8 lug 16.5 wheels to fit the suburban. I am pretty sure the CUCV's came with the same size I am using but if you want the 16,5 inch tires, go for it. I am not sure which tires are taller. 16 or 16.5.

I do not have a functioning 24 volt slave port, and do not contemplate adding one. That is the one feature that the CUCV's seem to have difficulty with, a.k.a. the two alternators. I cannot see any reason to go there if it is not necessary.\

RL

Last edited:

Preacherboy

the burb I'm looking at is a '88 3/4 ton with the 6.2 diesel. Now I just need to find the correct bumpers and grill guard.

the 235/85r 16's will probably be a tall enough tire.

stocksj

Really nice Suburan. I didn't know they came with diesel. I'm wanting a M1008 pickup but the M1009 Blazers are easier to find. I might go that route one day.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks