• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 1009 differentials

I have the proper manuals but navigating and finding what im looking for is becoming a pain in my arse.

Im wondering what the torque specs are for the front and rear diff covers. Doing basic maintenance and oil change.

Later... new suspension parts installation. :D

Found the trans pan specs. 144in lbs or 12ft lbs

cucvrus

17 ft lbs on 5/16" M1009
23 ft lbs on 3/8" M1008/M1028/M1031/M1010 5/4 ton trucks
Or do like I do tighten them up and move on. I never torqued a differential cover.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1009 & M1008, TM says 35 ftlbs for the front and rear dif cover bolts.

It's in the -34 TM, under axles.

Last edited:

cucvrus

There you have it. What do I know I was looking a Fastenal bolt torque poster I have in my shop. I would not torque a 5/16" to 35 lbs. But if you read it on the internet and in a book it must be true. I will get back to my Marlboro's. And if you knew the answer why did you wait for me to get home to answer it? D-

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
35 ft/lbs sounds high to me.

Yea it sounded high to me too. But given they didn't want to come off. I don't think they had ever been serviced. I expect the 4wd line to be good. The front diff oil was spotless. The rear was not. Lol to put it lightly. All functions fine tho. Everything a ok.

Cucvrus. Love the name by the way. Im just wondering what you ment by 5/16 and 3/8. Is it the lug size or diff cover bolt size? Dont mean to get anyone in a fuss lol

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tighten it up without trying to break it off and move on.

I agree with fLU & CUCVRUS
Ive never torqued a cover either.

Also agree with DH that 35ft/lbs seems high.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks