• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 1009 differentials

I have the proper manuals but navigating and finding what im looking for is becoming a pain in my arse.

Im wondering what the torque specs are for the front and rear diff covers. Doing basic maintenance and oil change.

Later... new suspension parts installation. :D

Found the trans pan specs. 144in lbs or 12ft lbs

cucvrus

17 ft lbs on 5/16" M1009
23 ft lbs on 3/8" M1008/M1028/M1031/M1010 5/4 ton trucks
Or do like I do tighten them up and move on. I never torqued a differential cover.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1009 & M1008, TM says 35 ftlbs for the front and rear dif cover bolts.

It's in the -34 TM, under axles.

Last edited:

cucvrus

There you have it. What do I know I was looking a Fastenal bolt torque poster I have in my shop. I would not torque a 5/16" to 35 lbs. But if you read it on the internet and in a book it must be true. I will get back to my Marlboro's. And if you knew the answer why did you wait for me to get home to answer it? D-

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
35 ft/lbs sounds high to me.

Yea it sounded high to me too. But given they didn't want to come off. I don't think they had ever been serviced. I expect the 4wd line to be good. The front diff oil was spotless. The rear was not. Lol to put it lightly. All functions fine tho. Everything a ok.

Cucvrus. Love the name by the way. Im just wondering what you ment by 5/16 and 3/8. Is it the lug size or diff cover bolt size? Dont mean to get anyone in a fuss lol

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tighten it up without trying to break it off and move on.

I agree with fLU & CUCVRUS
Ive never torqued a cover either.

Also agree with DH that 35ft/lbs seems high.