• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 cracked head off starter

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you posted the part numbers and contact info for where you bought all the stuff to fix this problem, you might help others in the future.

irishvin

Ok so here were I got everything. To help anyone else out with same problem

gm oem part # 235022557 starter mount bracket
from modernautonet.com off ebay for $12.39. Part number 3 in picture
$_3.JPG

also off ebay
ac delci part #15544950 starter bolts for $5 for a box of 5
from Dustyjay54

Ebay as well
24 volt gear reduction starter 28mt for 6.2l military cucv part #10479611 from urqualitysolutions
$T2eC16Z,!ysE9sy0i3e)BRp8JkD2YQ~~60_3.JPG

Thats were I got. Everything free shippong on the starter and bracket ill let you know the quality of the stuff

Baer

HELP! I replaced my tired starter with a new gear reduction starter and everything worked great... for a couple of weeks. Then I got in and turned the key to get nothing. I thought maybe it was me and tried a second time to again have it work perfectly. That was a few days ago and things continued to work perfectly... until today. I was driving around town parking and starting several times this morning and then again I got nothing on my last attempt. I tried several times to get maybe a faint click of the relay under the dash but not a single sound out of the starter. Could my relay (original factory style) went bad????

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always test your batteries first. Then connections and then the starter.

Baer

Switched out the relay under the dash (easiest thing to do and dry even in the rain) but same same. So this Saturday, with help, I'll look into it... now that I had it towed home again. Just off hand I think my M1008 was from a mechanized unit and not a ranger unit because it seems to ride more often than it runs.

TedO

Why is everybody having problems with the 24V starter??? My starter on my 1986 M1008 was sticking a little too much, so I removed it and put in its place a 24 V starter that I bought from ebay. First thing I noticed was that it was difficult to install. It took me more than an hour to get the front bracket connected and get the starter bolts lined up. Why so difficult? The old one came off so easily. Then when I started, I heard a new sound, a metallic grind/ring. It still started, it just didnt sound good.

When I got my original starter back from rebuild, I put them side be side, then I could see that the Ebay 24V has a bigger nose cone. I took the shield off, and I could see that the starter nose dug right into the side of the engine block. I put my old one on, and it fit perfectly, no contact with the block. Started it up, and no metal grinding sound. It sounded great.

My conclusions:

1) always take the metal shield over off when removing or installing the starter. This way you can see what is going on with the nose cone. With the cover off, you can position the ebay starter a little better, then after the starter is completly bolted in and secure, then put the cover on and tighten it so it fits over the starter, not the other way around (trying to install starter with a tight cover in place)..

2) Best solution is to hang on to your old starter, and just keep getting it rebuilt.

3) I think I was having the sticking problem because the heat shield is missing in my truck, as it is missing in most trucks. I think I was getting a lot of sticking because the exhaust manifold was radiating its heat direction on to the starter, and this probably degraded the lubrication. I wrapped the new rebuilt starter with heat shield tape. I will see how long it takes to get it to stick. So far its been 1.5 weeks and no sticks, no grinds. Starter heaven.

I can see how the block might get cracked. If an ebay starter was installed without taking off the cover, then the nose cone will be contacting the block. All it would take is a slightly loose bolt, then you would get some battering ram action of the nose cone into the block, every time you started it.

Baer

Great reminders TedO. I replaced mine with an aftermarket high speed starter. As I remember I had to make/change out a mounting bracket but no problem since then.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazon also sells the factory GM starter bracket for the GR starter, along with the acdelco starter bolts.
Just fyi

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can say, removing a starter is almost always easier than installing one. Mainly because gravity helps with the removal, not so much the install. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks